Detroit Locker or Other??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2008, 10:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Detroit Locker or Other???

I'm installing lower gears in my truck next week, '03 F250 6.0L 4x4. I finally made up my mind to spend the money on a better differential. I have the factory Limited Grip right now and I can break it loose by hand when the truck is jacked up...

I'm leaning to the Detroit Locker right now for its strength and simplicity. I've heard the True Trac can fail under the stress of a built diesel and big tires. I'm about 400 rwhp right now and running 35s and will probably get 37s next.

My truck is a daily driver, occasional highway trips between home and school. I take it hunting and offroad it occasionally and line up with a ricer when they need to be taught a lesson. Please let me know your thoughts on why or why not to go with the Locker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2008, 09:13 AM

I'm starting to shy away from a Locker. How about between the True Trac and the Auburn Limited Slip? Which one is stronger and which one is better at keeping me from leaving one black strip on the ground?
Old 12-17-2008, 09:16 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I heard nothing but awesome things about the true trac. thats what I plan on running in my rig eventually.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:32 AM

A detroit locker is not street friendly. You will wear out your expensive tires fast and it will put a greater strain on your rearend especially on asphalt. The detroit will lock the diff permanently and is great for offroad driving, but if you drive mostly on the street and would like a locker I would go with an ARB which you can switch off and on as you wish. They are a little more expensive though and you will need to buy the compressor as well. I hear good things about the OX locker too which is turned on or off mechanically as opposed to air with the ARB. Not sure if they make them for your rearend either. I run a detroit in the rear of my 71' bronco and it works great offroad. I eventually want to get an OX for the front.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99' Powerstroke View Post
A detroit locker is not street friendly. You will wear out your expensive tires fast and it will put a greater strain on your rearend especially on asphalt. The detroit will lock the diff permanently and is great for offroad driving, but if you drive mostly on the street and would like a locker I would go with an ARB which you can switch off and on as you wish. They are a little more expensive though and you will need to buy the compressor as well. I hear good things about the OX locker too which is turned on or off mechanically as opposed to air with the ARB. Not sure if they make them for your rearend either. I run a detroit in the rear of my 71' bronco and it works great offroad. I eventually want to get an OX for the front.
i have a detroit in mine and it is fine on the street. driving with the detroit in a bronco is totally diff than having in a superduty and i know cause i have 2 broncos which both have detroits in them, and the supeduty drives a lot differant than the bronco. with the superduty the detoit is a lot smother and you dont notice it as much as you would in a bronco. but if you do decide to not go with the detroit than the tru trac is a awesome unit and will last. forever.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:25 AM

What kind of offroading do you do with your superduty? How well does it turn with that detroit in the front?
Old 12-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
i would go with a detroit locker if you dont get a lot of snow... if you do then a tru trac... i have sold alot of tru tracs and have had nothing but great reviews with them....

-Raul
Old 12-17-2008, 01:28 PM

We get snow and ice here every winter, another reason I went with the TrueTrac. Ordered it from Randy's Ring & Pinion for $560 with free shipping. They're in Washington, so its just 1-2 days for UPS Ground to me in Oregon.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:22 PM

I'm not familiar with the true trac. Is it more like a limited slip?
Old 12-18-2008, 10:07 AM

yea its a limited slip that uses springs and never wears out like the stock limiter slip. granny did a review not to long ago. it showed her nice dual tire burnout
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.