FTE 4"x30" Resonator/Muffler - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 08:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FTE 4"x30" Resonator/Muffler

After reading in great length about exhaust drone/moan i recently installed a FTE 4" x 30"" resonator/muffler on my 2003 6 liter. The feedback i have read all over the internet was unbelievable. My problem is i installed it and if anything it seemed like it amplified the drone noise. I installed it as far forward as possible like i have read to do. I double checked that my exhaust was not rubbing anywhere and all of my hangers are good. I actually found one place it was rubbing on a cross member and i fixed that. I emailed the place i purchased it and their only suggestion was to reverse the resonator and that may help????????? There is no arrow or direction saying which way it is supposed to be installed so i can't see how that would help. Any help on this would be much appreciated. The drone is driving me nuts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 08:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I installed a 30" FTE resonator along with my MagnaFlo muffler and it helped. It eliminated about 80% of the drone. I removed the MagnaFlo muffler and installed a second 30" FTE resonator and couldn't be happier.

Check to make sure your exhaust hangers are not hitting the frame or anything else. I had to cut two hangers off my Excursion because it was hitting the frame. I still have three hangers.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:28 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
I have the 18" resonator and I have zero drone but I don't have an after market exhaust just a straight pipe. It sounds amazing completely different then the straight pipe. idk why yours has the drone noise? Are you talking about idling or driving?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-24-2014, 01:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have 4" straight pipe. The only thing i added is the FTE 30" resonator. I did check all of my exhaust hangers and none of them are touching. Don't get me wrong i am in no way bashing the FTE resonator it's just i am frustrated with all the positive feedback that i read i guess i expected it to at least help my drone at least some. I have heard other guys putting 2 of the 30" resonators in their exhaust but i can't imagine that would help mine if 1 didn't cut the drone at all.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:49 AM
Serving Our Country!

Fwiw, I don't think that turning the resonator over will help. Can you call someone from fte to see if they can help, maybe you got a bad part? Idk mine is tuned and I have a modified turbo with no drone. I only have the 18" not the 30". When you say drone you are talking about like a deep howl not the whistle of the turbo, just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing is all.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes its definitely the drone. Having an 03' i also have a really loud turbo whistle as well(i mean really loud). The resonator didn't get rid of any of the turbo whistle either but i didn't really expect it to. I was mainly looking to curb some of the drone noise. I haven't contacted FTE yet but i guess that should be my next step to see if they can help me at all. Thanks for the input!
Old 02-24-2014, 06:44 PM
Serving Our Country!

Cool man, good luck hopefully you can get it figured out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.