6.4 ported intake - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By windrunner408
  • 1 Post By WLDHRSE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 02:31 PM
...swamp trash...

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
6.4 ported intake

Any advantages to the 6.4 ported intake over the 6.0? What exactly has to be done to make it work on the 6.0? I see from the pictures of the ones posted that others have put on the 6.0 and you definetly have to fab an alternator bracket. Are the gains worth it though over the 6.0 though, does it flow better. I may be able to pic one up on the cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2014, 03:18 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have looked at this quite a bit (as I've built a couple 6.4 manifolds to run on 6.0s) and I use to think that a fully ported 6.4 manifold would be a WAY better manifold than a fully ported 6.0 manifold. I thought this because of how the elbow/mouth of the manifold is angled more towards the back of the runners but after doing some more playing around with a 6.0 manifold, I now see VERY LITTLE performance benefits (if any at all) to running a 6.4 manifold over a 6.0 manifold that I port. The ONLY benefit I see (and this is why I'll be running one on my truck) is that the 6.4 manifold is a shorter runner height manifold than the 6.0 and due to the runner shapes, it should open up the valley of the motor more for someone looking to stuff two turbos in the valley of a 6.0.
JUGERNAUT likes this.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:58 AM
...swamp trash...

Thanks Nate, probably not worth the effort for minimal if no gain then. Not for the setup I plan on running anyways with a "stage 2" ( very broad term) style turbo with a 64.7 compressor. I do think it provides a cleaner look, at least with the ones I have seen of yours (Bryan's).
Old 02-28-2014, 11:45 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm in the process of porting a 6.0 intake now that will go on my truck. Then I'll be porting one to go on Dale's truck so he can compare it to the 6.4 (not ported) intake he's running now. I don't think to many people are porting the 6.4 intakes when they use them because they are said to outflow a ported 6.0 intake in stock form. I don't know about that though.
JUGERNAUT likes this.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:20 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
I have looked at this quite a bit (as I've built a couple 6.4 manifolds to run on 6.0s) and I use to think that a fully ported 6.4 manifold would be a WAY better manifold than a fully ported 6.0 manifold. I thought this because of how the elbow/mouth of the manifold is angled more towards the back of the runners but after doing some more playing around with a 6.0 manifold, I now see VERY LITTLE performance benefits (if any at all) to running a 6.4 manifold over a 6.0 manifold that I port. The ONLY benefit I see (and this is why I'll be running one on my truck) is that the 6.4 manifold is a shorter runner height manifold than the 6.0 and due to the runner shapes, it should open up the valley of the motor more for someone looking to stuff two turbos in the valley of a 6.0.
100% correct Nate and this is the reason I run mine. There is one more reason im running mine is that the 6.4l manifold has less volume and this means faster boost pressures sooner. I will be running this in conjunction with the 6.7l cac and that has less volume so spool time "or should I say fill time" will decrease there and I think boost will build a lot faster. These are experiments so who knows. If you want to check volume fill it with water and poor that out in a bucket do the same with the other manifold I found a ported 6.0l holds much more water like 2 inches worth in a 5 gallon bucket. But like Nate said the 6.4l is smooth flowing with no egr stuff and changing a oil cooler is a breeze with a 6.4l intake. This is why I didn't buy a remote oil cooler.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:01 PM
...swamp trash...

So with less volume and smoother flow, would you compare it to the venturi effect like on a carburetor? Where pushing air at a certain speed through a choke point would accelerate the flow on the other side. If it spools quicker, gives a cleaner look and makes changing oil coolers a breeze I may give this more thought. I don't have big power plans just a clean driving fun DD. Being easier to work on is a plus.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:39 PM
Premium Member

All we need now is someone with assume TIG skills to fab up a tubular stainless steel intake manifold all polished up to a mirror finish.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.