Interccoler effects on IAT testing video - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jetjock15
  • 1 Post By bondajb
  • 1 Post By peixinho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2014, 04:09 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Interccoler effects on IAT testing video

Here's the video. Post up your questions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HeavyAssault For This Useful Post:
Merc82 (06-23-2014), Oilylizard (06-23-2014), peixinho (06-22-2014), william_ace (06-22-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2014, 06:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Can you post a synopsis of results as you observed them. I will attempt to watch all 17 min but a synopsis would be appreciated. Looks like some real works testing and documentation, love those tests and posts - much Appreciated Brian
HeavyAssault likes this.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:21 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I am surprised how little ait 2 varied. .it constantly climbed..... My guess is ambient was 96.. amazing how much heat the truck inhales at > 10 mph.
I would like a little clarification on pids.. the glare made it hard to see and I could not read what pid monitored what..
Pro fuzz likes this.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:20 AM
N.S.D.Q.

OAT wasn't a PID that I was able to find in the AE menu. For the record the EATC inside the truck showed OAT was between 90-95*F thru my driving. I'm comfortable saying the temps were in the 90's for the testing.

Settings Left to Right; Top row to Bottom row:
Baro// IAT1// IAT2
Vehicle Speed// MAF// Manifold Pressure (boost)
ECT// EOT// EBP

Remember the OAT was over 90*. I wanted to demonstrate the daily driving/stop-n-go one might most commonly encounter. I need to get a larger capacity SD card to show the temps during HWY driving.

--This is one of the few times I have used AE. Some of the readings are/were expected while others gave me some things to research. While AE gives a TON of PIDs to monitor these were the ones I felt were suited for the demonstration.

--The Baro seemed to change while driving which I didn't expect to see. It might be a result of using the AE.

--EBP is reading absolute so you need to subtract at least 14.5 PSI from the reading to show actual EBP.

--IAT2 was higher than I expected to see. I do have some theories as to why that temperature seems so high compared to IAT1 and OAT. The temp did seemed to settle in after a bit of driving at over 165*F.

My thoughts:
A) Possibly the IC interior and exterior need to be cleaned. I ran the CCV for awhile before doing the CCV delete. I can easily pressure wash/degrease the exterior but the internal cleaning will have to come later.
B) Running the billet single plane compressor wheel may cause the IAT to rise due to the increase flow and compression of air.
C) Radiator and IC proximity to one another causing radiant heat transfer. Maybe but I'd say unlikely considering the IC is in front of the radiator. Another Idea: This radiant heat transfer may play a bigger part when the truck isn't moving. So the radiator radiant heat could be causing the aluminum IC to be heat soaked and not as effective.

An interesting note: Towards the end I was thinking about the IAT temp. I happen to have an handheld IR thermostat so I wanted to check the intake manifold surface temps. As expected the areas closest to the intake elbow were close to the readings off the AE. I began to wonder if the IAT2 sensor was getting heat soaked from the GOGO manifold covers.

--Link below for the Sentry ST660. +/-3*F for the range I was using.
ST660,ST662,ST663 Infrared Thermometer SENTRY-Infrared Thermometer-ShangHai,China

So unless you take the time to find YOUR real world information before and after you cannot say what has changed.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:47 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondajb View Post
I am surprised how little ait 2 varied. .it constantly climbed..... My guess is ambient was 96.. amazing how much heat the truck inhales at > 10 mph.
I would like a little clarification on pids.. the glare made it hard to see and I could not read what pid monitored what..
This is what my intake housing looks like since I've cut it down. It's cut down even more now then when I took this picture.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:59 AM
...swamp trash...

Heavy, what intercooler are you running?
Old 06-23-2014, 04:18 AM
Premium Member

Great video, for my clarification, IAT1 is air temp when it first comes into the air filter and IAT2 is after it has traveled through the entire intercooler?
Old 06-23-2014, 07:41 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
--IAT2 was higher than I expected to see. I do have some theories as to why that temperature seems so high compared to IAT1 and OAT. The temp did seemed to settle in after a bit of driving at over 165*F.

I did not think it was high at all... actually it seemed to be a little low at some points and slow to respond. I think people would be very surprised to hear how hot things are after coming out of the turbo. The intercooler does help to cool it down but it can only be so efficient. Also your intercooler will be more efficient at higher speeds because it needs lots of air flow to do its job.

Here is an example:
making 35 psi of boost
Outside air temps = 100
Inlet air temps = 102
Turbo outlet temps = 450
intercooler efficiency = 75% (which is pretty good)
Intercooler out temps = 190

Here is another example:
making 10 psi of boost
Outside air temps = 100
Inlet air temps = 102
Turbo outlet temps = 250
intercooler efficiency = 75% (which is pretty good)
Intercooler out temps = 140

Those are just a couple of examples that are pretty generalized. There are a lot of things that can affect those numbers which include... speed, intercooler efficiency, compressor efficiency, elevation, heat soak, etc...
HeavyAssault likes this.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:50 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc82 View Post
Heavy, what intercooler are you running?
Spearco for the win...
Old 06-23-2014, 02:51 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Fan1 View Post
Great video, for my clarification, IAT1 is air temp when it first comes into the air filter and IAT2 is after it has traveled through the entire intercooler?
Correct. For my 2006 the IAT1 is pulled using the MAF sensor. IAT2 sensor is on the driver's side runner of the intake manifold about 3-4" at most from the intake elbow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.