HELP! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 07:59 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP!

hi i need help i have a 2005 6.0 f350 and it was running top notch and i dont drive it hard at all and i never pull with it just drive around town but i smelled oil so i popped the hood and oil was squirting out be hind the turbo the truck still runs fine so i did not drive it and had it towed to ford what do you think it is it is like it sprung a leek? no oil lights on nothing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2009, 08:06 AM
lifetime member

welcome to the org. maybe a tech will chime in.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

maybe the o-ring for the drain tube out of the turbo is leaking. normally when we see oil leaks up top, it's an oil filter cap o-ring.
fyi, driving your 6.0 around town like a grandpa is the worst thing for it. the trucks that we do the most repairs to are the ones not driven as intended. i have a customer that has 408,000 on his 6.0 because it spends all its time towing on the freeway. he has had an egr cooler, turbo, and injectors but not much more. if you grandpa drive it, the variable geometry portion of the turbo will rust and seize and not operate as designed, this causes underboost or overboost conditions. drive them like you stole them and tow all you want, they will thank you for it.
take your truck to the dealer, if it's under 100,000 it's still under warranty, even for the oil leak.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:06 AM

yes i did thanks!! what do you think about the 6.0 is it a solid motor i hear head gaskets blow all the time what are improvements i can do to make it bullet proof?
Old 01-10-2009, 09:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp2005 View Post
what do you think about the 6.0 is it a solid motor i hear head gaskets blow all the time what are improvements i can do to make it bullet proof?
ARP studs, ITP's Fuel Regulated Return, either block off or delete the EGR, and a good set gauges(with tuned or not) would be high up on my priority list. If you don't tune the truck then those would make it pretty darn reliable. If you tune it, then you might want to throw in an exhaust upgrade as well. If you do anything else for higher hp, depending on what that is, then you'll have to do other supporting mods to that, but those in the first sentence would be the very basics that I would suggest to make it a reliable motor.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:15 AM

is it a big pain to stud the heads and who has the best aftermarket head gaskets? also if i stud the heads or mod the motor does that void my warranty i did some recherche and it is not clear on what voids you're warranty i guess it is up to the dealer ? i think if they refuse you they half to refund you're money back for the warranty i know you can get a aftermarket warranty and they don't really ask if you mod the motor not sure how that workes
Old 01-10-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
is it a big pain to stud the heads and who has the best aftermarket head gaskets?
It's about a 4 day job. If you have other stuff you want done, this would be the time to do it as typically they only charge you for the labor of the studs and only the cost of parts for the other stuff unless you already provide the parts for them.

Unless you plan on going well well over 500 hp, you won't need aftermarket gaskets. In fact, aftermarket gaskets are a pain because they leave very little room for error with regard to installation. If they aren't done right, you'll be back in there again. Only good news is that you'll be able to re-use the ARPs.

Everything I'm running is on stock gaskets and I'm a little over 500 hp.

Quote:
also if i stud the heads or mod the motor does that void my warranty i did some recherche and it is not clear on what voids you're warranty i guess it is up to the dealer ?
It is up to the individual dealer and if they do more then likely you'll always have to go back to that dealer, because if they do that that really isn't with Ford's blessing that is just customer service for you. However, if you go somewhere else and they notice that you have studs(which you can tell without digging into the engine) then they could red-flag you and actually prevent the dealership that gave you the go-ahead and promised to warranty the work from easily doing more work under warranty.

Quote:
i think if they refuse you they half to refund you're money back for the warranty i know you can get a aftermarket warranty and they don't really ask if you mod the motor not sure how that workes
I wouldn't go with an aftermarket warranty. I hear of a lot more headaches then good news about those. However, you could get lucky and get a good one, but I wouldn't chance it.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:40 AM

thanks !!!for all you're help this sight is the best !!!also can you just pull the factory bolts out and loctite the studs and replace the bolts with studs one at a time with out pulling the heads or head gaskets and torque the studs all the same i have seen the arp studs for about 400.00
Old 01-10-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
replace the bolts with studs one at a time with out pulling the heads or head gaskets and torque the studs all the same
There are people that I have done that and have so far reported everything as ok. I am not a fan of that procedure just because that takes into account the assumption that nothing is wrong with the truck and while there may not be any outward signs of something wrong, there might be the beginnings of it.

Price and time wise I can understand why people want to do it that way, but I lose money the more my truck is out of commission and I would rather have it done the sure fire way and not have to deal with the chance of something not having been done right the first time.

Also, if you do decide to continue to use this method, this would forsure preclude you from being able to do aftermarket gaskets. I would either pull the motor out or lift the cab(first choice and what was done on mine).
Old 01-10-2009, 10:54 AM

I understand pulling it apart is the 100% best thanks!!!!!what do you think about the transition how much can they take over factory hp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.