Airdog Info PLEASE - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 05:31 AM
International Harvester

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Airdog Info PLEASE

I am thinking about putting an AirDog system on my truck. Would it be beneficial for me to do this? Should I do the 100 GPH or 150 PGH system? Any and all info on this will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2009, 07:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Beneficial if you decided to keep your truck for along time, longer cleaner oil which means more miles before an oil change, as performance I guess there might be a lil performance gain...As far as the 100-150 gph Pending on what you are planning to do with your truck 100 gph would be I think programmer, exhaust etc as for the 150 gph would be for the guys with bigger injectors , turbo's etc.......

Last edited by Spoolin05Stinker; 01-10-2009 at 07:22 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 03f250stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin05Stinker View Post
Beneficial if you decided to keep your truck for along time, longer cleaner oil which means more miles before an oil change, as performance I guess there might be a lil performance gain...As far as the 100-150 gph Pending on what you are planning to do with your truck 100 gph would be I think programmer, exhaust etc as for the 150 gph would be for the guys with bigger injectors , turbo's etc.......
what the heck are you talking about with oil?

the air dog is nothing more then a helper pump for the 6.0s..the 150 pump is a little bigger and includes the draw straw. i have the 150 pump and i also have a raptor pump. the air dog is feeding the raptor and i took my OE lift pump out. i have stock injectors, so dont worry about the 100 vs the 150. i would go with the 150 myself.

its a nice pump but dont expect to gain anything from it other then cleaner fuel and it being a little more pressurized. like i said its just a helper pump that goes after the fuel tank and before the OE lift pump. i would wait for the new airdog to come out and that its a full stand alone kit like the FASS. but if you want cleaner fuel and a little more pressure i would get it, nothing wrong with it and the guys down at pure flow are top notch.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:43 AM
International Harvester

Thanks for the info Evan, I was a little confused from the post above yours too. I would like to do a Industrial Injection Hybrid turbo and 190's in the future so I figured I should upgrade the fuel system.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:51 AM
one day at a time

Like Evan said, its not much of a performance mod as far as HP goes, but it does help provide adequate fuel pressure for big tunes. Used in conjunction with my reg return I have great fuel pressure all the way through the powerband. The biggest benefit is the air/water separation. Its good peace of mind to know your injectors are getting nothing but fresh fuel. The 100 is good enough for stock and mild injector upgrades, and uses the stock fuel pickup tube, meaning you don't have to drop the tank or lift the bed to install the new larger pickup tube, which comes with the FP-150. I got the 150, I figured for the same price why not have more than I should need. I also bought the ITP fuel tube kit which is stainless instead of the pvc that comes with the airdog. If you get the ITP straw you also need to purchase an adapter from NAPA or similar store to connect the ITP straw to the airdog fuel line. They are 1/8" different. All it is is a common 90* hydrolic fitting. I'll be adding a raptor pump shortly too to feed my future injector upgrade.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The Airdog 100 and an aftermarket pump (Aeromotive,Fuelab,etc.) makes a good setup for injectors up to 190's. Above that should use the 150.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:42 AM
International Harvester

Would this mod decrease my fuel mileage at all? My truck is a daily driver so I don't want to sacrifice any MPG.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Too cool for school

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to taylorking Send a message via Yahoo to taylorking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep1824 View Post
Would this mod decrease my fuel mileage at all? My truck is a daily driver so I don't want to sacrifice any MPG.
With cleaner fuel and a more stable fuel pressure, if mpg were to drop that would be a major problem
Old 01-10-2009, 09:05 AM
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep1824 View Post
No it won't affect mileage, if anything it would help but I didn't see any measureable difference.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizsla View Post
The Airdog 100 and an aftermarket pump (Aeromotive,Fuelab,etc.) makes a good setup for injectors up to 190's. Above that should use the 150.
Injector size has nothing to do with which AirDog you get. If you run it in my preferred configuration, AirDog as a low pressure/high volume device feeding a high pressure/high volume pump like the FueLab, the high pressure pump determines which AirDog you need.

I run my FueLab pumps at 70gph@70psi and an AirDog 100 will feed that all day long with no problems. The Aeromotive A1000 is slightly less GPH at that PSI, so the 100 will feed it just fine as well. You would only need the 150 if your primary pump is moving too close to the 100gph range for comfort.

Also...if you have a 100 and later need more, you can buy the parts to switch it yourself.

All that said, I don't see any point to running an AirDog 150 when a 100 will do the job. All you are doing is moving more fuel around than is necessary...the quantity of fuel reaching the engine is still determined by the primary pump.

Lastly, the 150 comes with a 1/2 pickup tube. If you will be running an A1000 or FueLab, both companies recommend a 5/8" pickup. I highly recommend running the larger one, but this means changing the inlet and outlet fittings and hose on the AirDog to 5/8" as well. This is important because the primary pump will have to PULL fuel through the AirDog should the AirDog ever quit running (blown fuse, failed relay, damaged motor, etc).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.