Restudding suggestions welcome - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 07:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Restudding suggestions welcome

So my ARPs and factory gaskets have mostly given up. I would like some suggestions on what I should consider looking into to prevent this from happening again.

I am considering H11 or maybe 625 studs, oem gaskets, and maybe doing orings. Let me know what experiences and successes you have had with what.

Is there anyone you would recommend for machining reasonably close to the Dfw area?

This may also turn into my build thread. Since I will likely pull the motor I would like to do a cam upgrade.

Basic mod list:
225/75's
s366 (for now)
and everything to support them.
I put down 632 hp in March with 190/75s and the same turbo.

Last edited by scparrish; 07-08-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2014, 07:46 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

It is my opinion that if you've got to pull the heads to do studs, then I would recommend a complete long block build so you will have a known starting point and then break everything in together. I mean you'd be so far into it that I just don't see the point of not freshing up the bearings and rings.

As far as HG sealing options go, I wouldn't waste my time with OEM HGs by themselves pretty much regardless of what stud you decide to stick in there. It appears like OEM HGs and orings are a good option and I like the concept so I'd recommend doing some research on that possibly.

So far Charlie's HG design seems to be holding up just fine. I'm not going to push that yet as we need more data and testing on other trucks to see what's what IMO.

Best of luck man.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:58 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So if studs and gaskets are failing again, shouldn't you get your heads inspected? I don't know what you did before but pretty common for studs and oem gaskets to be out back on and bad heads reused.

How long did they last?
Old 07-08-2014, 08:15 AM

I was considering just starting fresh and rebuilding the whole motor.

They were done in 2010 and were great until recently, when I started adding some decent power. I am not at all worried about what was done previously.

Nate, what type of studs are you running? Maybe I need to reach out to some higher hp guys and see what they are running. I don't plan to stop adding power yet, maybe once I get to 750 hp I will slow my roll.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:27 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

I'm currently running regular ARPs. But for my motor build, I'll be stepping up to 625s. I think for the high HP game, I'd go with the 625s, torque em to spec (maybe 5-10 ft-lbs more), and call it a day. They're reusable so I think you'll get your money's worth. Otherwise, I'd go with Extreme Studs.

I know Charlie is using Extreme Studs with his HG setup as well.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:43 AM

I like the the 625s but their price tag is a kick in the sack but I want this stud job to last a long time. Don't they torque to 265? Adding more seems intense lol.

My hesitation with H11s is that they aren't making them anymore, I believe, but they are almost half the cost of the 625s and are suppose to be reusable.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:49 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I see threads like this popping up more and more... I also know people off the forums having similar issues. It just does not seem like standard OEMs and ARPs will be a long term solution for anyone running higher HP (who actually uses it). The sealant around the fire rings breaks down over time when the heads flex, Sometimes they will even start leaking slightly but then seal themselves back up. Seems lower hp seem to last for years (less than 550hp), but once people get above the 600hp mark they start running into head gasket issues again.

Some people attribute it to really high Drive pressure/EBP... Others blame it on Big VGT turbos (but you are not running a big VGT Turbo). Others blame it on prep work. Others blame it on standard ARP studs stretching. But we all know it comes down the the 4 head bolts per cylinder, even though the 6.4 guys do not seem to have as many issues with the 4 head bolts per cylinder design.

Many shops will tell you it is all about the prep and machine work... maybe take it to one of those shops and ask for a 2 year 100% guarantee that the head gaskets won't blow.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:10 AM

The head flexing is what has me asking questions about what studs can actually fixing the issue. I don't know what more can be done besides the best studs and orings.

I am just trying to get a list together right now. Hopefully a second and done.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:29 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'll just add my 2 cents here, I ran standard arps and oem gaskets for alittle over 3 years now with no noticeable issues. But I recently pulled the motor because I dropped an injector clip down the head and couldn't get it out. When I got the heads off I noticed that I had a lot of gasket missing or stretched very thin. So now I was in the same boat as you are with the choice of h-11s or custom age studs. I went with the custom age from arp because after doing my research on the h-11 I found that they aren't very corrosion resistant. Basically over time they begin to crack due to atmospheric conditions and they eventually fail. I couldn't find a precise time period for how fast this occurs but that made me nervous about running them since the bottom studs are exposed to the elements. Custom age studs are highly corrosion resistant so this problem doesn't exist with them. I know they're pricey but IMO they are the best option.

Last edited by JGman141; 07-08-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:39 PM

I found similar information about the h-11 studs. So unfortunately the best option is left to the 625s, have to pay to play.
bgraiders323 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.