reg return.... why? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2014, 07:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
reg return.... why?

Just wondering why they are important I don't completely understand them. A lot of ppl do this mod just before I do all my work to the truck next year I want to know why this is a important mod
peixinho likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2014, 08:36 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Its most crucial on engines that are being built to run big fuel. But as far as a reliability stand point it isn't a bad mod to ensure proper fuel supply to the injectors. I plan on going to a RR on my tow build in the future. To me it just makes more sense for my goals. Depending on what your goals are it may or may not be worth spending the money on.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:43 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
To expand upon this, if you are dropping below 65psi on your fuel especially at WOT. You need to do a full fuel system upgrade and go RR along with a custom fuel pump set up.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew_WY View Post
To expand upon this, if you are dropping below 65psi on your fuel especially at WOT. You need to do a full fuel system upgrade and go RR along with a custom fuel pump set up.
Not entirely accurate. Ford spec is below 45psi before action is taken. The best and most power has been proven to come in the 54 to 56 psi range. 65psi is on the upper end of the spectrum of where you want it to be. Anything above 72ish you risk blowing o rings.

A RR is going to ensure you get the same fuel pressure to each injector by regulating after the heads instead of before add the stock system does. I've read and read on this subject because a RR system is not a cheap mod, when I'd you diy, and while I know it will help in not 100% sold because the fact that all the injectors in one bank don't fire at the same time.

Just do your own research and come to the best conclusion for your needs/wants.

FWIW I am currently running the "6.4 juggerpump mod" with larger fuel lines from tank to 6.4 pump then to 6.0 pump, stock pickup in tank, with 175/stock injectors 68-69psi at idle, drop as low as 52 at wot and I think my stock 6.0 pump is getting weak.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:34 PM

So this is psi of the fuel pressure mod. So if my pressure is dropping and the blue spring mod didn't help this would be something to look at? Can anyone expand on how this helps maintain it better then stock. The why makes sense just not the how.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeaby View Post
So this is psi of the fuel pressure mod. So if my pressure is dropping and the blue spring mod didn't help this would be something to look at? Can anyone expand on how this helps maintain it better then stock. The why makes sense just not the how.
If the blue during didn't help chances are you have a weak pump.

It helps maintain "better" because the pressure is regulated after it goes thru the head, or has supplied the injectors with equal amounts and pressure of fuel.

What are your pressures reading at now?

Last edited by powerstrokecrzy; 06-29-2014 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:02 PM

I don't have a gauge hook up right now I was gonna do it soon but I recently had surgery and cannot till closer to Dec. While I'm off work I have to much time to think so I start asking these questions haha.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:36 PM
Serving Our Country!

Admittedly I haven't done a whole lot of research about regulated return fuel setups and I didn't bother with one primarily because of cost (although guys have pieced them together for less than the kits sold). I'm sure they have their benefits for some but I think a lot of guys have them that don't really benefit from them. I compare this to the trend of using an A1000 fuel pump. Are they a good pump and work well? Sure. Do I need a pump that supports 1000 horsepower? No. Benefit vs. cost. Sometimes we ignore this (myself included). However, if your future plans may benefit from a certain mod and it makes sense to do it now, then it may be worthwhile. I kinda wish I would have done the delta kit (I think that is what it is called) when I had my heads off. I think this would be a more beneficial mod to do for a daily driver/towing truck than a RR. But I could be wrong.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:03 PM

Delta kit just when I think I know the mods here is a new one
Old 06-30-2014, 05:08 AM
...swamp trash...

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeaby View Post
Delta kit just when I think I know the mods here is a new one
What's the delta line kit?

I am setting up a RR kit for myself right now. Yes I think the parts are pricey but I think it is worth eliminating the stock "dead headed" design. I just did the 6.4 pump mod as well. Well worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.