Cleaned EBP Sensor, now problems :( help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2014, 07:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cleaned EBP Sensor, now problems :( help

Hey Guys,

I decided to clean my ebp sensor and tube yesterday as it's never been cleaned or replaced since I've had the truck (7 years). Lots of gunk and soot came out. I decided to do it as proactive maintenance, and I was not having any problems with the truck. Guess I needed a project

I have been running VXCF4 strategy on my sct custom tunes and I believe it utilizes the ebp sensor so I figured it was something that should be done at some point.

I put everything back together perfectly and even threw in a new OEM blue air filter. When I started the truck there were no CEL and I immediately noticed a much deeper exhaust tone. I glanced down at my scangauge II and my VGT numbers shows 14 at idle. I drove it around and it had power but couldn't even hit 25lbs of boost at WOT. The VGT number increased when driving but was back to 14 when idling or coasting.

I figured I ruined the ebp sensor when I cleaned it, so I went to ford and picked up a new one, came home took everything back apart and when I pulled out of the new ebp sensor out of the package the threading was much smaller and too small to screw into the nut/ebp sensor tube.

At this point I had a hellava burn going.....so I decided to tune the truck with a tune off VXCF9 that is inferred (not using the ebp sensor) and it seems to
run good except now my boost is way to high, hit 34 and 35 (pegged my gauge) several times at full throttle. Also, my VGT numbers shows 41 at idle now not 14 like on the vxcf4 tunes.

I have never seen this high boost since I've owned the truck and don't think it's normal, so now I'm worried about overboosting. I got on it on the freeway tonight and it jumped up and bounced off 35lbs then started coming down then shifted and slammed back to 34-35lbs.

So before I take it to ford dealer, anyone have any ideas on my issue or have experienced this?

I also tried several other tunes on both strategy and both exhibit the same problem based on their strategy:

vxcf4 tunes= low boost, 14 VGT at idle, noticeable deeper exhaust tone (now due to possible bad sensor sending low vane position)

vxcf9 tunes & stock calibration = Really high Boost 32-35 at WOT, runs good other than that.

On a side note, I flashed back to completely stock on my sct tuner calibration (vxcf9) and hit 32lbs of boost on stock programming!!! This is what is really leads me to believe something aint right

Could unplugging and cleaning out the ebp sensor and tube cause more flow or something that would increase my boost even on vxcf9 without using ebp sensor?

Before I cleaned and possibly ruined the ebp sensor, when tuned on either strategy on any of the tunes I have, I would normally see 28-31lbs absolute max. I checked all my connections, everything is good, I'm really stumped on what the problem is.

Heres the difference in the two sensors: dealer said this was the one for my 2005 truck.

Thanks for any help, my truck information is in my sig,

Last edited by ebusa; 02-24-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2014, 07:45 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It very well could be that you damaged the pigtail/wire harness while doing this. During my testing with tunes that utilized the ebp sensor... the truck would not run right if it was unplugged. Some tunes would not spool at all, while other would overboost the turbo like crazy. Very similar to what you are experiencing.

It should be pretty simple to see if it is the pigtail and/or if the sensor is bad. The first would be to use you monitor and drive around the truck. Make sure the ebp sensor is fluctuating relative to your driving style (low at idle, high at WOT). If the numbers are fluctuating properly then it is probably something else. If the number is stuck and does not move then it is probably the sensor and/or the pigtail.

Hope that helps
The Following User Says Thank You to peixinho For This Useful Post:
ebusa (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 08:31 PM
Premium Member

He gave you the 03/04 EBP sensor - dummy should have known better!

The 14% isn't normal for the VXCF4. Usually this happens when it is frozen, a bad value is being sent (unit or wire but not disconnected (code), it is recalibrating, or a bad flash. In my case it was just because; I couldn't find a reason for the behaviour and I could select it with my AE to any desired position. Mine only did this for a few hours, intermittently, when I removed my solenoid for the KC 68 installation. It didn't do it for my stage 1, when I cleaned my turbo, nor when I took the KC 68 off for an internal inspection. There is no turbo relearn for this MY, but you may find that stopping and restarting the vehicle may help the recalibration when it moves toward and stays at 14%. However, as Charlie said, try using some contact cleaner and give the wires and plug a good inspection.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peixinho View Post
It very well could be that you damaged the pigtail/wire harness while doing this. During my testing with tunes that utilized the ebp sensor... the truck would not run right if it was unplugged. Some tunes would not spool at all, while other would overboost the turbo like crazy. Very similar to what you are experiencing.

It should be pretty simple to see if it is the pigtail and/or if the sensor is bad. The first would be to use you monitor and drive around the truck. Make sure the ebp sensor is fluctuating relative to your driving style (low at idle, high at WOT). If the numbers are fluctuating properly then it is probably something else. If the number is stuck and does not move then it is probably the sensor and/or the pigtail.

Hope that helps
Thanks for the reply and info!

I just took a closer look at the pigtail and do see that one wire is chaffed enough that I can see bare wire.

Im going to get a new ICP pigtail (read that will work) install it and test with my existing ebp sensor. If i need to get a new ebp sensor i may have to get the newer style like shown in the pic and a new ebp tube/nut that will work with it.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:37 AM
Premium Member

Question , how does the system know you have had the vgt solenoid disconnected .
The repairs etc are performed with the key off (powered down ). Is there a mechanical
range that it settles into once installed and ran for awhile , that is disturbed once removed ?
Old 02-25-2014, 05:54 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Question , how does the system know you have had the vgt solenoid disconnected. The repairs etc are performed with the key off (powered down ). Is there a mechanical range that it settles into once installed and ran for awhile , that is disturbed once removed ?
It doesn't, until it senses a change of what it needs to do now as opposed to what it did previously. Even the rate of signal change can cause the computer to change how it operates until it is happy. This may be exacerbated by having the batteries disconnected for an hour or 2 and if the KAM is wiped.

What the OP is seeing is often seen when there is a leak or blockage of the EBP, or boost error throwing off the system. It could even be related to APS, MAF or even sticky or slow moving vanes. Until a trigger point to set a code is hit, usually only good observation will find the issue.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:58 AM
Premium Member

I cleaned my ebp and it went out soon after..
My early 05 has the 1/8 npt ebp by the thermostat housing. The later 05 have the 5/16 flare and sits under the deg as bottle..

Last edited by bondajb; 02-25-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:27 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I installed a new pigtail and ebp senson today and that fixed my issues.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:34 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Glad you got it all figured out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.