Sinister Y-Pipe Power Gains??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2014, 05:39 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sinister Y-Pipe Power Gains???

Anyone see the power gains advertised for Sinister's y-pipe; increase of 65hp/148ftlb on stock 6.0, 121hp/289ftlb if truck has a performance tune on it?

I'm having a very hard time believing the numbers, anyone use one?

Sinister Diesel 6.0L Powerstroke Y-Pipes
CaryLab likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2014, 05:59 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I don't have that setup personally but my answer would be
Old 08-21-2014, 06:17 PM

Agreed, I don't believe the numbers, but was wondering if there is any power to be gained by an aftermarket y-pipe such as Sinster's.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Think about it.... those are close to the gains of adding just a performance tune.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:51 PM
smoke=cool=little kid

I ran them, didn't notice any gains besides about 40 drop of egts on the top end. It felt like it "spooled" quicker, not to be confused with "lit off" it just helped air flow and had NO restrictions. It was a really smooth setup inside
Old 08-22-2014, 05:05 AM
...swamp trash...

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Honestly.... I am surprised they aren't blue and don't have a flaming pit bull ripping out of them... Maybe that's the model they are talking about. I kinda think sinister is like what Guy Fieri is to hamburgers. You ever eaten at one of his restaurants?! Its like you get a Burger that's called the "Mango, shrimp, wasabi ripping Azz Ben Franklin Burger", take all that unecessary crap off and it's just a burger. Same thing with Sinister, unnecessary blingy crap on there products. Sorry.... I heard its a nice product and its gotten good reviews on here, but 65 HP... I don't think so mang.
SargentoPistola and F3502wd like this.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:09 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
When I saw those numbers a few months ago I thought is sounded a little high... but then I remember what they posted AND WHAT THEY DIDNT POST.

I am sure that is a true number and very plausible... but think about this...

They did not state that peak power or peak torque went up, but that there was an increase... it could have been at any rpm for many different reasons.

They did not post the dyno graph to see the actual difference? Anyone who just posts numbers without a dyno graph is usually trying to deceive someone. Why would you take the time to dyno test, make a big fancy add with pictures, and then just state the numbers with no graph???

Before swapping did they verify the truck had good stock pipes? Or could they have been blown up pipes that were leaking really bad?

Here is an easy representation of "deceiving numbers"... I am not saying that is what they did... but why not post up the dyno graph and more info so we know they didn't.

You can the blue line has an increase of almost 150 ft/lbs of torque for the red dyno

You can see the black line had almost a 75hp increase for the red dyno

But the green line made more peak hp and peak torque...

The reasons the red line made "more power" is because it spooled up faster... by approximately 75rpms??? Thats it... you would not be able to tell the difference between these two setups on the street. Trust me... they were my dynos and my truck. This was just used to show how you can deceive people by just posting numbers.

IMPORTANT>>> I am no way saying that there is anything wrong with the sinister pipes... In fact... I have a set on the way right now

Last edited by peixinho; 08-22-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:43 PM

I have a set on my truck and honestly i'm surprised how nice they fit and how well the MadMaX Spools with the 175/75's it's more noticeable than Adrian's modified up pipe flanges made to my stock pipes.

No complaints whatsoever.

d
Old 08-22-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc82 View Post
Honestly.... I am surprised they aren't blue and don't have a flaming pit bull ripping out of them... Maybe that's the model they are talking about. I kinda think sinister is like what Guy Fieri is to hamburgers. You ever eaten at one of his restaurants?! Its like you get a Burger that's called the "Mango, shrimp, wasabi ripping Azz Ben Franklin Burger", take all that unecessary crap off and it's just a burger. Same thing with Sinister, unnecessary blingy crap on there products. Sorry.... I heard its a nice product and its gotten good reviews on here, but 65 HP... I don't think so mang.
Nailed it. Tired of company's throwing obnoxious crap onto otherwise quality products. I passed on the sinister coolant filter for this reason.

And Guy Fieri is literally a clown. I've watched him all of five minutes and hated him. Plus dudes with highlights and soul patches aren't to be trusted.
downfour and Merc82 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to SargentoPistola For This Useful Post:
Merc82 (08-22-2014)
Old 08-22-2014, 03:42 PM
Premium Member

I don't believe anyone's supposed HP gain numbers on aftermarket performance parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.