Looking for a programer for my '06 6.0L - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2008, 11:55 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking for a programer for my '06 6.0L

I am looking for a programer for my '06 6L. I have seen a lot on here about the SCT tuners. I am not experienced with a diesel or programmers. I have a 4" lift on my truck with 35" tires and 4" exhaust with no cat converter but I still have a muffler. I carry about 1000lbs in the box on a regular basis.
Is there a specific tune I should get using a SCT programmer, or would I be fine with one of the other major flash packs out there.
I have talked to a couple of people I know that run the same engine as me, and one runs a Superchip, and the other Bully Dog.
If you try to research on each of the manufactures websites, they all look good. I am hoping that someone on here has tried different programmers and know which one my truck will like more.
Price matters, as well as the life of my truck.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2008, 12:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Go with sct for the 6.0, i'd say one of the best from personal experience. Def go with custom tunes though.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to Baller1771
The SCT is the best choice because it tunes your trans as well as your engine so that they worked together where as the bully dog and other plug and play chips do not. another reason the SCT is the best is because it can use custom tunes created by guys that know what there doing such as Eric from Innovativediesel.com. Tell Eric about what your tow and what you want to do and he will write a tune thats perfect for you. PM me if you have any more ?'s
Old 12-21-2008, 12:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
SCT with custom tunes in the only way to go on a 6.0L.... you will also need a set of gauges as well...

here is our combo kit: SCT X3 Custom Innovative Diesel Tunning/ Gauge Combo Kit

let me know if you have any questions

-Raul
Old 12-21-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mikkelsen View Post
Is there a specific tune I should get using a SCT programmer, or would I be fine with one of the other major flash packs out there.
Getting a specific tune would depend on how you want to use your truck. I have had about 8 tunes during the height of my SCT usage. It really depends on if your a conservative driver or an aggressive driver. Tow'er, daily driver, sled puller, or concerned with squeezing out as many mpgs as you can get.

Quote:
I have talked to a couple of people I know that run the same engine as me, and one runs a Superchip, and the other Bully Dog.
If you try to research on each of the manufactures websites, they all look good.
I have used Bullydog before they came out with the PMT. I have no complaints as I it didn't cause anything to break while I had it, the shifting was alright for me(some of had issues with it), and it definately made power. When I got the SCT is was worlds apart and worth getting, however, I had to get it more out of need as I had got bigger injectors and then a bigger turbo, so I had to go custom to compensate for those. I would suggest starting with the SCT if your wanting to get something now. I am beta testing Spartan's new tuner for the 6.0 and if you read the 6.4 forum you'll see more people going to his stuff for that engine, what I'm testing now blows SCT away, however, it won't be available til later on(the rest of the beta testers will hopefully get their stuff in first of the year).

Bottom line go with SCT if your wanting something right now.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to troid123
SCT w/ custom tunes, the best!!! You will also to be able to smoke your buddies any day with these tunes compared to their superchips/bully dog
Old 12-21-2008, 03:39 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to zippy557
+1 SCT with custom tunes, can't beat it
Old 12-21-2008, 03:46 PM

yep sct with innovatives custom tunes is the only one. also deal with raul@stealthautomotive with this. hes a great guy/vendor to deal with.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:31 PM

Thanks. If I buy a SCT tuner, do they come with a tune alerady loaded for my truck, or do I then have to get a tune loaded before I can run it. If they do come with a pre-loaded tune...is it safe to run? Or should I just go with a custom tune?
Old 12-21-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks. If I buy a SCT tuner, do they come with a tune alerady loaded for my truck, or do I then have to get a tune loaded before I can run it. If they do come with a pre-loaded tune...is it safe to run? Or should I just go with a custom tune?

Some come pre-loaded, some do not. You can convert those that did come pre-loaded to run custom tunes later on. In my opinion, I would go with custom right off the bat. It comes down to do you want "one size fits all" or do you want something that fits you specifically. I personally would go with one designed specifically for me, but to each their own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.