Twin turbos on a 6.0 -- Doable? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2014, 04:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Twin turbos on a 6.0 -- Doable?

I'm having fun with my F350 and will be starting to make it into a RV Hauler here shortly. Running SRL tune and like most everything about it, but the smoke when I give it a bit more pedal then normal at take-off. All the tunes that I have that make any sorta power do this, more or less. So, the only thing I can think of is to have a secondary small turbo added that will spool up quick and help lose the smoke at take-off.

Anyone have any suggestions?

When I had the truck dyno'ed a few months ago, one of the owners asked me why I haven't put a second turbo on it, like this is the normal thing to do. I can talk to him about it I'm sure, but thought I ask here first.

Thanks for any info.

-Rodger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2014, 06:07 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think what you are asking about is called "compound turbos" That is where you put in a secondary turbo and put them in series. There are many discussions about it and it has been done many times... but I would not call it "normal".

It is not just as easy as bolting on another charger.

I don't think I have ever seen a true "twin turbo" setup on a 6.0 where you run two separate turbos of the same size. One on each bank.
Heavy_GD likes this.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:06 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by peixinho View Post
I think what you are asking about is called "compound turbos" That is where you put in a secondary turbo and put them in series. There are many discussions about it and it has been done many times... but I would not call it "normal".

It is not just as easy as bolting on another charger.

I don't think I have ever seen a true "twin turbo" setup on a 6.0 where you run two separate turbos of the same size. One on each bank.
i forgot his screen name but isn't a member on here building a true twin 6.0?
Old 07-03-2014, 07:11 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

I believe you are referring to kdogg but he hasn't been on in months and his motor apparently used a supercharger instead of turbos. He was going to do a true twin turbo setup but went to a supercharger instead. Of course no one has seen any pics or anything yet either so I have no idea what he actually did.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:42 AM

Well my thoughts were to find a turbo about 1/4th the size as my stock one. Spilt the exhaust going to the primary turbo and feed both the primary and the secondary turbo with that. Take the output exhaust from the secondary turbo and tie that back into the input side piping to the primary turbo. In essence the idea is to not waste the power that may still be in the secondary turbo's exhaust.

On the compressor side, just do a "Y" connection on inlet and outlet.

I will be researching how far off my thinking is here obviously, but asking for some direction here could never hurt, right?

-Rodger
Old 07-03-2014, 08:01 AM

i dont think smaller turbo on thats 1/4 the size of the main turbo would not be able to push enough cfm's to feed the main. maybe 3/4 the size lol. sure sounds like a lot of work to get rid of a little puff of smoke. it would probably be cheaper to talk to a custom tuner and have him pull fuel from down low. most guys do compounds for power reasons not to cut smoke.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:08 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Let me just say that it won't work that way.

If you're gonna do what you're looking for, you need to ditch the stock turbo and get two properly sized turbos to compound the air.

The exhaust has to go through the secondary turbo first and then go through the primary.

Pretty much no other way around it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to windrunner408 For This Useful Post:
Dave (07-03-2014), sprksonu (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprksonu View Post
i dont think smaller turbo on thats 1/4 the size of the main turbo would not be able to push enough cfm's to feed the main. maybe 3/4 the size lol. sure sounds like a lot of work to get rid of a little puff of smoke. it would probably be cheaper to talk to a custom tuner and have him pull fuel from down low. most guys do compounds for power reasons not to cut smoke.
Exhaust from the secondary turbo wouldn't be feeding the primary turbo, just augmenting the input exhaust to it. I would like snappier take-offs as well as less smoke, so I guess there is a bit more to it then I described. Don't know for sure at all I will do this, just looking at it.

On a side note...

One of my son-in-laws is the head mechanic at porsche/audi/bmw shop here in Colorado and he just finished a custom stainless exhaust system on his beater-turned Porsche eater project car. Took me for a short hop couple nights back in his 5 cylinder turbocharged 1.9 liter audi 5 speed. I don't know the model, but it's maybe 15 years old and weighs in about about 3600 lbs. Full 4 wheel drive and his custom built engine makes right under 600 hp.

That turbo is maybe 1/4 the size on my truck and it is instant response. Don't know if it's his design on the plumbing, or just inherent to the vehicle, but it is way out of my league. Anyways takes off like a rocket and gets zero to 60 in mid 3 second range. Now I don't need that in my truck, but I'd like a bit of that throttle response if I can find it.

-Rodger
Old 07-03-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
Let me just say that it won't work that way.

If you're gonna do what you're looking for, you need to ditch the stock turbo and get two properly sized turbos to compound the air.

The exhaust has to go through the secondary turbo first and then go through the primary.

Pretty much no other way around it.
Is this for sure the only way in your opinion?

-Rodger
Old 07-03-2014, 10:59 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Unless you're on here phishing for info and looking to start an argument, doing what you're talking about (while theoretically possible) is not really feasible.

In truthfulness, I'm not 100% sure on what you're trying to achieve other than more air down low, which you won't be able to do without more boost at the lower rpms (as the engine is only capable of moving so much air at a given rpm due to its volumetric efficiency).

After re-reading your original post, I think you'd be better off with a pro-charger setup that basically uses a turbo charger to feed a super charger that feeds an intercooler and then the motor. Basically, compounds but the secondary turbo would be a super charger instead. You'd loose out on the air up top I think due to parasitic loses of the super charger but it would give you boost at idle most likely if set up right. Either way though, you'd still want to ditch the stock turbo because it just can't be controlled electronically to do this nor is it going to be big enough IMO.

What you originally mentioned in your first post basically described a true sequential turbo system. However, it is my understanding that nothing exists currently to allow the compressor side of the turbo to be bypassed when the larger primary turbo is lit.

Ok so I'm not sure if I helped or hurt here but it is definitely outside of the realm that I feel like talking about on here so this is as far as I'll go for brain storming. Best of luck with however you proceed to go.
The Following User Says Thank You to windrunner408 For This Useful Post:
marjamar (07-03-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.