Maximizing "Cold Air" - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2014, 07:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Maximizing "Cold Air"

Some of you may find this to be a useless and maybe even off topic thread but I hope some of you find this well.

While having a discussion today with some Duramax friends they asked why I heat wrapped my headers, up pipes, cross over pipe and down pipe. So when we got to discussing why they said it sounded like a waste of time and pointless to them. That's someone else's opinion of course and we all know those are like @$$ holes, everybody has one. This all came to because when they got to talking about powder coating intercooler piping I told them I would never do that due to the powder coat holding heat. All my years of racing motocross we tried different things from ceramic coating, powder coating, anodizing etc just to add color to my bike (I liked to stand out) I always found that my bikes ran hotter with powder coated parts, this may just be me and the "theory" I have in my head though.

So later this evening I posted this little "write up" on my Facebook to try and get a few others opinions. So let me know what you guys think.

Luke think of it like this, just a racers mentality. If you powder coat IC pipes, powder coat holds heat and leaving exhaust piping like manifolds, up pipes and down pipe as well as turbine housings un wrapped you are letting heat escape to the IC piping and intake producing un needed heat making your intake air temps warmer. So if you wrap the exhaust side and use turbo blankets like my setup your minimizing the hot air escaping and going to the engine bay as it rises. By minimizing the hot air rising up into the engine bay your reducing intake air temps which in turn, colder air makes for a better combustion, producing more power. I don't powder coat IC piping I use Dupli Color engine enamel. Is it as pretty no, but it also doesn't hold heat.

Let me know what you fellas think. I'd like to hear other peoples opinions. To help describe what I am talking about I have posted pictures below.
Attached Thumbnails
Maximizing "Cold Air"-10448182_10203239680584500_3533082292029688046_n.jpg   Maximizing "Cold Air"-10340174_10203245052038783_547385122215299081_n.jpg   Maximizing "Cold Air"-10478176_10203245792337290_2566702495567498842_n.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2014, 08:17 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
if you wrap the up pipe you are making more heat for the turbo. and yes powder coating will retain heat in your intercooler tube so your maxiepad friends are douce bags
Old 06-15-2014, 08:43 PM

Well they aren't the only crowd who seems to think this. I just know I'm not the only who probably has this mentality. Just wanted others opinions.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:13 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I think the big thing hear is how big a difference does this make.Ppl have been having intercooler pipes painted since who knows when. I just think it would be pretty minimal if any difference the pipe us still in a really hot engine bay whether they are wrapped, painted or stock. It would be kinda cool to put a temp sensor into the intake elbow and see what happens before or after.
Heavy_GD likes this.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:31 PM

This is the thing though. You are wrapping the exhaust side trying to minimize the amount of heat that escapes from the pipes. Heat rises, so me wrapping my headers and all other exhaust components (I double wrap them to provide maximum heat soak) is minimizeing the amount of heat that comes into the engine bay. Is it still there yes? Is it cooler than it would be without wrap absolutely.

Here is my other think about powder coating the intercooler tubing. We actually done a test with this type setup between my truck and a friends 6.0 I painted my IC pipes using the engine enamel and we powder coated his using my Harbor Freight powder machine and Craigslist Oven to powder coat his stuff. I didn't over coat his piping or anything I just covered it enough to cover the sand blasted surface. We drove from my shop (both trucks dead cold) to the local Zaxbys to grab a bite to eat and when we popped the hoods at Zaxbys you could tell a difference in the heat being held in the IC pipes just by the feel of your hand. This makes me wonder if I had a heat gun how big a difference was there in the heat? Obviously hotter air is gonna cause a loss in power.

How much of a loss in power that is what I am uncertain of and wondering about. I also am wondering if there is any PROVEN gains by wrapping exhaust piping and actually producing more power by reducing engine bay temperatures. Is this a possibility? Is it a piece of mind or something that is just "preventative" to keep engine bay temps cooler in general?

Like I said in my OP maybe its just a "racers" state of mind but something I was curious about others opinions on.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:50 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
the wrapping of up pipes and the use of turbo blankets is to retain heat in that side of the system, heat spools turbo quicker.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:13 AM

I am aware of this but less heat escapes with the exhaust side covered.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:37 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
No problem just wanted to throw that out there so there was no confusion.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:25 AM
Premium Member

I have also thought a lot about this... Here is my take...

Wrapping the exhaust mani and up- pipes will help retain heat inside the pipes which should help reduce heat in the engine bay. Also it should help increase drive pressures which should help the turbo to run more efficiently and spool up quicker. There are a lot of misconceptions about "heat" and "egts". Your turbo thrives on egts and drive pressure. People worry a lot about how high their egts are... but your turbo actually desires higher temps and drive pressures to run more efficiently. You don't want to see 1500+ degrees all the time, but the higher the temps... the better/harder the turbo runs. So if you can get your turbo to spool quicker, faster, and run more efficiently... then you will be making better/healthier/more efficient power, which should result in lower engine temps. IMO it is a great idea to wrap your exhaust mani and up pipes

Hot side charge pipe - the air temps coming out of the turbo can be upwards of 500 degrees Fahrenheit. If you wrap the hot side pipe then you are holding all that heat in. You don't want that kind of heat. Theoretically if the temps under your engine bay are close to the radiator temp then the temp under the hood should around 200-250 degrees... which should actually cool off the 500 degree air coming out of the turbo through the hot side charge pipe. So IMO it would not make sesne to wrap the hot side

Cold side charge pipe is another story. Depending on the efficiency of your intercooler and how much boost you are making... the temps could drop down to as far as 150 - 250 degrees after leaving the intercooler... now the air under the hood could actually heat up the cold side charge pipe depending on the scenario. So IMO wrapping the cold side pipe could actually result in lower temps
Heavy_GD and bgraiders323 like this.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:37 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I paint my pipes cauze its purdy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.