Towing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2014, 05:03 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Towing

I'm going to be moving back up to Alaska alot sooner then expected and i'm trying to figure out what my truck will safely tow with what i have done to it. Or if i will have to down size my turbo and injectors to tow around 15k for 4000 miles on level ground and up and over some tall mountains. My sig should say everything i have done to my truck as of right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2014, 07:40 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have lots of guys that tow big with larger turbos. You just need to get a good tow tune written for you truck.

Talk to your tuner and let him know you want a good safe tow tune. He should be able to get you take care. I am not saying you will be towing, getting fuel mileage and only hitting 600egts... but you should be fine

DO NOT TOW ON A RACE TUNE EVEN FOR SHORT DISTANCES
Stiles likes this.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I've pulled the ALCAN multiple times, and honestly wouldn't do it in your truck loaded with a 15k trailer. Is that 15k trailer or combined? I've towed that route multiple times with 15k trailer and there is nothing "level" about the interior route. You going to take coastline route? May be little flatter. People on here don't understand what "remote" means up there. In the Yukon you'll be 1000 miles between certified diesel repair after passing Whitehorse. You have to be reliable, I had all tools, compressor, welder, nearly enough spare parts to rebuild engine myself. If nothing else get a tune to pull the fuel down to stock levels. Just realize if you have any major failure you will be seriously in a pickle.
snafu! likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to jetjock15 For This Useful Post:
Heavy_GD (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 04:06 AM

I'm just basing that on big injectors, turbo, and the airdog, I've heard folks have issues towing with those items from both a heat and reliabilty standpoint. I'd drop the Ficm tune also. My opinion is you underestimating the terrain, I've towed everywhere and the hills don't get any steeper than that route though most are not sustained to long. Another problem is the condition of the roads, in the states you can gain speed going downhill before going up the next, for example, in Yukon the bottom will be all busted out huge potholes you have to come to 5mph to cross then you starting the bottom of every hill with no momentum. A 15k trailer and 190/75s sounds like high EGTs climbing 7% grade. If you do it, please post a writeup on the trip. I think it will be eye opening for all the theorists on this forum about huge injectors and towing. Please let us know actual combined weight too, I assume you'll weigh it for the PCS. I had stock injectors and turbo when I ran that route, don't know if I'd do it with my 155s.

If your 15k combined I'd say your ok with tuning. If your talking 15k trailer mid 20s combined, I'd make some changes. I grossed 22k on one trip and 28k on another, my fan was on and my temps were up multiple times even in neg 30 degrees for what that's worth.
snafu! likes this.

Last edited by jetjock15; 06-02-2014 at 04:29 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jetjock15 For This Useful Post:
Heavy_GD (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 04:45 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I would see if you can source a back up air dog.

Last edited by Heavy_GD; 06-02-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:35 AM
Premium Member

Jetjock seems to know his stuff when it comes to a lot of those routes. He would be a good resource. I went off of what you said about being flat most of the way. 4000 miles is a long way though... I would work on making sure everything is reliable (like the airdog fuel pump)

Obviously smaller turbo and injectors would be ideal. But I have guys that tow heavy trailers (15,000-20,000lbs) with larger injectors and bigger turbos. It is all about the tune and rpms that you stay in and not lugging the motor. From the pics it looks like you are on relatively normal/stock height tires which will really help. Once people start putting big lifts and tires on the truck it really hurts your towing ability.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:42 AM
Premium Member

Jetjock is not kidding, the Alcan is no joke. Better bring your A game, especially traveling it in late fall or winter.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:42 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I can tell you one thing, I wouldn't even think about driving as far as to work with an Airdog II 165 POS pump. Let alone all the way up AK. Forget that....
Old 06-02-2014, 08:30 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjock15 View Post
I'm just basing that on big injectors, turbo, and the airdog, I've heard folks have issues towing with those items from both a heat and reliabilty standpoint. I'd drop the Ficm tune also. My opinion is you underestimating the terrain, I've towed everywhere and the hills don't get any steeper than that route though most are not sustained to long. Another problem is the condition of the roads, in the states you can gain speed going downhill before going up the next, for example, in Yukon the bottom will be all busted out huge potholes you have to come to 5mph to cross then you starting the bottom of every hill with no momentum. A 15k trailer and 190/75s sounds like high EGTs climbing 7% grade. If you do it, please post a writeup on the trip. I think it will be eye opening for all the theorists on this forum about huge injectors and towing. Please let us know actual combined weight too, I assume you'll weigh it for the PCS. I had stock injectors and turbo when I ran that route, don't know if I'd do it with my 155s.

If your 15k combined I'd say your ok with tuning. If your talking 15k trailer mid 20s combined, I'd make some changes. I grossed 22k on one trip and 28k on another, my fan was on and my temps were up multiple times even in neg 30 degrees for what that's worth.
I made the drive down in 2012 with a total weight of 25000 pounds but I had stock injectors and a powermax. I fully understand the terrain i will be driving through. My truck did not get hot at all last time fan only came on when i got down towards TX also EGT's never got over 1200 but that was with me babying it over the mountains. Throttle was never put to the floor and i averaged about 11mpg. However last time i drove it it was July and this time it will be in February so the roads will still be ice. I will have all my tools which should be enough to make any repair that might be needed in route. I'm really trying to decide if i need to downsize everything before i make the trip. I'm hoping i don't have anything over 20,000 combined the trailer will way around 5k by it self with and then a legal payload of 10k on top of that. My tires are now 195/68/18 which is 1/8" shorter then stock and 1" wider then stock. No lift on the truck and i have air bags on the back. Trailer I'm looking at getting is 32' enclosed gooseneck. If i do decide to keep what i have i will be getting a few spare injectors and spare airdog motor or i might just replace the airdog set up all together. I cant really go to a smaller turbo with out going with smaller injectors so i would rather not go that route if i don't have to.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:06 PM

well that is good you are familiar with the route, it is amazing county. Ive done the trip in the winter, it is beautiful. No cars but one a two a day in passing, the road is very smooth plated with 10-12" of smooth clear black ice. Take your time and the trip is pleasant. Now the cold brings its own set of issues. I had a generator in the trailer and I would never have both engines shut down at same time. Get generator running before I would shut down truck, get truck running before I would shut down generator. Obviously have truck plugged in off generator or a plug if one is available. I would get to some sort of town or gas station if able before ever shutting down. One night it was -40 all night, i only slept from 2-7am I just left truck running, the risk of a no start outweighed 4-5 gallons that burned to idle. you have to watch out for the frost heavs in winter, they are insane. I broke a trailer axle, combination of slightly overloaded and the frost heaves. Had to unhook and drive 500 miles each way for parts. I had to work on my trailer to include welding in a pullout in -35 degrees, I had a marshmellow work suit made by carhart, invest in one. The second the trailer axle broke it was dark and I couldnt see much. I parked and slept in the road with hazards on, I heard one car go by that night. At first light i made it to a pullout about two miles, the stub axle slide very smooth and the clear ice - good times, great adventures, priceless memories. Do a writeup with pics, I am kinda jealous!
peixinho likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.