More destruction - more fixing - Twoicebergs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 07:32 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
More destruction - more fixing - Twoicebergs

I thought a year ago I needed a new torque converter, but it turned out to be a loose tune. This past April I had a slight rumble and grind that lasted a few seconds under light acceleration, but I could not repeat it. Fast forward 2 months and it shows up again, but is was never repeatable. I did some stall tests and ran the diagnostics on the transmission and nothing shows up, except for slightly low line pressure. Happens again about 1 month later, again with no "smack me in the forehead with a 2x4" diagnosis. Go out an hour later and run a stall test and it stalls out at 1300 RPM; finally seems to show a problem, but no other symptoms or noise. Run stall again and it shows 1900-2000 RPM. Take my boat out to the lake and on the return trip it starts to slip with a bit of grind, almost like something is loose, then it runs fine. Changed the fluid and filters, dropped the pan and everything looks pretty reasonable, except for the grey mushroom on the magnet! Give it another stall test and it screeches like a bad turbo or up-pipe leak. I pull the turbo disassemble it and all is fine. Well, that was a waste of 2.5 hours, but at least I can tell Charlie the turbo is holding up just fine. Now I am back to realizing it was probably just the TC and perhaps the clutch pack were a bit worn (trans still shifts really well), I called Andy Warren and ordered the Comp Plus with the Stallion converter. The end point of the story is that the TC was not displaying a typical breakdown.

So 2 days later I am dragging the boat out to the lake. I thought I had a bit more drive left in it, but it started making rattling noises on the way home again, but this time I could push through the TC. The funny thing is, the fluid still looks and feels good and the temps were pretty steady at 158*. It is now parked waiting for the new transmission to arrive! If the delivery gods are on my side I will have it installed by Saturday, but I suspect it will show up after I head back out to work, so it might be another week or 2.

I will take some pictures of the pretty little thing when it arrives. I will cut the TC apart for some damage assessment. I may crack the trans as well. I guess the new lawnmower will have to wait until next year well maybe.
ZIKA and Lilpooh like this.

Last edited by twoicebergs; 07-21-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2014, 08:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

That's kinda funny that you mentioned the lawn mower becuase my "new zero turn" fund went to Andy Warren just this last May. Trans has been great though!
Old 07-22-2014, 02:39 AM
...swamp trash...

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
In for the pics!
Old 07-22-2014, 08:48 AM

Interesting as I believe my TC is getting pretty warn out also. I'm not hearing any noises from the TC or tranny...but the truck doesn't pull as hard and accelerate as it use to...especially when it goes into lockup. Just seems like it's gotten worse in the last few years. How did you do the stall tests?
Old 07-22-2014, 08:56 AM

are you doing the 09 in pan filter mod ? or do they ship them with it ?
Old 07-22-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokin6L View Post
Interesting as I believe my TC is getting pretty warn out also. I'm not hearing any noises from the TC or tranny...but the truck doesn't pull as hard and accelerate as it use to...especially when it goes into lockup. Just seems like it's gotten worse in the last few years. How did you do the stall tests?
Mines feeling the same way. Still pretty amazing the abuse a 5r can take in fairly stock form.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:29 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
are you doing the 09 in pan filter mod ? or do they ship them with it ?
I didn't ask, but I believe you need the new pan.

Quote:
How did you do the stall tests?
Brakes set on hard surface. Hold brake pedal fully down and ease into the accelerator pedal. As you approach 1,800 RPM keep pushing toward WOT. Depending on the set stall and power, it should stall out about 1900-2100 RPM, usually closer to the lower limit. Do it in both forward and reverse to eliminate solenoid issues. There are a number of other test based on IDLE and WOT in the various positions (P/N R D 3 2 1) if you have the diagnostic tools to check line pressure and SPCC x pressure, but these will usually just confirm already noticeable bad shifting issues that may be solenoid or clutch pack related.

I am speculating my TCC has failed (as in partially broken). With the excess amount of fuzz on the magnet, I conceded the transmission probably needed to be rebuilt soon, but again, there could be other problems lurking as I notice some cracking on the trans/transfer case adapter. Maybe I am just paranoid and it is just normal casting cracks. I won't know until it is all off.

I dove it today for about 12 miles and it ran fairly normally, but I was able to get a bit of noise out of it after a few hard accelerations.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:33 PM

He did mine with the "in pan" filter and just gave me an updated pan. Then simply remove the OE toilet paper filter.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:04 PM

Now when you say "stall"....am I looking for the engine to tall out? Not sure as I don't know squat about it haha!
Old 07-22-2014, 05:43 PM
Premium Member

It may in fact stall as in quit when you let off the pedal, but not usually. Stall means it will not rev past that point unless you break through the brakes or the TC or trans are broken. This is hard on all the parts, so it should only be done sporadically. However, the brake stand/boost launch crowd do it all the time and sometimes break their trucks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.