Straight pipe whine - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 10:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Straight pipe whine

So I have an 07 6.0 with SCT IDP tune that I've just straight piped and I've noticed a bit of a whine at certain loads/RPM's (not talking about the whistle) is this common and to be expected? Anyone else experiencing this whine?
Thanks in advance!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2014, 11:21 AM
I Like Shiny Things :)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If you did a full turbo-back, check for any leaks that may have happened while installing the kit. Downpipe and bellows (I know you probably didn't touch them but moving stuff around sometimes will cause a crack) or any other exhaust joints
Old 02-16-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk285 View Post
If you did a full turbo-back, check for any leaks that may have happened while installing the kit. Downpipe and bellows (I know you probably didn't touch them but moving stuff around sometimes will cause a crack) or any other exhaust joints

I Put a gutted cat on this thing a year ago and it had a whine so I put the good cat back on and the whine Went away now I have put another gutted cat with a pipe through the center and I've got the wine back but it's not as dramatic, But still a little on the annoying side. Does everyone that is straight piped have this whine or is it just me? The whine is heard usually at gradual acceleration

Old 02-16-2014, 10:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've got a humm/rumble like a freight train passing by from a distance under normal cruising speed load, around 2k rpm. But no whine. Yours sounds like an air leak or a turbo issue. Straight pipes take away the 'quiet' from the turbo so you can tend to hear everything going on with it. a nicked turbo blade or sticking guide vanes might cause a whine.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:17 PM

Straight pipe whine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodywerks0660 View Post
I've got a humm/rumble like a freight train passing by from a distance under normal cruising speed load, around 2k rpm. But no whine. Yours sounds like an air leak or a turbo issue. Straight pipes take away the 'quiet' from the turbo so you can tend to hear everything going on with it. a nicked turbo blade or sticking guide vanes might cause a whine.

Yeah, it's not a very high-pitched whine and all more like A high-pitched hum almost sounds like a whining rear end. So maybe the cat drowns that sound out and that's why I'm not hearing it so much with a good cat on there? Really want to keep it straight piped because I love the sound but that hum I know it's not sticky veins in the turbo i've experienced that before

Old 02-16-2014, 11:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

yeah, if the whine you speak of seems to match the 'pitch' of the motor rpms vs the pitch of a turbo spinning at 30k rpm then I'd say the turbo is fine, and it's either the same noise I have that you have to just deal with(or put some sound-deadening material over the cat-delete pipe?), or maybe there's a part of the exhaust touching the chassis somewhere or putting an excessive tortional load on the isolation mounts to where they are transmitting vibrations to the chassis more.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
yeah, if the whine you speak of seems to match the 'pitch' of the motor rpms vs the pitch of a turbo spinning at 30k rpm then I'd say the turbo is fine, and it's either the same noise I have that you have to just deal with(or put some sound-deadening material over the cat-delete pipe?), or maybe there's a part of the exhaust touching the chassis somewhere or putting an excessive tortional load on the isolation mounts to where they are transmitting vibrations to the chassis more.

I'm going to try to make a video and post a link to it here in the next day or two so you all can hear it and tell me your opinions. Starting to think it's just the nature of the beast being straight piped in all

Old 02-16-2014, 11:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Probably so. Pulsating diesel cumbustion gasses flowing down a pipe with nothing to stop them will probable tend to resonate wit a good bit of authority.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:32 PM

Straight pipe whine

Quote:

Here you go tell me what you think
Hopefully you can hear it

http://youtu.be/WXclObyaXU4

Old 02-17-2014, 03:38 PM

Straight piped here, guess Ive never heard that noise. The pitch does sound rpm based. You sure your exhaust clamp on your turbo is secure? When I did mine I thought the clamp was back on correctly,after double checking it was a little ****ed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.