SCT XCal3 Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-11-2009, 08:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sidney, Ohio
Posts: 517
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SCT XCal3 Questions

Heres what I know. It was purchased 1 year ago from Elite and has never been unlocked. I can get a really good deal on it, 200 clams, but I have no clue about these things. I know I can add custom tunes later. He said he is going to return his truck to stock before he sells it. Do I have to do anything special to use it? like unlock it or am I going to be able to use it as is when I get it? I don't even know what this lock/unlock stuff means to be honest about it. Anything I should know about this thing before I spend some money on it? How many times can you unlock these things anyway? I assume you use a unlock feature for each different truck you use it on but I will only use it on 1 truck. Any help, tips, guidance, etc will certainly be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 01-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Mod Newbie


 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bloomington, IN.
Posts: 12,730
Thanks: 6
Thanked 116 Times in 109 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeDuck View Post
Heres what I know. It was purchased 1 year ago from Elite and has never been unlocked. I can get a really good deal on it, 200 clams, but I have no clue about these things. I know I can add custom tunes later. He said he is going to return his truck to stock before he sells it. Do I have to do anything special to use it? like unlock it or am I going to be able to use it as is when I get it? I don't even know what this lock/unlock stuff means to be honest about it. Anything I should know about this thing before I spend some money on it? How many times can you unlock these things anyway? I assume you use a unlock feature for each different truck you use it on but I will only use it on 1 truck. Any help, tips, guidance, etc will certainly be appreciated.
If he returns his truck to stock then it will not be locked. You can plug it in and you will have to get your trucks strategy and send it to someone like Eric at Innovative Diesel so he can write the custom tunes. I'm assuming you are getting it for the 04 F-250?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 01-11-2009, 09:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sidney, Ohio
Posts: 517
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yes it would be for the 04 6oh. My 99 has a DP tuner on it. Thanks for the help too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 01-11-2009, 09:51 AM
Mod Newbie


 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bloomington, IN.
Posts: 12,730
Thanks: 6
Thanked 116 Times in 109 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeDuck View Post
Yes it would be for the 04 6oh. My 99 has a DP tuner on it. Thanks for the help too.
No problem. Just be careful if you run a real hot tune on that 6.0. Probably need to check into blocking/deleting the EGR system and installing ARP head studs, + don't forget about exhaust and gauges. The factory intake is good for around 450-500 hp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 01-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sidney, Ohio
Posts: 517
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
No problem. Just be careful if you run a real hot tune on that 6.0. Probably need to check into blocking/deleting the EGR system and installing ARP head studs, + don't forget about exhaust and gauges. The factory intake is good for around 450-500 hp.
I'm certainly smart enough not to run it without a way to monitor the engine, I know what that DP can do with my 7.3. About the studs and Exh I have to be careful, this truck is still under a extended warranty and my local Ford dealer looks for tuners and other mods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 01-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Mod Newbie


 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bloomington, IN.
Posts: 12,730
Thanks: 6
Thanked 116 Times in 109 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeDuck View Post
I'm certainly smart enough not to run it without a way to monitor the engine, I know what that DP can do with my 7.3. About the studs and Exh I have to be careful, this truck is still under a extended warranty and my local Ford dealer looks for tuners and other mods.
Wasn't implying that you weren't smart, but the 6.0 is not as bullet proof as the 7.3. Just didn't want you to create any problems that aren't avoidable and cost yourself a bunch of money. Just telling you from experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 01-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sidney, Ohio
Posts: 517
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
Wasn't implying that you weren't smart, but the 6.0 is not as bullet proof as the 7.3. Just didn't want you to create any problems that aren't avoidable and cost yourself a bunch of money. Just telling you from experience.
I didn't take anything in a negative way and sorry if I sounded like I did. I asked because I just don't know about these tuners and I like honest answers even if its something I won't like or don't want to hear. A lot gets lost in interactions like this and especially when people don't know each other. I went to school for diesel and heavy equipment and done it for most of the last 30 years but you would have no way of knowing that. That said, I only know what I have read about the 6.0. I would dearly love to tear this thing down and stud it myself but I am betting Ford would kill the warranty if I did. The dealer I bought it from will do any warranty work regardless of what I do to it but they are 5 hours away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 01-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Mod Newbie


 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bloomington, IN.
Posts: 12,730
Thanks: 6
Thanked 116 Times in 109 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeDuck View Post
I didn't take anything in a negative way and sorry if I sounded like I did. I asked because I just don't know about these tuners and I like honest answers even if its something I won't like or don't want to hear. A lot gets lost in interactions like this and especially when people don't know each other. I went to school for diesel and heavy equipment and done it for most of the last 30 years but you would have no way of knowing that. That said, I only know what I have read about the 6.0. I would dearly love to tear this thing down and stud it myself but I am betting Ford would kill the warranty if I did. The dealer I bought it from will do any warranty work regardless of what I do to it but they are 5 hours away.
I would talk to your diesel tech there and see if he would be willing to install studs if you have an EGR cooler and or head gasket failure. That is what I did when mine went. I didn't think you took it negatively but just felt I should let you know that I didn't mean it negatively. I worked at a Ford dealership for 2 years as the Shop Foreman so I know how they can be. Learned quite a bit in that time as well about both the 7.3 and the 6.0.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 01-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sidney, Ohio
Posts: 517
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I did talk to the locals guys and they said they would install studs if I bought them if and when it needed HG's. Then they told me it had to have stock Int. and Exh. and they would also check to see if it had a tuner on it at any time. I can run my scanner over it and wipe out any trace of a code so I am not sure if they have a way to tell or not outside of a spray pattern on the top of the pistons. This thing is puking AF anyway, I should get it in there soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 01-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Mod Newbie


 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bloomington, IN.
Posts: 12,730
Thanks: 6
Thanked 116 Times in 109 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeDuck View Post
I did talk to the locals guys and they said they would install studs if I bought them if and when it needed HG's. Then they told me it had to have stock Int. and Exh. and they would also check to see if it had a tuner on it at any time. I can run my scanner over it and wipe out any trace of a code so I am not sure if they have a way to tell or not outside of a spray pattern on the top of the pistons. This thing is puking AF anyway, I should get it in there soon.
Just so you know, the dealership and/or Ford has to be able to prove that the after market parts caused the failure. I know every dealership is different. I've been told that they can see if a tuner has been installed even if you clear it. Mine wasn't detected because it didn't reprogram the computer like the SCT does. I had the Banks 6 Gun and it just plugged inline with the computer and intercepted signals. When they had my heads off though, you could definetely that there was a tuner installed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors