Dr. Performance box - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 11:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Dr. Performance box

I tried a search and got no luck soo, I was flipping through the Jan. issue of Diesel Power and saw a write-up on a company called Dr. Performance on page 65. They had a 'black box' that worked pretty much like a chip or tuner but it didn't reprogram the computer, it just 'tricked it' or modified the signals and added more fuel. It is not suppose to leave any traces of modifying so you would be able to keep your warranty.
Has anyone tried one of these and how well do they work? I would like to get 'some' more out of the truck but I'm not looking for 150hp/200 tq. I would rather be conservative and take care of the truck, not to mention the $2k or more I payed for the extended warranty. The article was on a 6.4 and got pretty good results. I asked about the 6.0's and they do carry two boxes for it. I just need to know how they do as far as performance and reliability. Sorry for the long post but my curiosity is killing me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2009, 01:06 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
They work and it sounds like it would suit your wants well. Since they intercept the signals and modify them they leave no footprint that I am aware of on the computer. I have no experience with dr but have run a different brand and they do well. You wont have all of the performance that you could get from a custom tuner but if it isnt what your looking for and you dont want to worry about warranty issues then you would be happy.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:29 AM

That's great, all I'm looking for is enough power to turn the tires over, if floored from a dead stop. I have a Lightning with a 6lb pulley if I need serious speed. I don't daily drive either one of them so I may give them a call.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:54 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
SCT is the only way to go for any kind of power modification for a 6.0 no matter if you are going for a world record or just a Daily Driver with a bit more power
Old 01-12-2009, 10:44 AM

You don't want something that just intercepts and modifies the signals. That can lead to a whole hosts of problems that will have your truck in the shop more then you'll be driving it. Plus devices like that have been known to wreck havoc on the torqshift if you have the auto tranny.

If your going to play around with this stuff do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
SCT.... enough said... dont play around with that other stuff..
Old 01-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrannan19 View Post
SCT is the only way to go for any kind of power modification for a 6.0 no matter if you are going for a world record or just a Daily Driver with a bit more power
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex25025 View Post
You don't want something that just intercepts and modifies the signals. That can lead to a whole hosts of problems that will have your truck in the shop more then you'll be driving it. Plus devices like that have been known to wreck havoc on the torqshift if you have the auto tranny.

If your going to play around with this stuff do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
I agree with everything these two said
Old 01-12-2009, 11:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jason.
SCT and no other.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:52 PM

That's what I used on the Lightning and I had no problem blowing the factory warranty since it was half gone anyway. I actually extended the warranty on this truck and hate to 'void' it due to a tuner. Lightnings aren't known to leak oil and the other problems that are associated with the 6.0's. I like this truck but I don't trust my luck with it, especially since I bought it used. It already has an oil leak to be addressed.I may not do anything if it will screw up the transmission. Is there a way to use the SCT programmers and not leave any 'codes' for it behind? Mod friendly sealers don't seem too common around here.

Last edited by NIT2WN; 01-12-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIT2WN View Post
Is there a way to use the SCT programmers and not leave any 'codes' for it behind? Mod friendly sealers don't seem too common around here.

A good tech will still be able to find some tall tale signs of a tuner being used, even the "box" that you mentioned would be detectable especially if you used it on a 6.0 when they go digging to do the heads that were just shoot because of said "box".

Now as far as just codes, when I had SCT, it didn't set off any codes so in that respect I think your covered. However, like I said there are other ways to go "digging" around if they really wanted too(which they probably would if your in there for a major drivetrain warranty issue).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.