muffler cut off gains - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 05:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
muffler cut off gains

My 03 6.0l is 100% stock. Although I have a things in mind with the truck but a fast truck isn't it. I want it to sound good and tow my car around when needed. My brothers buddy has an 04 and he recommended me cutting off the exhuast just before the bed. Apparently it sounds great but I'm curious if there's any gains from this and would it be stupid loud in the truck. My mexico race car had open open headers and there was massive drone. Don't want that out of a DD rig..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2014, 05:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

get a aftermarket extaust...it'll be way to loud in the cab for a dd but thats my .
Old 08-12-2014, 05:46 AM

Id suggest you run something like the Diamond Eye 5" straight turbo back set up. Price was very reasonable. The set up seems to be very well built and I agree,f you cut it off just behind the cab the cab drone is gonna be BRUTAL!
Old 08-12-2014, 06:06 AM
Premium Member

I have a 4" diamond eye exhaust with muffler in my average Joe truck and it does well on Dyno. I also have a truck with 4" straight pipe and it is too loud for me. Both are full exhaust, and exit in stock location, the straight piped one has that has high rap noise when at WOT, that's what I don't like. The truck with the mufflers sounds little more quite at cruise and less high rap noise at WOT. The muffler is a straight through design so doesn't restrict a thing. I just picked up two mufflers that have a little bit of scoups to see how I like the sound. The cat is the biggest blocker, other then that there isn't any gain from going without a muffler.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:09 AM

I'd say no gains, especially if you're talking about any power gains. Nothing you would probably notice.

There was a difference going from full stock exhaust to a turbo back exhaust though. Slightly quicker feeling spool, and it jumps up quicker on my gauge to.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:25 PM
Premium Member

Just remember for the 03 and with a straight pipe its going to be alot louder then what it is now. Primarily the turboo whistle.

Pretty sure alot of the restriction in the stock setup is in the cat anyways. You could clean that out and leave everything the way it is if you dont want to get a new exhaust. 4" should be plenty if your not going crazy with anything else.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I took the muffler off and didn't notice any drone. At idle the engine is louder than the exhuast lol. I haven't really looked at the cat yet but if I take that off will it throw a code? I have noticed you can hear the turbo alot better and under wot it sounds like it loads up like it's dumping massive fuel. But cruising it kinda sounds like a jet. Now wouldn't the cat convertor net some money to put towards a SS 4in straight pipe? Cars go for like 75$ and I figured these should Net a hell lot more.. so only gains I'll see is the hill billy weight reduction
Old 08-13-2014, 08:37 AM

If you take the Cat off there will be no code thrown for it in a 03. I had to put my cat back in after I cut it to a 4inch in and out. With it out you could hear it a 1/4 mile away with the 03 turbo.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:43 AM

I actually noticed a slightly increase in spool up time when I did my exhaust. However I think once you get up mo ing some air it feels stronger up top. You will get a drop in egts but bottom end you lose a little too you gain a little
Old 08-13-2014, 09:09 AM

Ya I've heard that one to with the 4'' downpipe. The kit on mine is 3.5'' dp and 4'' cat back with the delete and just added 5'' from axle back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.