How do these readings look? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lilpooh

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 09:03 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How do these readings look?

I'm still learning here and could use some advice on the display readings of my tuner. could you all give me an idea if all is well here, was driving for 15 min. with the cruse on and decided to take a photo of the livewire display.
Thanks for looking.
Attached Thumbnails
How do these readings look?-display-readings.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2014, 09:09 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
10* delta isn't that bad, just keep an eye on it. Your ICP is reading ICPv, you can check the health of HPOP system with a WOT run, your ICPv should hit about 4.6v to 4.8v, which translate to about 4000psi.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 06-04-2014, 09:16 AM

Ok I will have to find the abbreviation sheet for what you just posted. the PO replaced the oil cooler for the second time back in October. I defiantly don't trust the slime they call coolant in these things. they flushed and repeated several times.

BTW Nice Avatar.. Those your sisters? just kidding.. Thanks and any advice is welcome!
Old 06-04-2014, 09:46 AM
Powerstroke Techie

ICP is injection control pressure which is read by the ICP sensor. The ICP sensor uses a 5v Ref wire (5v positive power wire). The sensor reads high pressure oil (0-4000psi) and translates the psi to volts (0v-4.8 range). The more the pressure increases, the more the volts go up.

You can use that reading to determine the health of the HPOP system (High Pressure Oil Pump, standpipes, STC fitting, and Dummy plugs). If you have a small leak in the HPOP system or a weak HPOP, it will show up in a WOT (wide open throttle) run. The ICP sensor reads the pressure thru volts, if the HPOP has issues, the pressure will not be able to reach about 4.8v or 4000psi at WOT.

Some custom tune writers will fool the ICP pressure in the PCM to squeeze out more power. The tune will make it look like you have a weak HPOP by only displaying about 1500psi, so if you test the WOT run when tuned and only see 1500psi instead of 4000psi, you will need to do the test with the stock tune.

LOL, I use to be able to change my avatar thru my phone, but Autoguide app screwed that up right after Christmas!!

WLDHRSE likes this.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
ICP is injection control pressure which is read by the ICP sensor. The ICP sensor uses a 5v Ref wire (5v positive power wire). The sensor reads high pressure oil (0-4000psi) and translates the psi to volts (0v-4.8 range). The more the pressure increases, the more the volts go up.

You can use that reading to determine the health of the HPOP system (High Pressure Oil Pump, standpipes, STC fitting, and Dummy plugs). If you have a small leak in the HPOP system or a weak HPOP, it will show up in a WOT (wide open throttle) run. The ICP sensor reads the pressure thru volts, if the HPOP has issues, the pressure will not be able to reach about 4.8v or 4000psi at WOT.

Some custom tune writers will fool the ICP pressure in the PCM to squeeze out more power. The tune will make it look like you have a weak HPOP by only displaying about 1500psi, so if you test the WOT run when tuned and only see 1500psi instead of 4000psi, you will need to do the test with the stock tune.

LOL, I use to be able to change my avatar thru my phone, but Autoguide app screwed that up right after Christmas!!

Lilpooh,

Could the earlier ICP sensors read differently? My early 04 ICPv only hits 4.5 and it will stay there through a full throttle run. I am reading it using the Torque app so I am not sure if there is a way of displaying higher; if there is, I havent found it as I have tried every setting they have.

Sorry for the derail,
Sean
Old 06-04-2014, 06:08 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanol View Post
Lilpooh,

Could the earlier ICP sensors read differently? My early 04 ICPv only hits 4.5 and it will stay there through a full throttle run. I am reading it using the Torque app so I am not sure if there is a way of displaying higher; if there is, I havent found it as I have tried every setting they have.

Sorry for the derail,

Sean

I also have the early 04. Max volt reading of the ICP is 4.8v. Your displaying 4.5v isn't bad, might be the Torque app only reading to 4.5v or not enough load on the motor (like towing).

It's when you start maxing out to about 4.0v or less and truck feels slower that I would start looking for issues with sensors or HPOP system.

Here is one of my runs hitting 4.7v.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
I also have the early 04. Max volt reading of the ICP is 4.8v. Your displaying 4.5v isn't bad, might be the Torque app only reading to 4.5v or not enough load on the motor (like towing).

It's when you start maxing out to about 4.0v or less and truck feels slower that I would start looking for issues with sensors or HPOP system.

Here is one of my runs hitting 4.7v.

Thanks!

I should have enough load as I am running 38" tires on 3.73 gearing. Under full throttle I will hit 4.5 and hold that until I let off. Sounds like I don't have an issue yet.

Appreciate the feedback,
Sean
Old 06-05-2014, 05:03 PM

Ok I'm going to reload the stock tune and do the diagnostic tests that the tuner has, zero to 60. and a few others.. and also check out the ICP readings,

How long do you hold wot to conclude the test?
Old 06-07-2014, 04:38 PM

Programed the economy/performance tune and the Delta dropped to 6 deg. under normal 55-60 mph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.