Head gasket replacement questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 06:04 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Head gasket replacement questions

Ok I have a 06 FX4 6.0, I found out this weekend I have a head gasket gone, I have 94,000 miles on it, I have a Banks power PDA, 4" exhaust and a K&N Filter, I dont feel its worth all the trouble to try to get them done under warranty, I have a shop that I build race cars for people, I have never worked on a diesel but feel comfortable enough to do the job my self. My question is what headgaskets and studs to get and who has the best price on them, I also plan on doing the egr delete my self, i see kits for 4-5 hundred dollars and feel I can make one myself,and what else will be needed as far as gasket and parts for the tear down, this is my only vehicle and need to do it as quick as possible. also anyone have an idea how long it will take, I dont plan on pulling the cab I think it will take about the same amount of time with it on as it would to pull the cab. Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2009, 06:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to FastFocus
subscribed, am also curious as to what the best HG to use is. ARP studs is what i would go with for those though.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:47 AM

Re

I figured on using the ARP, was just wondering if anybody had part #'s on what I would need to complete the job.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:47 AM

subscribing
Old 01-13-2009, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9secondlx View Post
My question is what headgaskets and studs to get and who has the best price on them,

ARP I believe are what alot of people are using, including myself for the studs. As far as a/m gaskets, unless you really are going to be putting down well over 500 hp, the stock ones are good and they allow for more room for error then something like hypermax gaskets. I'm putting down around 508 and I'm using the stock gaskets and have been for more then a year and a half and not a lick of engine trouble with regard to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9secondlx View Post
I also plan on doing the egr delete my self, i see kits for 4-5 hundred dollars and feel I can make one myself,

If you have a reputable exhaust shop, they should also be able to do it cheaper the 4-5 hundred.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:03 PM

ARPs are good H-11s are better, but far more pricey. I'm putting ARP's in mine.

Ford calls for like 16 hours to do the headgasket replacement with a cab-off if that helps.

I'd stick with the stock gaskets myself, they've proven to be good as long as the headstuds are there to hold them together. Browns diesel seems to have the cheapest for the ARP's, I got mine for $385 shipped from cali to NY.

I'd also lose the K&N and the Banks stuff, but you can research that else where on this site.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:10 PM

Stick with the stock gaskets. Fire ring gaskets will give you trouble.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:12 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
ARP and factory MLS head gaskets
Old 01-13-2009, 01:28 PM

I took the following right from the powerstroke shop, found it in the mechanical catalog. I didn't think that was a bad price but I haven't done any comparision shopping either.

"Valve grind gasket kit, f250 pick-up - 6.0l diesel - 2003-07 super duty - 6.0L DIESEL - 2003-07 SUPER DUTY 03-06 MSRP $673.46 Your Price $525.30
Includes: Valve Cover Gaskets, Head Gaskets, Intake Manifold Gaskets, Valve Seals And Thermostat Gasket."
Old 01-13-2009, 07:48 PM

Re

Thanks For the info, i plan on doing it friday and saturday, parts will be here tomorrow, I forgot about valve cover gaskets. And I actually like my banks PDA, Im not racing just wanted more power and like the display of the pda, as far as the k&N It was free, I didnt care for it when I got it but couldnt beat the price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.