JLTV Valanx help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2014, 09:10 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
JLTV Valanx help

As some of you may know, we have a military vehicle habit (addiction). It's getting worse...

We just acquired 2 BAE Valanx prototypes... Valanx - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know what you're thinking. "Cool! But why?" There are many justifiable answers to this, including:

1) What says Bullet Proof Diesel better than this? Advertising FTW! (eat my shorts tax-man!)

2) The Zombie Apocalypse... It's only a matter of time.

3) The drive-through at McDonalds isn't as safe as it used to be.

4) Date night FTW!

5) Boys and their toys FTW!

6) "Dad of the Year" award when you drive the kids to school in one of those babies!

7) IT HAS A TURRET MOUNT IN THE ROOF!

8) You never know when those pesky neighbor kids will set up an IED in your driveway.

9) It is an effective means to communicate your punctuality expectations when your daughter's date arrives to pick her up...

10) Really? You know you would have one too if the wife would allow it!

(note: FTW means For The Win! in case you didn't know)

While the above reasons are relevant, the main reason we do this is for the opportunities and knowledge gained in taking on the challenge. It's one of the ways we grow personally, professionally, and as a business. When you step off into unknown territory, your world becomes a bigger place.

Both our Chieftain Tank and FV432 APC are of an older vintage. Information and parts are readily available. Also there are thousands of very helpful veterans out there with volumes of information just waiting to help.

Our 2 BAE Valanx JLTVs are prototypes and very modern. What this means is that there are no instruction manuals, wiring diagrams, old timers with field experience, spare NOS parts or other resources for us to tap into.

The good news is that we are fairly clever and we have you, the good members of the .Org to ask for help.

Here is where we sit:

Both JLTVs currently don't run. (I believe) They have MaxxForce 6.0 (aka 6.0 Powerstroke) engines. They have 24v electrical systems. One will crank over but won't start. The other won't crank over and seems to be lacking power to the engine computer system.

While we have considerable knowledge on the 6.0 Powerstroke engine and electronics, we don't have much experience with the Navistar Defense electronics.

So, if you feel like you might have information or input that could help us out, please feel free to offer up suggestions or advice. We will be posting up pictures, questions, and solutions as we move forward with the restoration of these 2 beasts.
Qholic and jmeaby like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2014, 09:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Merc82 and bgraiders323 like this.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:31 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
congrats, and great write up.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:05 AM
American and Proud

do they use OBD2 or something like what a Semi would use?
Old 08-19-2014, 10:15 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior125 View Post
do they use OBD2 or something like what a Semi would use?
Good question. The interface plug that I found on one of them is the same as would be on a Semi.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:18 AM
American and Proud

I'd be curious if it's throwing anything in the computer that isn't allowing it to start, any idea if it's like an early 6.0 or later?
Old 08-19-2014, 10:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

What are the exact models? They have a few parts from ISSPRO on them. Unfortunately when Navistar relocated Engineering from Fort Wayne to a Chicago suburb they lost most of their engineering talent, and I doubt the design engineers from that project are still on board. I know a couple of former engineers as well and they might be able to help find people who know the product.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

BTW, I think most of those used the SAE J1939 communications for their diagnostics. If you have a Navistar dealer nearby you might see if their tools will communicate, otherwise try some generic J1939 diagnostic tools.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:28 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior125 View Post
I'd be curious if it's throwing anything in the computer that isn't allowing it to start, any idea if it's like an early 6.0 or later?
It's probably a 2006-07ish vintage system.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:15 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
What are the exact models? They have a few parts from ISSPRO on them. Unfortunately when Navistar relocated Engineering from Fort Wayne to a Chicago suburb they lost most of their engineering talent, and I doubt the design engineers from that project are still on board. I know a couple of former engineers as well and they might be able to help find people who know the product.
Here are some pictures of the dash area:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.