ITP Regulated Return and/or FASS pump - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2009, 08:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ITP Regulated Return and/or FASS pump

Ok so I finally got gauges on my truck and the motor is studded now.

Currently have straight piped stock exhaust, AFE stage 1 intake with pro-guard 7 filter, planning on doing zoodad, and a custom tune SCT from Innovative as well as the studs now. I am also waiting for warmer weather to delete the EGR cooler.

Now what...

I am thinking of calling Eric up for a bigger tune now that I've got the gauges in, something for me to drive and probalby some sort of dyno tune. I'm thinking I'm going to need some more fuel. I only street drive the truck with a rare tow tossed in (once a year for anything significant).

I'm looking at a FASS pump and the ITP rr kit (also looking at the airdog setup too instead of the FASS, but I dont think that matters..). My question is which would you do first and why?f Does it matter which is done first? Would one benefit me more now than the other? I got another dyno session coming up in may of this year, and it takes me a while to save money. Just trying to plan ahead here...

Thanks all!

Last edited by mdub707; 02-16-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2009, 10:47 AM

I did the RR before I purchased the airdog. With the RR you adjust the fuel pressure to your liking, I could turn it up to 75psi if I wanted, but I usually keep it at 68psi, at WOT it tips down to 54psi . With the airdog it really smoothed out the motor and I could feel alot more pull in the topend. I dont have any tunes yet. From what I have read about Fass is they are not to reliable.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:55 AM
one day at a time

I did the ITP RR and Airdog 150 at the same time. The Airdog pushes fuel and utilizes the factory HCFM but still provides plenty of fuel for stock or slightly upgraded injectors. I'm not a big fan of the FASS pumps either, have just heard of too many failures. The airdog and ITP RR combo is a great setup for most street driven trucks. I do plan on adding a raptor pump and getting rid of the HFCM when I get a set of 190's. Be warned though, since you didn't do the RR when you had the cab off for the head studs, the rear return lines are a PITA! If you're not a GREAT mechanic I'd advise enlisting the help or paying someone with the experience to do the job for you... I had a ford master diesel tech install mine, and it took him 4 hours (cab on) and half of that was just fitting the 2 return lines at the back of the heads. If you do it yourself with a buddy, plan on an all day job...
Old 02-16-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu873 View Post
I did the ITP RR and Airdog 150 at the same time. The Airdog pushes fuel and utilizes the factory HCFM but still provides plenty of fuel for stock or slightly upgraded injectors. I'm not a big fan of the FASS pumps either, have just heard of too many failures. The airdog and ITP RR combo is a great setup for most street driven trucks. I do plan on adding a raptor pump and getting rid of the HFCM when I get a set of 190's. Be warned though, since you didn't do the RR when you had the cab off for the head studs, the rear return lines are a PITA! If you're not a GREAT mechanic I'd advise enlisting the help or paying someone with the experience to do the job for you... I had a ford master diesel tech install mine, and it took him 4 hours (cab on) and half of that was just fitting the 2 return lines at the back of the heads. If you do it yourself with a buddy, plan on an all day job...

Nonsense!

At the time the purchase of the studs was cutting deeply into funds. Most of my money goes to my monthly payment and fuel to drive it! haha.

I can install it myself. I've done a vegistroke install myself so I know what I'm getting myself into with those fuel lines on the back of the motor. Frustrating for sure, but doable.

I'm all about trying to learn as much as I can with these trucks. This is my first diesel and I'm learning as I go, but at the end of the day its all nuts and bolts like everything else I wrench on!

Its funny you guys mention the Airdog, because if anything that is probably what I'll get (despite my thread title). My parts guy always sells those over the FASS pumps, and he's recommended the airdog to me.

OK anyways, at this time I'm not really planning for injectors. I mean maybe later, but not for at least a year. I'm just thinking in order of what mods need to be done when the day does come. So if you had to buy one before the other, would you get the airdog or the ITP RR? Why one over the other, or should they both definitely be done in conjunction with each other? IF I have to do both at once, I can, but it will take a while longer for me to save that much cahs! haha

Thanks guys, Mike
Old 02-16-2009, 12:41 PM
one day at a time

I admire your drive to do your own work. I do a lot of my own, but sometimes I feel it's worth it on certain things to pay someone to ensure somethings done right the first time. I'm an average shade tree mechanic myself and can do most anything if given the time. But with a wife and 2 kids time isn't something I always have much of...

To your question, I'd do the RR first. Reasoning is that the RR will do more for your injectors than the airdog will if done one at a time IMO. It will give a constant flow of fuel all the way through the heads, and eliminate the fuel dead heading at the back of the heads. The airdog would be your logical next step then for the air/water separation benefits and would ensure you have nothing but clean fresh fuel available to the injectors...
Old 02-16-2009, 01:14 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
.......the rear return lines are a PITA! If you're not a GREAT mechanic I'd advise enlisting the help or paying someone with the experience to do the job for you... I had a ford master diesel tech install mine, and it took him 4 hours (cab on) and half of that was just fitting the 2 return lines at the back of the heads. If you do it yourself with a buddy, plan on an all day job...

I will agree with Kurt about it being a PITA, but I did the whole job by myself in the driveway in 4 1/2 hours and that's with hand tools. If I had it to do over again I wouldn't have done the RR with the FASS. It's a royal PITA to get it balanced. RR with an Airdog as a pusher pump to the stock pump seems to handle quite a load from all accounts that I've read and you don't have to worry about the return regulator hampering the FASS regulator.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:07 PM

Also if you go with a FASS(that and Airdog are almost virtually the same as far as I can tell based on lit and pictures), make sure you get a bigger spring for the return line. The biggest that they offer standard is a 50 psi spring, you should get 60 psi. Why they do just the 50 I don't know.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I admire your drive to do your own work. I do a lot of my own, but sometimes I feel it's worth it on certain things to pay someone to ensure somethings done right the first time. I'm an average shade tree mechanic myself and can do most anything if given the time. But with a wife and 2 kids time isn't something I always have much of...

To your question, I'd do the RR first. Reasoning is that the RR will do more for your injectors than the airdog will if done one at a time IMO. It will give a constant flow of fuel all the way through the heads, and eliminate the fuel dead heading at the back of the heads. The airdog would be your logical next step then for the air/water separation benefits and would ensure you have nothing but clean fresh fuel available to the injectors...
Thanks! I agree, some things should be done by professionals. I gotta at least try though. I hate paying people for work I can clearly do myself.

So will you notice an increase in power from the RR? I know they have the larger banjo fittings and lines, but will I really notice this? Or is this more of a preventative/supportive mod and logical to do before going bigger with other things?
Old 02-16-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdub707 View Post
Or is this more of a preventative/supportive mod and logical to do before going bigger with other things?
I would approach it from this angle myself.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex25025 View Post
I would approach it from this angle myself.
Ok thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.