New Fuel System Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dieseldan73

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2014, 12:36 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Fuel System Questions

Hello, finally got my new fuel system complete. Got a Beans sump, -10 to water seperator, Fuelab 41402, 2 micron filter, -8 up to y-block, then -6 to each head and -6 to Fuelab regulator and back to the tank. First question is how much is horsepower affected by low pressure? I always thoughty truck ran great and had a lot of power even though I was dropping into the lower 20's at WOT. It now holding 55psi at WOT and doesn't drop more then 1 psi, but the truck feels like it has a lot more power. I thought I was imaging it, but I took my friend with me who knows my truck really well and he agrees it has a lot more ballz. He says it feels like I changed injectors. Could that low fuel pressure been costing me that much horsepower?
Next questions is about my pre head and post head pressures. Before the pressure at my fuel bowl and regulator were always within 1 psi. Now I have pre head at my y-block and post head at the regulator and the pre head one reads 8 psi higher? They are same sending units I had before and I even swapped them thinking one could be messed up, but they're not. but could it be that the Fuelab pumps so much fuel that the lines coming from the y-block to the heads and the 90 degree fittings are restrictive? Has anyone else have both pre head and post head fuel pressure readings with aftermarket pumps? I set the regulator to the regulator sensor since I want my injectors to have 55 psi, but now my pre head one has about 62-63 psi. Just wondering if this is normal or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2014, 03:10 AM
Premium Member

That is interesting, I only measure at the regulator, I don't know that of anyone monitoring both. I could take a guess at it, but wouldn't be accurate. Maybe someone else can explain why, and I will ask around to see if I can find a answer for you.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:17 AM
Premium Member

I started monitoring both when I began having problems last year. It was always within 1 psi of each other, the pre-head always being higher. Now pre-head is 8-9 psi higher. I'm thinking it has to do with the pressure of the new pump. I figured someone has to monitor both, I can't be the only one. Also, I have the 41402 running at reduced voltage.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:28 PM
Premium Member

All these views and no comments. Maybe I am the only one with 2 fuel pressure gauges.
ODAWG714 likes this.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:56 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I will say that you are the first guy that I have ever heard of checking your fuel pressure both pre and post cylinder head (especially at the same time). I know that the 41402 on reduced flow setting will flow what an A1000 does at 100% output. So it is not surprising that with 100+ gph of flow you're seeing 8 psi higher fuel pressure before the heads as opposed to after the heads considering that the openings of the 90* fuel fittings are only about 1/4in in diameter. And when you combine that with length of line that the fuel has to go to make it to the regulator, the 8 psi of extra pumping pressure to get the flow (especially at low fuel demand situations like idle) seems reasonable. Hope this helps.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:57 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Nothing here ... Plus the first time I read this I stopped at you asking if fuel pressure affects HP.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:00 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_GD View Post
Nothing here ... Plus the first time I read this I stopped at you asking if fuel pressure affects HP.
Fuel pressure definitely affects HP. I had an issue and had to limp home on only 8 psi of fuel pressure and the truck had like no power at all. It really struggled to get up the hills and out of its own way. Now does fuel pressure dropping from mid 50s to low 40s affect power?? I have no idea on that one. I wouldn't think it would help power that is for sure.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:09 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_GD View Post
I didn't ask if it affected horsepower, I knew it did, but I didn't know that it would have made that big of a difference. I was dropping into the mid 20's. The truck feels like it gained 30-40 HP.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:20 AM
Premium Member

Nate, thanks for the response. I was really thinking that it pump volume that was causing the difference in pressures. And as far as the question about the amount of horsepower, no one could ever get me an answer. I just figured possibly 10-15 HP max at the drop it was seeing. It wasn't going into the teens or lower, but I know 10-15 doesn't give the seat of the pants feeling that this did.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:23 AM
Premium Member

Nate, Bryan posted on Facebook about maybe you guys doing a dyno event in Akron, Ohio on August 30th. Is that going to still happen? Haven't heard anything about it lately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.