Better fuel economy? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2009, 03:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Better fuel economy?

New to the site. I have a 2004 F250 6.0L with about 67,000 miles. It has enough power for my needs. What I'm looking for is how to get better mpg. It's my daily driver and I do alot of city as well as highway driving. Is a programmer the best option? I am pretty budget focused right now. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2009, 03:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I plan for worse MPG after gettin my tuner!! Gonna be FLOORIN it every chance I get...

It really comes down to how much better MPGs you can get outta the tuner and how long it takes to make up for the cost of the tuner... If its only 2-3mpgs it can take a while...

I want a tuner for the power, prolly wont use the economy settings...

I am gettin about 16MPG without engine mods right now on highway... Gonna get exhaust and custom tunning here soon...
Old 01-17-2009, 04:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well iam currently getting about 17-18 mpg in the city and about 20-21 on the highway basicly stock except my intake and 4" tb exhaust. I havent installed my tunner yet but iam sure with my tunner it might help if i keep my foot off the floor.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o3stroker View Post
but iam sure with my tunner it might help if i keep my foot off the floor.
That's going to be one of the key things that will determine if you see mpg improvements or not.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:54 PM

My best MPG Tool is the ScanGaugeII that indicates my instant MPG reading, and a lot more valuable readings. I tend to try to keep a constant MPG rate while trying to increase the MPG average. I have seen averaging 23MPG for milles at a time. But city driving with trafic lights just kills the average.
I have a 6 speed and the RPM that I operate my truck make a huge difference in town driving. I seldome shift to overdrive till I am above 50MPH, I use to shift at low RPM thinking I was taking it easy so MPG would be good, Well I do the opposite now, I shift around 2000RPM and it allows the engine work more effciently.

I had a 4 Cylinder Ranger one time and my best milage was witout using the overdrive.

I find that with my programer the efficiency is at higher RPMs then at stock setting. So I get much better milage advantage at higher speed.

While towing I shift at 2200RPM and to OD at 55MPH. If I drive below 55MPH or on hilly highways I get great milage on drive. When towing on level roads the best milage seam to be with the engine at 1750RPM on OD. I get all these max efficiency readings from my ScangaugeII Gauge.

There are now more models of these type of gauges available, I use my scangaugeII so much that with 4 gauges I hardly check my regular dash gauges. I usualy monitor the MPG,Water Temp. Intake Air Temp, Ambiant Temperature. Exhaust Gauge is not shown on the 6.0 so I have a Pyro.

Last edited by caissiel; 01-18-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:35 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Great post caissiel, too many people think low RPMs give you the best mileage. What they don't realize is there is a speed at which the engine is most efficient and if you can use your gearing to keep it in this speed it helps a lot.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:22 AM

The best I got was 18.97 MPG with a 4" turboback exhaust and DJ's street tune. This is using good old calculations, not the overhead console or some other form of electronic device. I have my doubts on how accurate they are.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:34 AM
I don't know nuttin....

can i interest ya in 85 mpg or more?
link
Old 01-20-2009, 11:41 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well, according to your sig you get under 16mpg.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:45 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartmanea View Post
Well, according to your sig you get under 16mpg.
I get around 16 mpg overall....thats on free used vegi oil. I only fill my 36 gal. diesel tank every 2500 - 3000 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.