smoke switch only when cold - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2009, 08:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy smoke switch only when cold

Hey, guys i have been searching high and low for an answer to my question. I have a 2004 6.0 cc sb with 5'' straight pipe afe stage 2 and edge juice with attitude i got a good deal on it. I recently did the smoke switch mod and it only works when the motor is cold, like if it sits over night. when i start it in the morning, and powerbrake it with the switch on (turbo off) it smokes like a hog. But if the truck warms up it does nothing. could this have to do with the egr or do i possibly need a boost fooler? or would i be better off just hooking it all back up to stock and not worryin about it. its a sweet mod when it works but it defeats the purpose if i cant use it when the truck is warmed up. maybe i should just get an sct any input would be awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2009, 08:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

my truck smokes like a champ with the turbo off, but im running an sct with spartan tunes. my friend has the edge and his barely smokes with the turbo off, so im guessing its the way the tune is. cause it smokes more with the turbo spoolin.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to jhaddox
ya the edge doesnt let it put full fuel to the engine at low boost...with the sct you can so basically the edge adds fuel when boost is added...it disables that when its cold to warm the engine...but when it reaches a certain temp that stops and the edge cuts back the fuel until it sees certain boost numbers

-Basically SCT is ur answer
Old 02-13-2009, 09:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

is there a way to trick the map sensor or something to make it think its making full boost so the edge allows more fuel? my buddy has a dodge obviously not a vgt turbo, and he wired his edge into the map would this work on the 6.0? If it won't maybe its time to start savin for sct:burnout. xcal3 vs. livewire? besides the monitoring capabilities of livewire
Old 02-13-2009, 10:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to jhaddox
id say x3...the the livewire you cant mount anywhere besides suctioning to your windsheild...the x3 you can just unplug after you tune it and put it in your center console or whereever you want...as for wiring it in im not sure...im thinkin no...plus the edge will tear up your trans on that truck...do your truck and trans the favor and drop the cash on the x3 with custom tuning
Old 02-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

thats a big 10-4. could i set the edge to level 0 and use it to monitor the xcal3? or do need to drop some benjamins for gauges as well? what about doin an edge insight with the xcal3? would that work?
Old 02-14-2009, 12:22 AM
My 6OH Hates Me

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powersmoke View Post
thats a big 10-4. could i set the edge to level 0 and use it to monitor the xcal3? or do need to drop some benjamins for gauges as well? what about doin an edge insight with the xcal3? would that work?
yes if you set it to 0 you could just use it as guages with an X3 or an insight works well. Thats the set up I have.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

thanks for all the help guys! i think im gonna go sct custom tunes with insight monitor it seems like it will be a good set up. as for the smoke switch i'll leave it on untill i get the sct. thanks again for all your guys' inputs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.