Fuel System Question!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By onebadcoastie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 10:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel System Question!!!

Hey guys, I have a couple of quick questions.

My pump is starting to get a little weak (used to run at 61psi and is now idling around 57psi with a substantial drop at WOT). I've pretty much decided that I'm going to upgrade to an AD2 with the XDP or Helman Fuel Sump. I'm pretty clear on the installation of the sump; however, have some questions about AD2. For some reason I can't find a YouTube video of a full 6.0 install.

So... will the AD2 lines included in the kit marry up to the XDP or Helman sump? Also, do I need to change anything with the return or can I just use it as normal with my AD2. I still have stock injectors so I know the RR isn't needed, yet. I just want to make sure I can hook the AD2 right up as usual and roll with the blue spring I previously installed!

Also--what does everyone do with the stock pickup once they install a sump? Are you blocking it off with a rubber grommet or something? I can't find anything on this subject. Last question-- what is the average install time for the AD2 on a 6.0? Thanks in advance, I appreciate all of the insight!

Last edited by UMfan11244; 02-23-2014 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Repetitive Wording
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 11:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

UMfan, you should do some searching about the ad2, the consensus around here is they're garbage. Most people agree the stock pump is compatible with injectors up to 190. You can run the air dog 150 as a lift pump feeding a good stocker and have all the fuel and filtration you need, the fass lift pump is good also. The guys at Strictly diesel have a good handle on these fuel systems and are very helpful. I'm going to go the 6.4 lift pump feeding the stock pump with a sump, there's a good write up here on the forum, inexpensive also. I wish I was better with forum technique and could post the links but I'm not that savvy yet, easy to find with a little searching though.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:18 AM
Serving Our Country!

Stay far far away from AD2. Just google "AD2 reviews" or AD 165 reviews"...
JGman141 and Heavy_GD like this.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Slvrbullet, thanks for the info, I've read that thread actually.

Shack, what would you recommend. I keep hearing that every system has significant downsides. If I stick with stock injectors and the SRL+ tune I'll still need some type of pusher won't I? I also really want to switch to a sump system just to avoid the 1/4 tank or less problem and the crappy stock pickup. Let me know what you think.

Thanks.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

What I'm planing to do is the Fass sump and draw straw setup, then you get the advantage of a sump without a fuel line hanging below the tank. Use this to feed a 6.4 lift pump, oem quality easy to find. All this feeding a stock fuel pump.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:00 PM
Serving Our Country!

Build your own system. Get a fuelab 41401/41402 pump or an Aeromotive 1000. Get your own filters and piece them together with a good regulated return. Or you can get the 6.4 pump and use it as a lift pump to feed the 6.0 pump and be done with it. There are a ton of options. The AD150 is designed as a low pressure lift pump and that would work along with the 6.0 pump but the AD165 is just a poorly designed high pressure pump with a significantly high failure rate and poor customer service.

6.4 pump install write-up!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.