Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Well I had a little tinker time Saturday

630 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Cory S 
#1 · (Edited)
so i decided to drop the muffler out of my 4" turbo back Magnaflow and see what a difference it made to my 03 turbo whistle. I also wanted to go back to work on my CFM+ largemouth install since the new pipe wouldn't coexist peacfully with my Airaid cold air box.

I really didn't like running the air filter in the engine compartment with no air box. I pulled the intercooler pipe and trimmed about 3/8-1/2" off of the end that goes to the elbow so I could get a little bit more rotation on the pipe but that really didn't do the trick. Still not enough room between the battery tray support for the bottom of the air box and the intercooler pipe to put the air box back in. So I took the battery tray out and surgically removed the air box support flush with the tray. This gave me about an extra 1/2" or so and now the air box dropped right in. With the front horn of the air box supported by the openning in the radiator support and the rear bolted to the stock turbo intake hose it is pretty stable and it feels pretty good to be getting full benefit of my zoodad again.

For the exhaust I had a 3' length of 4" 409 stainless pipe which I cut to muffler length and stuffed one end into the "Y" for my duals (slip fit) and the other end had to be a butt fit which I secured with a butt fit stainless 4" band clamp. The Maggie is a small straight through so I wasn't really expecting a huge increase in the whistle or the exhaust. The exhaust is a little louder, especially when romping on the loud pedal. But the Whistle! Holy smokes, when the truck is cold and kicks to high idle it almost hurts your ears to be 20 feet behind it. I think I'm going to leave it straight piped lol.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.