Aftermarket Intercoolers - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2014, 09:55 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Aftermarket Intercoolers

Lots of options out there, but not a lot of info. I'm having issues managing EGTs while towing through the mountains and foothills of BC and AB; an intercooler is part of the plan to get things right.

There really doesn't seem to be a side-by-side comparison of what does what best. even finding just the core dimensions can be difficult. I'm trying to narrow it down to an intercooler that will significantly lower EGTs without starving the radiator of cool air. Without knowing how well each intercooler cools and flows, as well as how much it disrupts & heats the airflow to the rad, it's made it difficult to shop.

I get no one here can do a side-side comparison, but who's running what, and what has it done for your EGTs, radiator effectiveness, power, etc. Cost is a factor I'll weigh later so I don't want to read how one or the other is the best bang for the buck... best cooling & flow vs. restricting the radiator is my biggest concern.

Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2014, 10:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have the banks technicolor and like it. Fit is great but I cannot really say if it does anything for performance. Maybe lowers EGT by 100*.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:12 PM
Premium Member

Did it affect your cooling system?
Old 07-18-2014, 04:29 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm running a spearco intercooler and noticed very little when swapping to it. My cooling system was not affected. However, I would not recommend an IC right now if you're stock. You will see better gains in a billet wheel for your stock turbo. You could do a ported intake manifold too. Both of these options will give you lower EGTs than an intercooler will and costs less too.
Merc82 likes this.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:06 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Lots of options out there, but not a lot of info. I'm having issues managing EGTs while towing through the mountains and foothills of BC and AB; an intercooler is part of the plan to get things right.
With you truck being stock, I am a little surprised you are having heat issues. What temps are you seeing and under what parameters? Obviously you can run into issues with load, grade, altitude and speed (driving style), but you should be able to keep it in 5th at 50-60 mph using tow/haul to keep the RPM up and temps down going up grades.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:46 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post
With you truck being stock, I am a little surprised you are having heat issues. What temps are you seeing and under what parameters? Obviously you can run into issues with load, grade, altitude and speed (driving style), but you should be able to keep it in 5th at 50-60 mph using tow/haul to keep the RPM up and temps down going up grades.
Most recent adventure - 17k combination, 55-65 mph, tow haul, 6-8% grades, 3.73s, 35 inch tires, 90f temps. Most of the time the temps stayed in the 1100-1250 range, but I don't like sitting in that bracket for up to 5 minutes at a time. Occasionally the temps spiked as high as 1350 halfway up the 7 and 8 % grades and I was forced to reduce my speed significcantly. One hill in particular I had to do 45 mph in a 75mph zone in order to keep the heat acceptable.

Previous mountain tow was in april running only a 14k combination. Ambient temp was around 0. Temps hit 1300 up a 7% grade at 70mph.

I am running a BPD oil cooler and do suffer stiction issues. But I can't imagine the oil cooler hampering my intercooler that much unless my intercooler is full of the CCV crud again.

Windrunner - This will be one of several upgrades including turbo, exhaust, FICM&PCM programming, etc.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:30 AM
Premium Member

changing your gear ratio will help a lot run 4:10-4:30's with your 35's
Old 07-18-2014, 02:04 PM
Premium Member

do the 4:30's and skip the 4:10's, I did the 4:10's on it really wasn't worth the money in the end, If your gone a tow with it, do the 4:30 and that should help a lot with egts.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

What altitude are you running at? Here at 6000' plus I can get 1400* just getting on the highway.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:01 PM
Premium Member

Calgary is about 3,600' and it only gets higher as you move into the mountains towards BC, so he will see varying terrain about as you would see in mid-southern Colorado & New Mexico. The foothills on the west side are considerably lower and the time at higher altitude is less than in Colorado.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.