BPD HD cooler and 155s towing review - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2014, 06:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
BPD HD cooler and 155s towing review

I'm in flagstaff AZ, Vegas tomorrow final destination, started in WA DC. Did the same trip with same load (reverse direction) with OEM fan, injectors, and BPD standard cooler exactly 2 years ago. The load is my 40' toyhauler that weighs 14 empty, with a 3200 lb car, and 2500 lbs of household items and tools. Ill weigh it tomorrow but I've towed the load many times its right at 30k. On my trip two years ago I has no issues with EGTs but did run high EOTs. Seen 240ish a good bit and got up to 265 on a long hard pull. Over the two years in DC I did some mods to try to fix this for return trip. I added 7.3 fan (BPD adapter) BPDs HD (taller) cooler and a mesh grille to promote higher airflow. I also added 155/30s.

I have now pulled across near the entire country and can say the BPD HD coolers are the end all be all, period. Same sections I flirted with 250 I was running 220. Highest EOT seen yet is 228 and that's long grades at 50 mph where it's toped out, the cooler is amazing. Combined with my 7.3 fan and mesh grille, overheating is a thing of the past. It's such a huge differance then last time I'm sure I could of kept the OEM Fan and grille and would of been fine. Thank you Ken and BPD my overheating issues are behind me.

Now the 155/30s, mixed feelings. In running a "heavy tow tune" with fuel pulled from the 155s for this heavy load. DC all the way thru TX no problem worked great, but in NM the elevation across the entire state is 6k, for whatever reason this is not good for the 155s, I have to monitor them and in OD could rocket past 1400 if I tried. I'm babying the throttle to barely squeak out 65mph at 1200 EGT (for hours). Just checked motor tonight and didn't melt anything, so I've proven you can run right at 1200 for two hours straight. I would just drive to keep pedal pressure to maintain 1200 and this got m 65 mph give or take. The speed limit is 75 but I can't get there. Before NM and the high elevations, 1100 EGT would keep me at 70mph all day long. So I have mixed feelings, yes you can tow but I feel I could of had more power on stock sticks in NM. Ill drop out of 6-7000 feet tomorrow and leave these worries behind me, but you guys that live at altitude, I'd recommend against.

I can't say enough good things about the BPD products, my truck runs like a champ and once again gets my Fam and toys across the country.
Evil Eye and 6.0newb! like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jetjock15 For This Useful Post:
kinnisoj (07-18-2014), Lilpooh (07-18-2014), rabpearson (07-17-2014), rr06psd (07-18-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2014, 07:00 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Nice, glad to see your high EOT temp problem is solved. I've also towed at 1200*f (egt) for several hours and my truck is still running strong as well. Makes me wonder if I should upgrade to the HD oil cooler as well.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:17 PM

I should add that in all the states before NM at altitudes 3k and below the 155s were great, completely controllable and noticeably more pulling power then I've ever had.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:25 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjock15 View Post
I should add that in all the states before NM at altitudes 3k and below the 155s were great, completely controllable and noticeably more pulling power then I've ever had.

Think a stage 2 turbo would've made a difference?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-17-2014, 07:35 PM

I don't think so, I have the slightly bigger wheels in the S1 and I don't think bigger turbo would have made any difference. It's hard to describe but at low elevations, if I hit a grade I could give it throttle and get 11-1200 EGT and 30-33 boost, but in NM at 6k if I give it throttle it would be 1400 EGT at 30 psi so I have to back off, and then I'm sitting at 15 psi boost and 1200-1250 EGT, I can't boost higher cause I can't push the throttle more you know.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Welcome to my world. I'm at 8000 feet and honestly, stock fueling is best. The air density here is low and extra fuel does no good. Just not enough molecules to cram into the combustion chamber as there are at lower elevations. Even bigger turbos are of minimal use, but they do help with EGT's .
Old 07-17-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
I don't think so, I have the slightly bigger wheels in the S1 and I don't think bigger turbo would have made any difference. It's hard to describe but at low elevations, if I hit a grade I could give it throttle and get 11-1200 EGT and 30-33 boost, but in NM at 6k if I give it throttle it would be 1400 EGT at 30 psi so I have to back off, and then I'm sitting at 15 psi boost and 1200-1250 EGT, I can't boost higher cause I can't push the throttle more you know.

Got it! Man fortunately I don't have to worry about this in South Louisiana! However, I'm always interested to know what to expect should the road bring me that way! Appreciate the info!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-17-2014, 09:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
I'm in flagstaff AZ, Vegas tomorrow final destination, started in WA DC. Did the same trip with same load (reverse direction) with OEM fan, injectors, and BPD standard cooler exactly 2 years ago. The load is my 40' toyhauler that weighs 14 empty, with a 3200 lb car, and 2500 lbs of household items and tools. Ill weigh it tomorrow but I've towed the load many times its right at 30k. On my trip two years ago I has no issues with EGTs but did run high EOTs. Seen 240ish a good bit and got up to 265 on a long hard pull. Over the two years in DC I did some mods to try to fix this for return trip. I added 7.3 fan (BPD adapter) BPDs HD (taller) cooler and a mesh grille to promote higher airflow. I also added 155/30s.

I have now pulled across near the entire country and can say the BPD HD coolers are the end all be all, period. Same sections I flirted with 250 I was running 220. Highest EOT seen yet is 228 and that's long grades at 50 mph where it's toped out, the cooler is amazing. Combined with my 7.3 fan and mesh grille, overheating is a thing of the past. It's such a huge differance then last time I'm sure I could of kept the OEM Fan and grille and would of been fine. Thank you Ken and BPD my overheating issues are behind me.

Now the 155/30s, mixed feelings. In running a "heavy tow tune" with fuel pulled from the 155s for this heavy load. DC all the way thru TX no problem worked great, but in NM the elevation across the entire state is 6k, for whatever reason this is not good for the 155s, I have to monitor them and in OD could rocket past 1400 if I tried. I'm babying the throttle to barely squeak out 65mph at 1200 EGT (for hours). Just checked motor tonight and didn't melt anything, so I've proven you can run right at 1200 for two hours straight. I would just drive to keep pedal pressure to maintain 1200 and this got m 65 mph give or take. The speed limit is 75 but I can't get there. Before NM and the high elevations, 1100 EGT would keep me at 70mph all day long. So I have mixed feelings, yes you can tow but I feel I could of had more power on stock sticks in NM. Ill drop out of 6-7000 feet tomorrow and leave these worries behind me, but you guys that live at altitude, I'd recommend against.

I can't say enough good things about the BPD products, my truck runs like a champ and once again gets my Fam and toys across the country.
great thread thanks for the insight! im glad you got your issued solve, you always seem to push the truck to its limit! Keep us posted on any other issues or lack of and happy truckin
Old 07-18-2014, 04:58 AM

This answer's some of my questions about my egt's. Poor girl just dosnt have the air to work with.
Im bummed that I dont have the BPD heavy duty oil cooler. It is and was a let down when I found out that I missed getting one by a month or so. If I would of know'n I would of waited.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:07 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the great write up. Glad you are liking your new setup!

As others have said... when you are up that high in altitude the air is thinner and will cause your turbo to run less efficiently. It changes the pressure ratio that the turbo operates at which in most cases will push you out of the efficiency islands that you desire and you end up blowing hotter air, which in result will raise egts. Depending on what RPMS you were having the problem... a slightly bigger or slightly smaller turbo might help out your situation a little bit.

About the 155/30 vs 155/stock... 155/30 is a very weird injector size to me. I don't mean to sound negative... but I don't like it. You don't need a larger nozzle to dump 155cc of fuel... even on a conservative tune without crazy timing and pulse width. All you are doing with 30% nozzles on 155cc injectors is dumping fuel at a lower atomization which causes a loss in efficiency and can raise egts and lower power. It is not simply about dumping too much fuel that causes your egt issues. It is actually has much more to do with the fact that you are putting out the same fuel at a much lower efficiency, which may causes you to have to dump a little bit more fuel to maintain the same power and speed.

For example cruising with a heavy load you might see these numbers to dump the same amount of fuel:

155/stock = 1.1ms of pluse width and 1.9v ICP
155/30 = .9ms of pulse width and 1.5v ICP

So basically the timing is well within desired parameters... BUT... you have to sacrifice ICP to dump the same amount of fuel with the larger nozzles. This leads to lower injection pressure, which leads to less efficiency, which causes power to go down, which might cause you to have to add slightly more fuel to keep the same speed, which can lead to much higher egts.

Just curious if you data logged any of the trip?
At what RPMS were you cruising when you were struggling with temps?
Sound like your headgaskets did great?
RollinEarly99 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to peixinho For This Useful Post:
RollinEarly99 (07-21-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.