Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Turbo wheel

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  peixinho 
#1 ·
I am pulling my turbo here in the near future for an SCT update and BPD EGR, along with a few other updates/improvements. Anyways I said I was going to replace the turbo wheel whenever I had the turbo out so now its time and would like y'alls thoughts on the best wheel to replace it with. I have a 05 F350 4X4 dually with a Garrett turbo part# 1877832C91 Ser# 732468 (don't know if this info is needed or not) but after deciding what wheel to go with I would like to give my business to someone on this site so feel free to PM me. I was also told I would then need to have it balanced to be on the safe side. So with that being said would anyone know where to have a turbo balanced at in the San Jose bay area? Thanks again everyone

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
Sounds like you have a nice project going.

A billet turbo wheel is a very common upgrade. It is also a very good idea to get it balanced... but I can tell you that most people do not balance their turbos with just that small billet wheel upgrade and are just fine. Depending on the billet wheel that you buy... it should come fully balanced. Then you just have to worry about your turbine wheel. You could just send off your turbine, compressor wheel, and oil slinger to get it assembly balanced and send back. That would save you from having to ship your big heavy turbo around.

There are two different wheels sizes for the 6.0 powerstroke. 59mm 2003-2005 and 56mm 2005-2007. I have seen late 2004 - early 2005 trucks go both ways.

I prefer the single plane wheels. They tend to do better and be more of an upgrade in our turbos.

2003-2004 59mm wheel
6 0 Powerstroke Upgraded Billet Wheel 2003 2004 GT3782VA | eBay

2005-2007 56mm wheel
6 0 Powerstroke Upgraded Billet Wheel 2005 2007 GT3782VA | eBay

You could also upgrade to a 360 thrust bearing and rebuild kit while in there to help add longevity to your turbo
6 0 Ford Powerstroke 360 Thrust Bearing Turbo Rebuild Kit Garrett GT3782VA | eBay

You can get the assembly balanced by KC Turbos. Here is their email
kcturbosinc@gmail.com

#4 ·
I prefer the single plane wheels. They tend to do better and be more of an upgrade in our turbos.
Can you explain a little bit on this? Does a single plane push more air? What about when you get to the bigger vgt turbo's, is there an advantage to the single plane over the dual plane? Just trying to learn a little bit.

#3 ·
Thanks for that nice right up and all the great info....yea its a project...never done it before so a lil nervous...its just since I got to pull all this stuff I may as well fix some of the known issues...I have an '05 with about 150 grand on it. So just trying to see what I have the money for

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.