Trans and injectors - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2014, 09:50 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trans and injectors

yes i tried searching i couldnt find an answer. Im rebuilding my injextoros and turbo so i need to up grade my trans from people i have been talking to seems im going to be laying down 550-600hp so i need to upgrade my trans and might be towing heavy from time to time. Mine is a 06 F350 CC DRW 4X4 auto, 255/80R17 KM2s, 4" Diamond eye straight pipe duals, RR, AFE stage 2, SCT (getting IDP tunes, X, Street and tow), will be building the equal to a typical stage 2 turbo and im looking at 170/70 injectors but was wondering can anyone else point me to more places that offer good DIY injector rebuild kits 170ccs and up? and what mods to the trans do i need to do? Im not to heavy on the throttle all the time so i dont need an all out trans and im trying to save money and either rip it down myself and upgrade it (yes im a competint mechcanic just dont ask me to spell it right lol) Im new to power strokes though and so far im impressed even over my duramax (snapped crank shaft on stock tune towing) and cummins (multiple tans an fuel pumps with no tune) so basically im trying to stay around $1,500 for trans upgrades and $1,000 for injector kits any suggestions?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2014, 10:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

you had Me at

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJWTX View Post
Im rebuilding my injextoros

those sound bad a.s.s
william_ace and Merc82 like this.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:14 AM
Serving Our Country!

lol wow so anyways writing and spell check is not my expertise lol. so besides my bad spelling and grammer any input?
Old 05-31-2014, 10:25 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Here's a good thread on DIY injextoros
Modifying injectors to larger flows
The Following User Says Thank You to snafu! For This Useful Post:
RJWTX (05-31-2014)
Old 05-31-2014, 10:55 AM
Serving Our Country!

Sweet info man cause it just happens IM A MACHINIST lol so this could save me GOBS of money thanks man
Old 05-31-2014, 09:42 PM
Serving Our Country!

well i figured out the injectors, now any input on the trans?
Old 06-01-2014, 08:29 PM
Serving Our Country!

I found DIY tread for both turbos and injectors, but cant find one for the trans. no one has a direction atleast they can point me to? i just want to rebuild it myself with new cltuch packs, the truck will be pushing around 600hp and stil tow pretty heavy from time to time (on a light tow tune of course, the 600 is on a race tune), so what do i need to do?
Old 06-01-2014, 09:01 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I only know of a couple people that have attempted to rebuild a 5R and neither completed the build. Andy Warren builds great tranies at a very reasonable price, you might want to check with him.

Edit:
Windrunner attempted rebuilding his and ended up sending it to Andy to complete it, they take a lot of specialty tools. In some transmission you have to machine the pressure plate to get the extra clutches to fit, Nate's had to and so did mine.

If you do attempt to build it yourself I would install a PI converter, Raybestos clutches (2 added to each pack), Kolene steels, billet input shaft and ring gear hub, transgo shift kit with upgrade low reverse snap ring, new solenoids, and new coolers.

Here is Nate's thread on rebuilding his 5R
The BACKYARDIGAN Build Thread

Last edited by snafu!; 06-01-2014 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Added more info
Old 06-02-2014, 07:37 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
At some point, you're gonna save $1 to spend $2 and it will take you two to three times longer to complete the project as opposed to if you just forked out the dough in the first place. There is no better example of this than with the 5r110 transmission and trying to Do It Yourself. Yes I tried it. And yes I got VERY close to having it done myself. I decided to take it to Andy to have him help me reassemble everything, because for me, it was more about having a tranny that I could be reasonably assured would function and drive right rather than saying I did it myself and then possibly have to go back in replace/redo something.

Like injectors, the number of 5r builders has increased over the past couple of years and prices have really come down. In fact, they've come down so low now that it is IMPOSSIBLE to build a 5r yourself (to the level that you would get if you just bought one from one of the reputable tranny builders) for less than what you would pay a reputable tranny builder. There are not only special tools, there are also little tricks that have to be implemented as well. I guess if you don't care about replacing all the bushings on a 100k+ mile tranny, ensuring that the clearances of the DD clutch pack are exact AND that you get ALL the extra clutches in, OR function testing everything before final assembly then yes you can build it for less.

Furthermore on the injectors, you can not buy nozzles straight from a MFG without being a dealer. So if you're looking to become an injector builder/dealer then go for it. Otherwise you'll have to buy them from an injector builder. And lastly on the injectors, you HAVE to have them flow tested. If for nothing else, just to ensure they all function and flow consistently the same rate. Sticking non-flow tested injectors that you just built yourself into your truck is just asking for issues IMO.

I gotta say man, believe me in that I am ALL FOR THE DIYer. I do just about everything myself. But at some point it just becomes more cost effective to just pay to get it done right the first time and call it a day. From two different stents now of having my truck down for 6+ months at a time, I can tell you that I would MUCH rather drive my truck than look at it sit in the drive way while I F'k around F'k around with little piddly stuff. JMO here. Anyways, you know I'll always answer your questions that you ask me in PMs, but I hope this insight helps you and others who read it. Best of luck with which ever way you decide to go.
peixinho and Merc82 like this.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:31 PM
Serving Our Country!

well that aggrivates me, not toward anything anyone said but the fact that these days there are special tool for everything and it almost seems so that there is a market to replace these things lol, and maybe one day i can build injectors locally for a hobby and yes i do plan on flow testing them to see how i did. I miss the days of pulling an old 350 SBC ripping it down and building a rat motor, things were so simple back then lol. but then again they could never touch my 6.0 in a streetable manner. I reckon ill just get one of those built trans, who can build one for a really good low price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.