Which programmer and why? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2014, 06:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Which programmer and why?

1st I am new to the site and to powerstroke in general drive a duramax for work and hate it (in and out of the shop) and thank you for the input.....

I have a 04 F-250 with just a straight pipe... bone stock with 140 k other than that.... but have the solutions kit ordered. Have no problems at the moment but preparing myself.

I am looking to get a programmer but can't decide on what one to get .. looking at the 1) evolution 2.....2) juice w/ attitude. ....3) Sct livewire ts. ....... would like some input on which one is better and why
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014, 07:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
There are a LOT more tuning options with the SCT X3 or Livewire. With the Evo or juice you're stuck with what they send you.
The Following User Says Thank You to npccpartsman For This Useful Post:
SgtCoalRollingChicken (02-18-2014)
Old 02-18-2014, 07:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

my vote is SCT. the edge doesn't tune the transmission and can be traced to several tranny failures if you don't let it do a complete re-learn after you change the tune.
The Following User Says Thank You to Teachagmech For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2014, 09:18 AM

i have the sct livewire and it is great on fuel and performance it comes with 3 tunes how ever if you choose to buy custom tunes you have in addition to the sct tunes load up to 6 more customs tunes on the livewire. you can also tune the tranny and choose your tire size so your spedo is not wrong. i also like that im able to read engine code and if i choose to delete them or choose the option of selecting that i have an egr delete so that i will never throw a code for that..and on the livewires top tune i averaged 19.5 mpg going 80 all freeway which was better that more of my custom tunes
The Following User Says Thank You to 06-350 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2014, 09:20 AM

i also forgot to say i have tried the banks iq as well and think the sct live wire is far superior not only because its 500 vs 1200 dollars but the better fuel economy, and performance not to mention allot of other things this sct is capable of that the banks couldn't do
Old 02-18-2014, 12:38 PM
smoke=cool=little kid

#3)SCT, no questions asked, hands down
Simply put, an SCT can have many variations of tune custom written to your liking via a tune writer, where there are ALOT of very good tune writers, gear head, idp, php, tsd... etc, an they will revision the tunes/transmission tunes to your preference. Also the SCT is cheaper, an has the best updates an will properly function with your truck.

Whereas let's say another "programmer" will destroy your trans over a period of time, also the other tunes just add timing an small tuning so it smokes an doesn't make much power. Idk if your screen name pertains to actions you like partaking in, but SCT tunes don't smoke that much an custom SCT tunes hardly smoke at all.

So, fwiw(for what its worth) I'd go all in with the live wire, its on the cheaper end, has a lot of monitoring pids, has a lot of storage for custom tunes, greats trans adjustments, amazing power. An you will enjoy their customer support if the need ever arises, which is not so often.
The Following User Says Thank You to SCjake For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2014, 12:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info o believe I will be going with the livewire. ........ and the name .. Sgt = in the army ...... rolling coal = I don't know my nephew thought it was cool .... and Chicken = nickname since forever ( hair flips up like chicken little) .... when I get custom tune will it also come with the trans tune or is that separate?
SCjake likes this.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:51 PM
Premium Member

Go with sct. Other tunes may be well and good and make power, but if they don't tune the trans, you have a ticking time bomb mounted between ur engine and transfer case lol. The livewire is a really nice unit so is the x3. I'm running an sct x3. When you buy tunes, they will be emailed to you. You load the sct software onto ur computer and it will let you put the tunes onto ur sct unit via a usb cable. Then you take ur sct and plug it into the truck, and it will program it. Engine and tranny tunes come together. When I tune my truck, the tuner saves ur stock file from the trucks computer onto the tuner, then it writes the engine computer tune, immediately followed by the tranny tune. Its one after the other and it does it by itself once you press the start button.

Andy
Old 02-18-2014, 06:07 PM
Premium Member

When u buy tunes they usually come in multiples. For instance, when I bought mine it came with 3. One for towing, one for street driving, and a full fuel race tune.

You can also order individual ones too. For instance, if you run nitrous, you can get a tune that's optimized for that.

Most tuners will send you a form to fill out listing the different modifications you have in order for them to take all of them into consideration when writing the programs.

I got mine from matt at gearheads performance.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:08 PM
Premium Member

If you are also looking for a monitoring solution, you absolutely can't go wrong with an edge insight, that's what I'm running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.