I want 3 custom tunes and switch on the go, what are the choices?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2008, 05:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I want 3 custom tunes and switch on the go, what are the choices??

I am confused, i have read to much and retained very little. I think i have decieded that i want a programmer with 3 tunes, 1. economy, 2. light tow and 3. GO

I do not want to have to stop and get the programmer out and have to sit there and change parameter or go thru screens, i just want to hit a button.

And i want my tranny to live

Is that what the SCT Livewire does? Do i have to have custom tunes or do the stock canned tunes do that? What is the difference in CUSTOM and CANNED tunes?

I do not have guages yet, do some controllers have them already?

I am not going to dog my truck, but want to know that i could keep up if need be.

I have a Bully Dog PUP that cost me 25 bucks, am i going to see and feel 600 or more dollars in difference or should i just get a set of guages and call it a day with what i already have? Can i add a OUTLOOK monitor for my guages? Are outlook monitors vehicle specific?

I know this is a lot of questions but i am a lost soul right now. I do not want to spend more money than i need to. I still need to get my tires also.

A big thanks to anyone that answers these questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to zippy557
Well the best thing you can get for the 6.0 is the SCT X3 which is not change on the fly, you have to stop and load your tunes. But with the X3 you get 3 custom tunes, these tunes are specific to your truck and your trans also. The canned tunes are just generic, def. not as good as custom. You will see a huge difference with the custom tunes on an extreme tune from ID ... plus you will save your tranny. You should get gauges to watch your EGTs at least
Old 12-21-2008, 05:31 PM

Once i sort this out, i will add guages or monitor or what ever. There are too many choices for guages out there also.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Your not going to find anything good that has "on the fly" capability. Everyone is going to tell you to get the SCT x3 custom tunes, including me. Its the best way to go.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:36 PM

what zippy said is what i would do also. its the best out there for the 6.0's and you wont need to switch on the fly cause once you put it on your favorite tune (highest setting) you wouldnt want any other unless your towing. it only takes about 5 minutes to switch between tunes. no matter if you dog your truck or not, you get the most out of the extreme street tune or extreme race and the best mpg's too. if you dont wanna do gauge pods than yes you can use a seperate monitor. i use to use the edge monitor with the sct custom tunes on my old truck.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:44 PM

How long does it take to change programs with a sct?
Old 12-21-2008, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

Like 5 minutes and your probably going to leave it in the fastest tune unless your towing
Old 12-22-2008, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mins View Post

I do not want to have to stop and get the programmer out and have to sit there and change parameter or go thru screens, i just want to hit a button.
That's really want your going to have to do if your wanting to do it right. It isn't that much of an inconvience. Once the novelty of shift on the fly wears off, there really isn't that much of a positive thing about it. This is coming from someone that had the Triple Dog downloader before switching to SCT and now to the Spartan Phalanx.

Quote:
And i want my tranny to live
I do not know of a way that you can have shift on the fly programming and be able to have a tranny that survives it all. To my knowledge there is no way that it can work from an engineering standpoint.

Quote:
Is that what the SCT Livewire does? Do i have to have custom tunes or do the stock canned tunes do that? What is the difference in CUSTOM and CANNED tunes?
Don't do livewire, too many bad things about it versus good. I wouldn't take the chance.

Quote:
I am not going to dog my truck, but want to know that i could keep up if need be.
That's what we all start out saying.

Quote:
I have a Bully Dog PUP that cost me 25 bucks, am i going to see and feel 600 or more dollars in difference or should i just get a set of guages and call it a day with what i already have?
Oh it will put out power(atleast it did for me), but you run the risk of causing more then 600 worth of damage to your truck.

Quote:
Can i add a OUTLOOK monitor for my guages? Are outlook monitors vehicle specific?
You can add the outlook monitor, however, you will only be able to use bullydog stuff with that monitor depending on the firmware that is on the outlook. If the outlook that you have has the tranny temp gauge(which is something your going to want if you have an auto) then it will only work on bullydog products for the 6.0. When they added the memory for the tranny temp gauge, they took out the "outlook w/other" option on the menu screen.

Quote:
I know this is a lot of questions but i am a lost soul right now. I do not want to spend more money than i need to. I still need to get my tires also.
I'm going to be honest here, and more then likely this part of my post won't be liked, but I get the sense that you are very budget concerned(nothing wrong with that), but you are venturing down a path that isn't really for the budget minded. I speak(and probably a good few others do as well) from dealing with the issues of just adding a tuner. You don't want to do this on the cheap. You can get lucky and not have any issues with going cheap, but you run a bigger risk too. There are alot of unforeseen incidents that can happen that have happened.

If your just using this vehicle for fun that's one thing, but if you still need it to be there for you don't do it on the cheap. You might get lucky and play all day long and nothing happen, but then again you just never know. I know it's not the fun way, but sometimes you just have to evaluate rather or not stock really is sufficient for you and for whatever reason it's not, be prepared to shell out some bucks. I know this truck has cost me more then I ever dreamed of not only in modifications but in repair bills as well(which I had to foot every one of those bills and I'm about to do a tranny rebuild as we speak, just waiting on the kit to get here) and all this started with was a tuner.

Just thought I would add a different perspective on this as some people just get carried away with the fun aspect and forget about running the risk of paying the piper later on.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:18 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
how many threads are needed to find what you're looking for..
Old 12-22-2008, 12:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
their is no on the fly tuner that is good for a 6.0L... like everyone else has said... if you want to do it right get the SCT X3 with custom tunes and a set of gauges...

look i have made it easy... i have a custom tuned X3 and gauge combo: SCT X3 Custom Innovative Diesel Tunning/ Gauge Combo Kit

you get everything you need right their....if you want the fastest tune upgrade it to an extreme tune upgrade.... that custom tunes is night and day diff over your BD...

let me know if you have any questions

-Raul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.