WHY ALL THE BANKS COMPLAINTS! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 09:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
WHY ALL THE BANKS COMPLAINTS!

Have owned my 05 CC longbox since new. Have owned 3 dodge duallys numerous chevies and will say my FORD has been my favorite TRUCK! MODs I have done myself are 6 in. lift pro-comp, wish RIZE was available then. Stainless Magnaflow turbo-back, Down-Pipe with exhaust wrap. 08 20 in. rims. Ran predator- trans-slips, loss of power with lots of smoke, sits on work-bench. Thought of SCT but liked Banks theories on diesel tuning with no smoke and being able to change parameters with a PDA. My truck has new EGR valve unpluged no CODES on 05 trucks, new FICM, with no tune mileage gain was huge and truck works well. Ready to try Banks or SCT. HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2009, 10:03 PM
scuffs *****

Send a message via AIM to Tyler
SCT will work better with shifting. Banks is pretty hard on the trannies and it will not last as long.
SCT is the way to go.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 03f250stroke
i would go with the sct. ready i say that is because of the possibilities that custom tuning has over canned tunes. for example, every truck is different so tuners out there can adjust truck by truck, with the banks, edge, stupidchips whatever, they are already loaded into the programmer and it just is what it is. the custom programmer can adjust drive pressure, torque converter lockup, shifting, daily, race, towing, mileage. its really endless with custom programmers.

I would do more research around here before making your purchase, call around and talk to vendors, try calling different tuners. it will be obvious which way to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97StrokerG View Post
SCT will work better with shifting. Banks is pretty hard on the trannies and it will not last as long.
SCT is the way to go.
actually banks is so conservative that it could barely hurt the trans. if you want some bad shifting and tranny problems then buy a bully dog
Old 02-11-2009, 04:51 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by myshak View Post
Have owned my 05 CC longbox since new. Have owned 3 dodge duallys numerous chevies and will say my FORD has been my favorite TRUCK! MODs I have done myself are 6 in. lift pro-comp, wish RIZE was available then. Stainless Magnaflow turbo-back, Down-Pipe with exhaust wrap. 08 20 in. rims. Ran predator- trans-slips, loss of power with lots of smoke, sits on work-bench. Thought of SCT but liked Banks theories on diesel tuning with no smoke and being able to change parameters with a PDA. My truck has new EGR valve unpluged no CODES on 05 trucks, new FICM, with no tune mileage gain was huge and truck works well. Ready to try Banks or SCT. HELP!
If you go with Banks, it WILL set an EGR code in the PDA which can't be cleared and it will defuel the truck. Had that problem with mine after I blocked off the EGR. Sold it right after and am saving for the SCT with custom files. I suggest staying away from Banks. Just my .
Old 02-11-2009, 04:57 AM

Why would you even want Banks when there are obviously better options available?
Old 02-11-2009, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Duraturd View Post
Why would you even want Banks when there are obviously better options available?
Most people dont know. When you open a diesel mage the first 4 pages are Banks. That is why we are here.

You can do some research on tuners for the 6.0. But they all are going to point to SCT. Once you get the SCT than you need to figure out whos custom tunes you want to go with.

The first thing you should be looking at is gauges. You will need EGT BOOST TRANS TEMP. Unless you go with the Live Wire with the EGT option.

Hope this helps. and welcome to the ORG
Old 02-11-2009, 05:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to jhaddox
banks is just to over priced...you can get a lot better product for less money
Old 02-11-2009, 06:56 AM

I have the Banks Six Gun on my truck. I have had it for 40,000 (plus) miles and have had no problems.
In the 40 plus thousand miles Ive put on the truck, with the Banks, it has only been in setting #6, two times.....so needless to say, I do not "hot rod" my truck. I drive it everyday in setting #3.

I think most problems (with any tuner) are driver induced.

Plain and simple, trucks are not meant to be driven like they are Corvette's.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:01 AM
a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRRAT View Post
I have the Banks Six Gun on my truck. I have had it for 40,000 (plus) miles and have had no problems.
In the 40 plus thousand miles Ive put on the truck, with the Banks, it has only been in setting #6, two times.....so needless to say, I do not "hot rod" my truck. I drive it everyday in setting #3.

I think most problems (with any tuner) are driver induced.

Plain and simple, trucks are not meant to be driven like they are Corvette's.
Im not to sure about that statement, diesels can easily be built to be driven like corvettes

The big thing is that banks is just so well advertised so people assume they are the best but the truth is there are other options out there and In my opinion there are much better options out there, a custom tuned SCT for a 6.0 or a custom tuned chip for a 7.3 are much better options due to the fact that they are custom tuned to your vehicles specific needs and can be tuned to control shift points on the trans as well as other aspects so if you want to pay extra for banks that is your decision its your money but the truth is there are better options out there.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:16 AM

Well said, Matt.
I know their are many other tuners on the market. SCT, looks to be a great product. I purchased my Banks off of Craigslist from a former F250 owner who traded it in for a Tundra. He misses owning a diesel now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.