New 6.0 MOD Questions???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 08:22 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New 6.0 MOD Questions????

I just got a 2005 F-350 stock dually I am looking at the AFE CAI. What is the recommendations Stage 1 or Stage 2 what are the differences between the two?
I would like to mate it up to a banks TB with a SCT tune. However, I am open to ideas or suggestions on CAI or the exhaust.
I really don't want to much of a lift does anyone have a recommendations or opinions on leveling kits or lifts looking for 3" or less.
I am still searching the forum for all the great info. Also is there any other mods that need to be done on a stock truck ASAP?

Great Site and I am glad to be here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2009, 10:14 PM
My 6OH Hates Me

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
the stock cai will flow extreamly well for now, I would put the money elsewhere first. I would get a new exhaust, guages and an sct x3 with custom tunes to start with
Old 01-17-2009, 03:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudrunninpig View Post
the stock cai will flow extreamly well for now, I would put the money elsewhere first. I would get a new exhaust, guages and an sct x3 with custom tunes to start with
x2, except I would do gauges first then exhaust, then custom tuning. Until you start playing with injectors and turbos, you won't need
an a/m air filter.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:58 AM

In order
4" exhaust
gauges
tuner...SCT of course
intake
fuel system upgrade
fuel pump upgrade
head studs/egr delete
injectors
turbo
transmssion
Old 01-17-2009, 05:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNBROKEN View Post
In order
4" exhaust
gauges
tuner...SCT of course
intake
fuel system upgrade
fuel pump upgrade
head studs/egr delete
injectors
turbo
transmssion
Wrong order.

On a 6.0, even a stock truck it needs to go in this direction.

Guages
Studs/EGR delete

those 2 are the most important thing on a 6.0 then your exhaust, SCT w/custom tunes, etc can come later but if you want the truck to last, get guages and studs/egr delete first.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:31 AM

Yea...I have no idea what I' talking about.
I've never done this before.....
Trust me...that's the right order.

Tunes have come a long way since the old high timing Diablo Predator days.
They are much more refined these days...so blowing the head gaskets is less likely than the "old" days.
Not to mention ANY higher power SCT tune will turn off the EGR...it's not a total fix but it's better than nothing.

You're essentially telling everyone that they need to do thousands of dollars worth of work before they can even begin to mod their trucks....on that point...you would be wrong.

Myself and many others went a long way with mods without head studs or EGR delete long before they were even available.
It's possible...if your tuning is good.

Or do I need to list my resume again ?
Old 01-17-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:
blowing the head gaskets is less likely than the "old" days.
Not to mention ANY higher power SCT tune will turn off the EGR...it's not a total fix but it's better than nothing.

Not really with the 6.0. You can blow heads even in stock form without adding any hp. Second, eletronically shutting off the EGR is really hit or miss. I have seen some programs that turned it off and there were still EGR problems2345

Quote:
You're essentially telling everyone that they need to do thousands of dollars worth of work before they can even begin to mod their trucks....on that point...you would be wrong.
No, in order to do some mods, you need to do supporting mods in order to handle it. Headstuds are pretty much needing in order to handle even some custom tuning on trucks without bigger turbos and injectors, just relatively stock.

Quote:
Myself and many others went a long way with mods without head studs or EGR delete long before they were even available.
It's possible...if your tuning is good.
Just because y'all did all that stuff before studs and egr delete doesn't necessary mean that was the correct, easy, and most reliable way to do it. You may not have had a problem(which I doubt, but if you didn't then you got lucky, more people would have had a problem doing that way then without.

The order of mods that you supplied really isn't the best one either. Studs/egr delete should be done before intake. You don't need an intake until you started to do mods that will by themselves(turbo, injectors) bring you well over 500 hp, customing tuning alone won't do that(even though you listed intake around that timeframe).
Old 01-17-2009, 05:57 AM
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to zippy557
i went in the order of, exhaust gauges, x3 intake and am going to the fuel system and oil bypass next, then possibly headstuds, but as long as the person writing your tunes knows you dont have headstuds they should be writing them for that specificly and haven't had any head problems yet
Old 01-17-2009, 05:58 AM

LOL...take me to school fella's...I'm new.

You guys are buying the doom and gloom 6.0 stories.....funny.

Teach me, boys...I'm listening.......

It's kind of ironic that some of us tore down and broke our trucks more times than we can count...and spent countless dollars...to figure out what works and in what order...but now we know nothing.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:22 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
LOL...take me to school fella's...I'm new.

You guys are buying the doom and gloom 6.0 stories.....funny.

Teach me, boys...I'm listening.......

It's kind of ironic that some of us tore down and broke our trucks more times than we can count...and spent countless dollars...to figure out what works and in what order...but now we know nothing.
Doom and gloom here, Rich. Mine went on stock tuning about the time you were putting the inspection holes in your block. It's still a crap shoot and while most times I would agree with you (and your extensive knowledge) this time I won't. Move the studs up.

PS. This isn't about challenging you or your buddies knowledge.

Last edited by Evil Eye; 01-17-2009 at 06:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.