Powermax vs ATS Aurora 3000, currently have ATS but have a chance for a good deal on - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2014, 06:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Powermax vs ATS Aurora 3000, currently have ATS but have a chance for a good deal on

Wondering the differences or gains/losses in switching to a powermax?

Currently have the ATS aurora 3000 that came with the truck, but I'm looking for some more juice.

I just picked up an SCT tuner, so I may give it a shot and see what I can pump out of this ATS before upgrading.

What do you guys think? Can I squeeze some juice out of this ATS or just pick up a powermax?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2014, 07:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.mo View Post
Wondering the differences or gains/losses in switching to a powermax?

Currently have the ATS aurora 3000 that came with the truck, but I'm looking for some more juice.

I just picked up an SCT tuner, so I may give it a shot and see what I can pump out of this ATS before upgrading.

What do you guys think? Can I squeeze some juice out of this ATS or just pick up a powermax?

I think there are better options than the PMax, but I'd get a custom tune written for the ATS and run it before giving up on it. You could find that you like it. It's a small charger, but has a nice compressor map, so on a stock injector truck with intake , exhaust and tuner, it should run well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 06-11-2014, 11:49 AM

What year is your truck? I have a brand new MTW stage 2 I need to get rid of. It won't work with my early '04. I'll give you an awesome deal on it if it'll work for your truck
Old 06-11-2014, 11:49 AM

Old 06-11-2014, 12:16 PM

Sent you a PM
Old 06-11-2014, 05:20 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJR305 View Post
What year is your truck? I have a brand new MTW stage 2 I need to get rid of. It won't work with my early '04. I'll give you an awesome deal on it if it'll work for your truck
Won't work or don't want to run it? Just curious.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:30 PM

I think you can get more ho out of the powermax. It's a bigger turbo. However the ats 3000 should have less lag. So even though the powermax flows more air you might not like the way it drives if that makes sense. Get a custom tune written for your ats but powermax gets my vote.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeaby View Post
I think you can get more ho out of the powermax. It's a bigger turbo. However the ats 3000 should have less lag. So even though the powermax flows more air you might not like the way it drives if that makes sense. Get a custom tune written for your ats but powermax gets my vote.

You must remember that a nonVGT turbo WILL ALWAYS out flow a VGT turbo on the top end and sometimes I'm the mid RPM's as well, even though the nonVGT may be smaller. Lately, companies like KC, Barder and VDP have been experimenting and building VGT's that level the playing field. Still, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone with even a little bit of knowledge about turbos that would claim in a side by side comparison, two like sized turbos (68's),one being VGT and one being nonVGT, would flow close to the same. The nonVGT always wins up top and the VGT wins down low.

In this case, I believe the ATS would out spool an out of the box PMax, but might be over taken by the PMax on the top simply due to size. The ATS is small. I'm not sure on its capabilities, but after a little research, it seems to be a stout turbo capable of 35 psi on a tuned, stock injectored truck. My vote still goes to getting a custom tune written for it and rolling with the ATS.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
william_ace likes this.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:08 PM

Matt thanks for that info. Why do non vgt turbos out flow up top I understand why 2 of the same sized turbos down low the but wins but why the non vgt up top. do the vanes not completely open even up top?
Old 06-12-2014, 03:25 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeaby View Post
Matt thanks for that info. Why do non vgt turbos out flow up top I understand why 2 of the same sized turbos down low the but wins but why the non vgt up top. do the vanes not completely open even up top?
Well... the theory is that the vgt vanes get in the way of air flow up top in the rpm band.

but... I know I will get bashed for this... All the evidence shows that vgt turbo will flow the same as non-vgt turbos. People make similar power on dynos, tracks, and compressor maps say they flow the same... but everyone talks about non-vgt turbos flowing more up top.

The theory makes sense but I have not seen any data to support the subject.

I would put my KC 68mm stage 3 turbo up against any 67.7 FMW on similar trucks any day of the week... Not saying that I would win, but it would be cool to see what happens.
jmeaby likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.