What are all the aftermarket head options with longer results? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2014, 06:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What are all the aftermarket head options with longer results?

Besides machining my current heads or replacing with OEM, what other options are out there that would be better? I saw threads for a few, but not seeing much feedback from folks that have pushed the new heads for a year or so...

I am digging in this spring/summer... At 157K, I may just start over with new heads and shorter push rods when I do gaskets and studs.

I am reading until my head spins about this project and dreading it more and more with all the HG re-failures I am reading about...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2014, 06:24 PM
I Like Shiny Things :)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Don't get too worried about the re-do's unless you're going for big power. A lot of the folks who've had them start leaking lately are over 600hp....yes there have been some in the 500 range too, but they're not as common. The most common reason they need to be re-done in the 500 and below HP range is that folks try to skimp out on the machining....yeah it's expensive, but not really when you're talking about the stud job overall.

Like anything on any forum, don't get too worried about all the negatives that you see.....for every person that's had something bad happen, probably 5 haven't had it happen....just food for thought.

Personally, if I ever have to cross that replacement head bridge, they will be new ones from Int'l and then machined flat (yep, have had quite a few come out of the box warped....and I'm not the only one....) and installed. I'd love to have some that are done by Jared (Gearhead on here), but shipping to/from the East coast would be a sum***** when we're talking about head-weight lol.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:28 PM

Good point. Luckily, I had TSD down here in SA,TX so I plan to have them take a look at the heads if I go that route. I think the pushrods are fairly cheap enough to add to the list to shorten them a tad...

I doubt I will ever swap my turbo unless it fails on me, same with injectors... I just want to be able to run tunes again! LOL
Old 02-14-2014, 07:19 PM

What's the deal with shortened push rods?
Old 02-14-2014, 07:39 PM
I Like Shiny Things :)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Ford superceded the pushrods for the 6.0 to the 6.4 rods. It makes them 13/64ths of an inch shorter, and IIRC, they're a lot better as far as the quality control goes for them all being the same length. This was to aid in piston to valve contact, since the stock 6.0 pushrods are the maximum length that the engine was designed to handle.....which is another reason why so many people have bent pushrod problems when doing HG jobs, even when doing it correctly.

The additional length is taken up by the lifters as they pump up, so the overall rocker geometry is the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.