Sct canned vs custom? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 06-18-2014, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sct canned vs custom?

Can anyone give me the difference between the Sct canned "performance" and "street" tunes to say the Gearhead SRL? Or the Looney tune from quick tricks? I'm looking into custom tunes but don't know what to buy?? I like the canned tunes...better than the Banks that it had before. How much better are custom?

Truck is studded...but not looking to get the most power or running at the track just a good all around DD...truck is on 37" tires, stock 3:73, intake and exhaust, blue spring mod, EGR still on the truck (Damm Cali).

What would you get if you were me?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2005 F250 Lariet FX4 CC SB 6.0, 6" ProComp Stage2 Lift,17x9 ProComp wheels,35" ProComp xtreme AT's,Warn 12k winch w/hidden kit,Custom light bar w/4-8" ProComp,Pioneer double din Nav XM back up cam,10" kicker sub,1000w 5channel amp,15% tint, Truxedo bed cover,Firestone Bags,Airaid intake,4" turbo back MBRP exhaust,ARP headstuds
post #2 of 22 Old 06-18-2014, 07:26 PM
shenanigans

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Garage
custom tunes by far

Mike
2005 CCSB F250 4X4

ARP, Irate T4, BW S363SX-E, Holders 175/30%, No Limit Intake, CSF Intercooler, BPD water pump, 7.3 Fan Adapter, MBRP charge pipes, 6.7 Pump, Driven Diesel RR, Built Trans w/ PI converter, Traction bars

We reserve the right to move, modify, delete or merge posts at our discretion and without explanation.

post #3 of 22 Old 06-18-2014, 07:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
get SRL+ since you're studded

remember how much better your truck ran when you went from stock to canned tunes?

buy his tunes, and you'll have that feeling all over again
post #4 of 22 Old 06-18-2014, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

It's that noticeable over the canned tunes?

I thought about the SRL+ but was just thinking of playing it safe with the Regular SRL...or am I good to go with the +.? I know I'm studded and they say safe for studded trucks but again not trying to win any races just want a solid daily driver...

Also want the 8k tow tune. How is that tune?

2005 F250 Lariet FX4 CC SB 6.0, 6" ProComp Stage2 Lift,17x9 ProComp wheels,35" ProComp xtreme AT's,Warn 12k winch w/hidden kit,Custom light bar w/4-8" ProComp,Pioneer double din Nav XM back up cam,10" kicker sub,1000w 5channel amp,15% tint, Truxedo bed cover,Firestone Bags,Airaid intake,4" turbo back MBRP exhaust,ARP headstuds
post #5 of 22 Old 06-18-2014, 10:13 PM

Don't know about Gearheads tunes but it's a definite yes going from the canned tunes to the Looney

[/SIGPIC]05 F-350 XLT SRW CC
EGR Delete
Airaid intake
Banks Monster CAT back
Stock headbolts
SCT SF3 Gone Looney
Back Road Performance Street King, Torque Plus
Edge Insight CTS
post #6 of 22 Old 06-18-2014, 10:19 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i would get in touch with Chris B at truck source diesel in texas and get the SPD tune. i have tried almost every "custom" tune there is out there and the SPD outshines the others. one thing to keep in mind is that every truck handles a tune differently and may show different characteristics between trucks.

WRECKED EM DAMN NEAR KILLED EM! 2005 f250 ccsb 4x4 Studded, 03 turbo w/billet wheel, AFE stage2, 5"diamond eye, BPD egr cooler & "NEW" external oil cooler, BPD 48v FICM, BPD water pump, BPD aluminum radiator, 6.4 banjo's, blue spring, HFCM e-z drain, riff raff boots, gearhead srl tune , PHP FICM tune, sct livewire 5015, updated stc, updated stand pipes & dummy plugs, updated oil feed & drain, Zerex ELC coolant, Pro Comp 6" lift, 325/70/17 Toyo open country at
post #7 of 22 Old 06-18-2014, 10:21 PM
FJuanfiddy mod

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Canned to custom is a major difference. Especially where drivability is concerned

Email: Dave@powerstroke.org
2011 F150 Ecoboost Crew cab lariat. Custom tunes from KEM and 5Star, and Unleashed
2012 F150 Crew Cab Ecoboost stock for now-Totaled March 12 2015
2006 F250 ECSB Lariat 4x4

Leveling kit, 315/70/17 Kelly TSRs on Method race wheels
ARP studs and OEM gaskets done by Renegade Diesel
ECM and Atlas 40 FICM tuned by Bill at PHP SCT tunes by Truck Source Diesel. Gearhead, Innovative, Wildman and Tyrant diesel
Flowmaster/MBRP Hybrid Exhaust
Edge Insight CTS
Coolant filter
Bulletproof diesel FICM EGR Delete, Oil Cooler and Water Pump, and Light bar.
Dually LED lights from Stealth Automotive/Xpedition Outfitters
No Limit Fab 6.0 Cold Air Intake
http://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/default.asp
http://nolimitfabrication.com/
post #8 of 22 Old 06-19-2014, 01:31 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
I've ran the canned street (100 hp) and the canned performance (140) hp they both ran really well for me. I kinda got ignored after buying the lonely wild file. It was giving me an under boost code and the shifting was wierd after weeks of driving.

All i got was another file and the the code came back and she didn't wanna change when my overdrive came on. It was coming on at like 48-52mph and the truck just lugged until downshifting. She seed nice enough bit she wasn't very helpful at all and just said I need my truck looked at. So I just didn't ask anymore And moved on. I'm not bashing but informing. Some have had great service too.

My turbo is as close to perfect as can be and my truck shifts fine on all canned Sct tunes whether I mess with shift fitness, or patters or tire size or not.

I've read a lot about gear head, innovative and tony wild man esp.

P.s. The performance tune got worse mpg then the street tune.
My atlas 40 Ficm tune got me some great mileage on second half of a 2k road trip tho even on stock ECM programming.

I run atlas 40 Ficm tune and stock ECM for daily driving. If not the canned street program worked best for drive ability and mpg.

-2004 F350 CCLB 4x4: Sinister Race solutions kit, CAT ELC Edge CS, SCT SF3, PHP Ficm programmer, Procomp, Rough country, and Nitto goodies.
-2004 excursion, banks exhaust, 03 turbo, afe intake
-2006 f350 king ranch, 10 in fabtech, 40in tires, sct tunes,

currently-1999 F250 SBRB 4X4 First 7.3 and feels good to be back in a diesel....

Interested in learning something new?

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/pol...verse-day.html

Justin,

Last edited by JustinOOO9; 06-19-2014 at 01:35 AM.
post #9 of 22 Old 06-19-2014, 03:21 AM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Read this... Tuning answers and experiences
Heavy_GD likes this.

2004 F250 CC Lariat 4x4

Pro Comp leveling kit, 05-07 HD headlights w/ 6k HIDs, Auto Meter gauges, ScanGaugeII, Sinister coolant filter, Blue spring, 6.4 banjo bolts, BPD FICM, BPD billet water pump, BPD VK688 oil cooler kit, S&B CAI, MTW stage 2, Straight piped w/ 6" single mitre stack, SCT w/ Hybrid Panty Dropper from Chris @ TSD, Fumoto block drain valves, ELC, High idle mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
I'm guessing that you didn't lose nearly as much as it appeared. Spills are like that. The last beer that I spilled was like a million ounces.
post #10 of 22 Old 06-19-2014, 06:22 AM

I am in the same boat. I just got my SCT tuner last week after getting the truck back from studs/delete. I got the X4 and the SRL, 8k tow, unlimited tow from Matt at Gearhead. I thought about SRL+ but like you wasn't looking for crazy power just a good DD. I have only put on about 200km but so far I am really liking SRL! Hope this helps you out.

2007 F350 SC FX4 Lariat
Edge Insight CS w/ Pillar Mount & EGT
SCT with Gearhead Tunes
ARP Studs & EGR Delete
High Idle
Duraflaps
Back Rack & Tool Box
LED bed & toolbox Lighting
4 Hella's Behind the Grille
18W LED Hitch-mount Back-up Lights
Dually ID Bar

***Please Sign Up to Be a Stem Cell Donor***
**You could be the one match to save a life!!**

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode