New Build Suggestions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2014, 06:07 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Build Suggestions

Hoping you guys could help me out here a little bit. A little background on the truck/build. I have an 06 f250 with 140xxx on the clock. Was my daily driver/farm truck/plow and salt truck for several years. This spring I decided to get a rust free bed to put on it, then that turned into wanting a rust free cab and then into basically a body off rebuild. The initial plans were to keep the build small and still daily drive the truck. However my mind has now changed and I plan on this truck being a trailer queen and built for sled pulling in the 2.6 class.

Truck already has been bulletproofed and has had no issues since. I'm in the process if putting together a complete new fuel system, lines and all that should have no problem flowing what I will need fuel wise.

I have plans to go with 205/100 injectors most likely from Warren. I had originally planned on pairing this up with a turbo from either Barder or KC. However I have recently started looking at non-vgt setups and it has my brain spinning with so many options and ideas. I know a non-vgt will take longer to build boost which is really not an issue for my plans. What is your guys recommendation on a setup? I am limited to a 2.6 inducer bore so can't do much over 66mm. I know there are other pieces to my setup that I am missing such as dual hpop, ported intake, cai, tranny etc, but I think I have most of those figured out and they will fall into place once I decide on turbo and sticks.

Throw out some ideas here guys. Looking for a good setup that will put me in the 650rwhp range to start. Maybe there is something key I am missing. Any questions just ask. I didn't want to bore you with two pages of my build plans, so if there is something you need to know ask away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2014, 06:20 AM
Premium Member

Might want to look into a cam as well, it will expand your powerband and help the motor breath better.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGman141 View Post
Might want to look into a cam as well, it will expand your powerband and help the motor breath better.
A cam is on the build list. I plan on getting the truck together first and then doing a full bottom up build when I save up some more cash.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:02 PM
Premium Member

I don't like non-vgt for the street, towing, but I believe they work really well for a drag and pulling trucks. I would go to Barder , he builds good turbo, and knows non-vgt well. He might have suggestion based off some of his customers running non-vgt. I also know of a guy that runs a 63mm non-vgt built by Fleece in the 2.5 class. He has 205/100 and put down 650rwhp on a dyno, and does well in pulls. His truck was in diesel power magazine, a while back. Hope your build works out for you.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:04 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My recommendation would be to not build a "2.6" 6.0. You'll just get killed with 205/100s. I'd recommend sticking with like a work stock type class, using a 2.5 turbo, and with 205/100s and dual HPOPs, you'll be in the 600-650hp range.

I worked with KC to build a 2.5 VGT sled pulling turbo. I'm sure he'd be happy to talk with u on it more. Hope this helps.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:32 AM

Thanks Nate I'll talk to KC and see what he has to offer. I currently pull work stock, but the rules fluctuate to much from pull to pull to "build" a truck. In work stock we can't run a dual HPOP and some places won't even allow traction bars or spring clamps. After speaking with a few builders yesterday we are going to build more for the 2.5 class and bump up to 2.6 if 2.5 isn't offered. Around here they have a 2.5, 2.6 and 3.0 at almost all pulls.

Do you think sticking with a vgt turbo is best?
Old 07-29-2014, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
My recommendation would be to not build a "2.6" 6.0. You'll just get killed with 205/100s. I'd recommend sticking with like a work stock type class, using a 2.5 turbo, and with 205/100s and dual HPOPs, you'll be in the 600-650hp range.

I worked with KC to build a 2.5 VGT sled pulling turbo. I'm sure he'd be happy to talk with u on it more. Hope this helps.
Nate, do you have some contact info for KC? Thought I had it wrote down somewhere but can't seem to find it.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You can PM nate. He's a dealer for KC and knows all about them!
Old 07-29-2014, 06:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Personally I believe an upgraded hpop will do just fine, I know mine does with 225s. The efr 9180 would do well with those sticks imo and spool better than a box 66, which I have for sale.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:38 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2farm View Post
Thanks Nate I'll talk to KC and see what he has to offer. I currently pull work stock, but the rules fluctuate to much from pull to pull to "build" a truck. In work stock we can't run a dual HPOP and some places won't even allow traction bars or spring clamps. After speaking with a few builders yesterday we are going to build more for the 2.5 class and bump up to 2.6 if 2.5 isn't offered. Around here they have a 2.5, 2.6 and 3.0 at almost all pulls.

Do you think sticking with a vgt turbo is best?
Got ya. I didn't realize what your specific rules were. I think if you're doing anything other than a Work Stock class (where basically a 'stock appearing' turbo has to be used), I'd recommend ditching the VGT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.