WW2 learning curve on stock turbo? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 10:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
WW2 learning curve on stock turbo?

ok I had a friend that installed a WW2 on a stock 05-07 turbo. After that he had max boost issue being that they where low. No leaks on the exhaust side on intake side. But after a period of time his boost came back. Now fast forward. I rebuild my stock turbo and installed a WW2 in it. Since it got into the 30s today I went out and swapped the powermax out for the stocker WW2 combo. I see the same thing on my 04 turbo as his 05-07. It's not a exhaust leak, and I know it's not a intake side leak either. Boost vs MAF look about right and bottom end and crusing is good. I even swapped out the VGT solenoids and same thing. I see about 22-23 until it the converter locks then I see 25-26 for a second or two. If I went back to the Powermax or the stock compressor wheel I would be fine again. Since this is the second turbo that has done this I'm pretty sure it has to do with the wheel. I just wanted to throw some feelers out there for those that have used these before because it's about to become a desk paper weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2014, 11:52 AM

When I had my WW2 on my 05 I saw lower boost pressure my it had a bit more power. Got a little better mpg's spooled a little quicker seemed more efficient I guess. I think about 26 or so was about the most boost I saw with stock gage

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-01-2014, 11:59 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast6.0 View Post
When I had my WW2 on my 05 I saw lower boost pressure my it had a bit more power. Got a little better mpg's spooled a little quicker seemed more efficient I guess. I think about 26 or so was about the most boost I saw with stock gage

That's about what I'm seeing with the same turbo Erick had on his truck. About 25-26 max.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:07 PM
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast6.0 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
That's about what I'm seeing with the same turbo Erick had on his truck. About 25-26 max.
Yeah, I'm seeing the same numbers.

I'm not sure the WW2 is supposed to increase boost psi, but rather increase the density of the air and do it in a quicker way, decreasing spool-up time...
Old 03-01-2014, 12:46 PM

Ok, so I'm not the only one. Well I need to run some more test and maybe even go back to the cast wheel or a KTS wheel. I'm not concerned about boost because so many things affect it and a crappy running truck can have high boost. What I am concerned about is MAF numbers. on a side note a stock turbo with a WW2 so far is flowing around 400-420 g/s MAF and the powermax with SP billet flowed 460 g/s + MAF. Also I'm not sure spool up is much quicker than the powermax billet combo. Anyways off for more testing.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:40 PM

I rolled back to stock tonight and my emissions still function. I'll be getting some MAF readings to check again cast wheel MAF readings.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:55 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Ever wonder what the PCM does?? Using all the sensors it makes adjustments. Watch VGT% and note the differences.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
Ever wonder what the PCM does?? Using all the sensors it makes adjustments. Watch VGT% and note the differences.
I'm not sure how to take this.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:41 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Just another suggestion for answering your question. Everyone forgets these trucks are controlled by a computer. Consider the changes you made. Why is it you only look at boost PSI?? There are several sensors the PCM uses and will makes changes. Just cause truck X made 30 PSI boost, doesn't mean truck Y will do the exact same thing.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:02 PM

Wow talk about arrogance. Well considering I've used all the strategy's cyh0-7 on my truck, I've used three difference wheels in the powermax, and now two in the stocker. I've data logged difference in air intakes, intercoolers and other part changes I'm pretty sure I know how and what the ECM does or doesn't do. I'm also versed depending on which strategy I run how long the learning curve is on the ECM or TCM. I also know boost is a piss poor measure of air flow given everything that affects boost. heck I've even programmed the Accell DFI system on my old Vortech XX mondo supercharged 93 mustang back in the day. This thread was basically a feeler to see if others where seeing the same thing that's it nothing more. But hey thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.