IPR build...I'm going in... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2014, 07:32 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
IPR build...I'm going in...

Just wanted to document my experience with installing this kit...

First a little background...I just sold my 2012 F350 Lariat CC LB with 6" Fabtech lift with a ton of goodies on her. I'm still a little sick over the whole thing, especially because it only had 23K miles. Things got a little tight so being the responsible adult I am (...or stupid!?) I let it go and bought the 06 F250 Lariat CC SB I have now. It has 275K! miles on it, but is very clean, had only one owner and I only spent 8K. It had a bad #2 injector when I bought it so that was my first order of business. I've never torn into a diesel before but after watching you tube for hours I now have a false sense of confidence that I could fix anything. I always heard the 6.0 was a sack of shi! but I never cared to learn why until I owned one and because I skipped over it...(03 Cummings, 08 F250 6.4, then 12 6.7) But hey, slumming it builds character right? (just kidding you die hard 6.0 fans)

so....once I started reading about why this motor has issues and some of the fixes I decided to jump in and try and make it a reliable tow truck...( oh yeah, I have a pretty big toy hauler and I really don't want to be broke down on my way to the dunes).

I hope I don't get blasted for deciding on the IPR kit (I've read some of the forums and one day maybe someone will write a movie about all the drama)... but I think it's the right fit for my situation. Don't think one kit is better than the other, just different.

I have from IPR:

External Oil cooler Kit
High flow coolant filter
EGR Cooler (No delete, live in Ca., enough said)...but no rust *****es!

BPD Water Pump
Got a compressor wheel from Barder

Tons of other crap that is systematically draining my bank acct...including but not limited to, new u joints and carrier bearing, used leaf springs off a low mileage donor truck, mine had 2 broken leafs and we're flat, and various other misc stuff that most of you are all aware of...

Sorry to be so long winded but I'm scared chitless I'm going to screw something up, so I don't want to be alone when I do.

I'm hoping to have this stuff in by the end of this weekend...so here I go...

Was going to add some pic's...but it's asking for a URL. I've never uploaded pic's to a thread before...can't I just import off my computer??

Last edited by dlkj; 05-29-2014 at 07:36 PM. Reason: pictures
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2014, 05:04 AM
...swamp trash...

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sounds good. It is not hard when you get into it, just nuts and bolts. Do some reading, asks questions, take your time and be clean and organized. As for the pics it's easy you just have to load your pics into something such as Photobucket and copy the link from there and paste it as your "URL".
Old 05-30-2014, 05:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

your post is kind of all over the place but I think I follow. This forum is great for helping with the minor and major hurtles of bulletproofing. I dont know if I follow the logic about going from a 6.4 to a 6.7 to a 6.0 (w/275k miles) and now diving into $5G of bulletproofing, but to each his own. Buying a 12 new, lifting it, then selling it at 20k miles was a major hit, might of been better trying to keep that one if at all possible. I have fully bulletproof'd 6.0 and love it to death, reason being it has not EGR, no DEF (or DFP or whatever that extra fluid and process is), can eat nearly any fuel (even with water in it) and dont have to worry about the $10G fixes of the 6.7. But I have owned it since new and taken extremely good care of it, we have built a relationship of "trust" over the years lol. Hopefully the one you bought has some use left in it and works well for you. Sounds like your first mods are a good start and you are doing your reaserch with the youtube videos and all. Id use BPD's egr cooler not bolt another stock one on there. Blue fuel pressure spring is cheap and saves injectors and is very easy, id throw that on there asap. Swap the gold coolant to ELC (red), there is less crap in it and it lasts longer and works as well. Good luck and post specific questions and guys will answer very quickly and accurately, great forum.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Get a monitor of some sort.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-30-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc82 View Post
Sounds good. It is not hard when you get into it, just nuts and bolts. Do some reading, asks questions, take your time and be clean and organized. As for the pics it's easy you just have to load your pics into something such as Photobucket and copy the link from there and paste it as your "URL".
Thanks, always wondered what photo bucket was used for, this is a good example.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjock15 View Post
your post is kind of all over the place but I think I follow. This forum is great for helping with the minor and major hurtles of bulletproofing. I dont know if I follow the logic about going from a 6.4 to a 6.7 to a 6.0 (w/275k miles) and now diving into $5G of bulletproofing, but to each his own. Buying a 12 new, lifting it, then selling it at 20k miles was a major hit, might of been better trying to keep that one if at all possible. I have fully bulletproof'd 6.0 and love it to death, reason being it has not EGR, no DEF (or DFP or whatever that extra fluid and process is), can eat nearly any fuel (even with water in it) and dont have to worry about the $10G fixes of the 6.7. But I have owned it since new and taken extremely good care of it, we have built a relationship of "trust" over the years lol. Hopefully the one you bought has some use left in it and works well for you. Sounds like your first mods are a good start and you are doing your reaserch with the youtube videos and all. Id use BPD's egr cooler not bolt another stock one on there. Blue fuel pressure spring is cheap and saves injectors and is very easy, id throw that on there asap. Swap the gold coolant to ELC (red), there is less crap in it and it lasts longer and works as well. Good luck and post specific questions and guys will answer very quickly and accurately, great forum.
I guess I was a little all over the place...the logic for stepping down was simply because of financial reasons. My 12 was pretty much my dream truck but the mortgage comes first. I will get another new truck in a few years once I straighten the ship.

I am installing IPR's egr cooler, I definitely didn't want to go back stock with that, and I did forget to mention that I have the blue spring mod. As far as coolant I was thinking about using Evans waterless coolant after flushing with Fleetguard restore and restore +.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. As I've research the 6.0, its opened my eyes a little and i learned that this was actually a good motor with a few flaws. Once those are handled I'm hoping this will be a decent tow rig.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselEnthusiast View Post
Get a monitor of some sort.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

I have a SCT Livewire that I sent back to SCT to get the board switched out from a 6.4 to 6.0, then I was thinking about the dash boss. Any other recommendations?
Old 05-30-2014, 09:44 AM

History

Diesel History, #1 03 Dodge 2500 by dlkj07 | Photobucket

Only had a chance to work for about an hour last night...got the dummy manifold installed and did some more prep work...

IPR Build Photos by dlkj07 | Photobucket
Old 06-05-2014, 09:30 PM

Question before I fire this up, I didn't fill the oil valley up with oil for the hpop. Is that ok? Will I hurt something if I try to start it without oil in there? Can I add oil to the filter if needed?

Thanks
Old 06-05-2014, 09:53 PM
Premium Member

It will just take more cranking before it will start, it has to build 500 psi before the injectors will fire. You will also have to add more oil, should take about 18 quarts.
WHAT HAPPENED likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to snafu! For This Useful Post:
dlkj (06-05-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.