Intercooler comparison, side by side - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2014, 11:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Intercooler comparison, side by side

Hello, members and 6.0 powerstroke owners.

Members know me from building turbos but this thread is not going to be a sell pitch for them but to help all turbo make power efficiently. I did started turbo building a while back and have been busy so I have not been able to do the things I like to do the most, which is testing, side by side comparison, to help out other 6.0 powerstroke owners, and give them some information to help them make a decision on products for their trucks.

Now that I finally have gotten my test truck back, I can start to do the testing I wanted to.

I will be comparing as many air intercooler as I can, how do I plan to do it? here is the plan, I will be doing real testing, I will be welding some buns to my intercooler pipes to fit air temp probes in them. One probe will be installed just before intercooler and the other right after intercooler. I will be using stock intercooler first and collect the data on temp. differences. Later I will be switching to other intercoolers, Banks first since I have that one now, then Spearco, and so on. The intercooler pipes will remain the same as with the turbo,and intake as to keep this as even as possible.

I believe aftermarket intercoolers do make difference, but don't know for sure. It would be nice to know if the intercooler makes a difference or even worth it before spending money on one. Other then the stock intercooler made with plastic end caps, does it do the same job as a aftermarket one? I know that the cooler the air charge going into the engine, which is also giving you dense air, which means it has more oxygen it will produce more power. But what I don't know is how much better do after market intercoolers work and which one is better. I also know that this is going to be on my truck so some results may be different depending on combination of parts on other trucks, but will give some sort of in site of efficiency of the intercooler.

There are other reasons for the testing I will be doing but I will not go into that yet. This is a first of many threads I plan on starting with some really crazy things I have plan. I enjoy doing this sort of stuff for my own knowledge and to help others. I will not be doing dyno testing with the intercoolers since I don't have a dyno that is available to me, but as stated before the cooler charge will equal more power.

Thanks,
Patriot and john galt like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madpowerstroke For This Useful Post:
Brew_WY (06-02-2014), Canadian Mind (07-19-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2014, 01:16 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
That sounds great! I am very excited to hear some results.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:33 PM

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
In on this..
Old 06-01-2014, 06:04 PM
Premium Member

I welded the bpd tank kit on my stock cooler and for sure lost 100 on egts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to portcity_gt For This Useful Post:
JR2 (10-28-2014), kinnisoj (06-02-2014)
Old 06-01-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcity_gt View Post
I can believe that, which is exactly why I want to do the comparison. I know I lost about 100-150 degrees on egt with the banks, and have heard about same with other brands. I also plan on welded BPD tank kit also in the comparison. If you can get away with the welded kit and does same as a Banks for less money then why not.

Now some may say that I'm not measuring flow of air and they would be right, but then some of flow is related to heat. The least of amount of resistance is also measured by heat, but in the end it is the efficiency that I'm after. Some intercooler company's talk about the bar system vs fin system, also some about core thickness. I just think it would be nice to find out what is really happing by measuring it.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:25 AM

This is great as I am in the market for an intercooler. Looking at Banks vs. Spearco/Turbonetics vs. Mishimoto.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:34 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by portcity_gt View Post
I personally have no data at all... but that seems very hard to believe unless something was wrong with your intercooler before. By simply welding on new ends you are basically keeping the same shaped, size, design, and cooling abilities of the stock cooler. The end tanks don't do the cooling... the center section that remains the same is what cools the air. It is hard to imagine any huge gains by changing from plastic to metal... well except being able to hold higher psi

Last edited by peixinho; 06-02-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:50 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Very interested in this as well
Old 06-02-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peixinho View Post
I personally have no data at all... but that seems very hard to believe unless something was wrong with your intercooler before. By simply welding on new ends you are basically keeping the same shaped, size, desin, and cooling abilities of the stock cooler. The end tanks don't do the cooling... the center section that remains the same is what cools the air. It is hard to imagine any huge gains by changing from plastic to metal... well except being able to hold higher psi
I agree with you, like you said no data at all, so lets get some. Until I gather the data can't say one way or another. The testing will not put a end to the great intercooler debate, but will collect data to show how much of a air temp charge difference there is.

Ok, I will let something out, I plan on collecting the data so I can use it against a air to water intercooler kit that I will putting together. A air to water intercooler are suppose to be more efficient, but not too good for street. So my plan is to test air charge, then build the air to water system and see if temps can be made to stay down. The kit is a bunch of parts gathered of the internet, not a 6.7 system conversion, not that the conversion wouldn't work. The kit that I put together I will share, not interested in sell a kit, just something I will like to try out and if someone else wants to try it great.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:30 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by peixinho View Post
I personally have no data at all... but that seems very hard to believe unless something was wrong with your intercooler before. By simply welding on new ends you are basically keeping the same shaped, size, desin, and cooling abilities of the stock cooler. The end tanks don't do the cooling... the center section that remains the same is what cools the air. It is hard to imagine any huge gains by changing from plastic to metal... well except being able to hold higher psi

Agreed, no way you can loose that much temperature from welding on ends- bulletproof has to sell it somehow right? lol To have the most efficient cooling intercooler system, the cooler should have a "plate style" exchanger(s) which the spearco does have hence the higher cost with it. A radiator style(s-channel) exchanger(which the factory cooler has as well as banks and all others) is no where near the efficiency as the plate style exchanger. In for the testing though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.