Street Truck Build - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 01:20 PM
Real Men of Genius

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Street Truck Build

Alright, I need some advice. I'm looking at building my truck into a reliable and powerful build, it will never tow. I will hit the track eventually, but for the most part this truck will be doing dyno competitions. I'm not planning on building a monster engine that will win the dyno competitions, but I want something that's going to give the 6.0 props wherever I go.

The truck currently has:
ARP Studs
Machined and O'Ringed Heads
OEM Gaskets
S&B Intake
MBRP TB 5" Exhaust
MTW MadMax turbo - 11 blade turbine wheel
Beans Diesel Sump
GlowShift - Boost, Pyro, and Fuel Pressure
Edge Insight CTS

The truck is running Matt @ Gearhead's SRL+ as a daily driver, and is swapped over to the SRL Extreme for competitions. It also has the Hercules 100 FICM tune from Bill @ PHP.

This setup just put down over 500 on Dyno Proven's dyno.

The things that I know I need:
Injectors
Regulated Return
Ported Intake
Fuel System?
Traction Bars
Nitrous
DD Clutch

I've talked with Matt Wilbur about my build extensively. I had my mind set on 175/100 injectors from Warren, but now I'm hearing that my goal of 600+ fuel only, and 800 on nitrous isn't realistic with this setup. Seems the word on the threads are 3.6hp per cc - so if I want 800rwhp, then that's putting me at 225cc injectors. I'm not sure how accurate that math is, but that's what I'm getting.

One more thing, I don't want this to turn into a MTW bashing thread. I'm running his turbo, end of conversation. But I would like additional input on everything else. I've been out of the 6.0 performance world for quite some time, and things (obviously) change around here quite a bit. So... what're we thinking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2014, 02:21 PM
Making ported intakes

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'd say 190/75, ported intake, regulated return, open intake with an AFE filter, edit" saw you had an intake... and a built trans and some Gearhead tuning will be fun a reliable. As far as turbo I'm sure the Barder stage3 or the kc68 will be a positive addition due to a larger compressor wheel adding more air into the motor. Traction bars a must! Fuel system yes! Wanna keep them sticks healthy and no need for a dd when you get a trans

As far as the dyno, I'd take that with a grain of salt. No pun intended

Last edited by ODAWG714; 02-13-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:38 PM
Real Men of Genius

I'm confident that the dyno is accurate.

190s huh? I had always thought about 190s, how are they as far tune-ability? Detuning for daily driving use mainly. As far as a regulated return - I'm talking to an ORG member (we all love him) about one of his kits. How are the 6.4/6.7 fuel pumps holding up for the guys that were trying that swap going? If that doesn't work well, I'm assuming the AD150 and an A1000 like usual will be the fuel system of choice?

Traction bars... this should be fun. My truck isn't the normal wheelbase, how difficult is this going to be for me to find someone to make me some?

The trans is a ZF6, so I really just need a dual disc clutch for it. The rest of the transmission is pretty stout, from what I hear.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:43 PM
Premium Member

nate broke 600 on 190/100's and i dont think he had as many supporting mods as you do at the time he broke 600.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:45 PM
Making ported intakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Diesel View Post
I'm confident that the dyno is accurate.

190s huh? I had always thought about 190s, how are they as far tune-ability? Detuning for daily driving use mainly. As far as a regulated return - I'm talking to an ORG member (we all love him) about one of his kits. How are the 6.4/6.7 fuel pumps holding up for the guys that were trying that swap going? If that doesn't work well, I'm assuming the AD150 and an A1000 like usual will be the fuel system of choice?

Traction bars... this should be fun. My truck isn't the normal wheelbase, how difficult is this going to be for me to find someone to make me some?

The trans is a ZF6, so I really just need a dual disc clutch for it. The rest of the transmission is pretty stout, from what I hear.
I know one up offroads will work. Flight fab is another.
Me and a few members have been using an airdog150 feeding a stock pump with no issues. I hold 55 all day long. As far as tuning, most tuners tune for nozzles these days and there shouldn't be an issue
Old 02-13-2014, 02:47 PM
Real Men of Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTractorsSexy View Post
nate broke 600 on 190/100's and i dont think he had as many supporting mods as you do at the time he broke 600.
What supporting mods do I have, that Nate didn't have? I was hoping to be on/over 600 with 175s - is that not possible?
Old 02-13-2014, 02:50 PM
Making ported intakes

Quote:
What supporting mods do I have, that Nate didn't have? I was hoping to be on/over 600 with 175s - is that not possible?
It's possible, I didn't have a chance to back my 618 on 175s due to my trans but my 581 was backed at the track.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:54 PM
Premium Member

Quote:

i dont think he had the ported intake ( that you said youll be getting ) when he did it not all sure what he had honestly but it might be worth a pm. i know he broke 600 on 190s
Old 02-13-2014, 03:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
a low pressure FASS or a airdog150 feeding the stock pump will work. I ran my low pressure FASS feeding my stock pump with my 190/75's about 4-5 years ago and fuel pressure was fine. I've been running my low pressure FASS feeding a fuelab high pressure pump for about 5 years now...fuel pressure stays at 60psi.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:11 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Quote:

Hmm Chris, someone else talking 190s eh?? Seems like that number came up in our conversation today. The key (IMO) to getting the power potential
from these trucks is ICP and therefore injection pressure as it just really helps with the atomization burn efficiency of the fuel. Tuning of course plays a role in this as well.

You are in a tough spot. I don't see your turbo (NOT BASHING HERE) being what you want for the power numbers you are after. If you said you wanted high 500s, I'd say that turbo is right, but for 650 or so hp, I'd say that in order to be clean, you're going to want some more air.

I would suggest if you want to keep your turbo to get 175/75s, WPE ported intake manifold, RR kit, AD150, AND dual HPOPs. That's right, I said it. Dual HPOPs with 175/75s... I'm sure that'll open a can of worms but that's ok. The extra oil may be a little over the top but I guarantee you that you'll get every drop of fuel possible from your injectors. Plus it'll allow you cut your injectors to something big like Charlie's 285/75s and be already to go.

I know it's overkill, but I'm a fan of the AD150 feeding a pump like an A1000 or Fuelab. I know I run an A1000, but if I were to do it over again, I'd get a 41402 Fuelab and run it at 70% output and call it a day. No need for a speed controller to keep the pump from running 100% all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTractorsSexy View Post
Thanks for the vote of confidence man However, I can not honestly say for sure whether my truck is a 600hp truck or not (hence why I removed the number from my signature). That was one run on one dyno and I never backed it up at the track. I'd rather not use my truck as a reference for making power. I believe it was definitely high 500s though.
william_ace and ODAWG714 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.