Anyone else have higher trans temps with 1800 stall converter? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2014, 10:30 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Anyone else have higher trans temps with 1800 stall converter?

I'm on transmission rebuild #3, and the 3rd converter, it's a PI, precision industries, supposedly 1800 rpm stall. I've heard stock is 1700, I've also heard 1800...I know PI offers the 1800 which they say is their best seller, and they offer a 1700 stall for those that do a lot of towing, and then of course several higher stall options for non Vgt turbos/track.

Anyway, my trans temps creep up to 190-200+ when the Tc isn't locked, I can't tow anything in stop and go traffic, it gets too hot. In fact, just idling in drive or reverse, the trans temps climb up, put it in park or neutral and they come back down. While driving, when the Tc goes into lock up, it cools off too. I've been told I need to have tunes written to have the Tc locked all the time, but I don't feel that's right at all.

I'm just looking for other peoples feedback and their experience with aftermarket converters. First converter used with the first rebuild 6-7 months ago was a PATC, it was waaay looser and waaaay hotter than it is now, so it's kinda better, but not 'right'. The trans still feels 'looser' than it should, I've been told the high temp and looseness is because of the slightly higher stall converter, but converter company says no. Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2014, 11:18 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1800 stall.. pulling my rolling condo... I saw 202 deg max trans temp pulling on the dirt at 35 mph.. Ambient was 95+
Old 07-10-2014, 11:51 AM
Premium Member

How long were you doing 35? If I drive for more than about 20 minutes in stop and go, city driving below Tc lock up speeds, it gets to 200*, unloaded. Towing a light light load at 35-40 mph (less than 5k lbs) trans temp got to 215ish or so, and puked fluid onto the exhaust, cars behind me that stopped said they saw a huge fireball under the truck, I guess where it caught fire. Perhaps it was overfilled from where the builder topped it off when he had the truck.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Those temps seem way to high for not pulling anything. The hottest I've seen mine in mixed driving during the day was 165* on a 90* day. Do you have a deep pan? Also...I only have the stock converter...but I don't see why the temps would be higher with an aftermarket converter vs the factory one. I would think they would be the same depending on stall I would think.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:19 PM
Premium Member

Sounds like the coolers are plugged or the pump in the trans is going out. Those temps are insane. I see about 160 consistently with a 1600 stall.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:25 PM
Premium Member

Cooler has been flushed several times, thoroughly, and the temps cool right back down to 155-165 when the Tc locks. Andy put a new pump and a new PI converter in it when he took the truck back up to PA to fix it, again. I might replace the cooler just to eliminate that as an option. And yeah, Chris, it's a Maghytec pan, holds 8 additional qts, which makes it that much more surprising to me that it gets so hot so quick.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:32 PM

Yeah I run a mag hy-tech pan also. Those temps are just rediculous tho!
Old 07-10-2014, 12:43 PM

I see 170-180 unloaded with 97+ oat.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:17 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have a stock trans w/ a Mag-Hytec pan. I have never seen higher than 157 degrees.

Edit: But I don't tow much either.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:18 PM
Premium Member

I wonder if there is any way to check to see how well the cooler is working??? I know with some things that if it is clogged with metal shards then it does not matter how many times you flush it... you gotta replace it. Kinda like the a/c condenser, oil cooler, and even radiators. Sometimes they are just too far gone.

My vote would be that the tranny cooler is shot/clogged and/or there is some sort of restriction in the tranny cooler lines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.