A Little More Towing Power Wanted - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 05:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A Little More Towing Power Wanted

Hi all. Per the Title, I've been reading and researching for quite a while on this. So much so, I've forgotten what I've learned . So, I'm going to ask for my specific needs. First off, I'm not looking for monster gains. I tow trailers across the Country for a living. I'm looking to put more into suspension upgrades than engine upgrades. In other words, I spend a lot of time on interstates and I get beat up. With that said;
1. I want to upgrade my stock turbo without having to get into a new turbo (i.e. Stage 1,2...etc.) What is recommended? Just a billet wheel? Which one (good, bad, indifferent)? Is there a particular size recommended? Etc.
2. Injectors. 155s/stock? Stock/stock, with said ^ turbo upgrade(s)?
Those are really my main 2 issues. I want to have the correct set up for reasonable power, temps, fuel mileage, etc. I am getting a FICM upgrade (Atlas 40), as well. Anyway, any wisdom and/or advice from you guys is coveted. Also, my goal is to run this set up and purchase a re-manned engine later this year. That's when I plan on "building" a more performance based motor and rebuilding this current motor as a back up. My truck is sitting at 188k miles. Please ask any questions you might have. All that said, I'm basically looking for a bit more bang. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2014, 06:17 AM

I don't see where you have an exhaust. If you do to would say get a 4" turbo back straight pipe, billet compressor wheel (Diesel Site is the most well known), and 155/stock injectors. I personally wouldn't do the injectors if I was planning to build a motor later, but they would add to your power.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6literdiesel View Post
I don't see where you have an exhaust. If you do to would say get a 4" turbo back straight pipe, billet compressor wheel (Diesel Site is the most well known), and 155/stock injectors. I personally wouldn't do the injectors if I was planning to build a motor later, but they would add to your power.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, sorry, I will be getting an exhaust, as well. Not yet decided on 4 or 5". Thanks for the advice/opinion on the injectors, too. If a little more power can be had with just a billet compressor wheel, I can use the injector money somewhere else. Although, I was thinking with my mileage being what it is, at least injectors are on my horizon...? Thanks, again.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:32 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Atlas 40 is a good choice, whose tune are you running?

What tires and gears?
Old 02-12-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_GD View Post
Atlas 40 is a good choice, whose tune are you running?

What tires and gears?
I was thinking of going with PHP for the FICM tuning. If you were asking about ECM tuning...I'm not sure yet. I have read good things on different tune writers. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Stock 20" wheels, 35x12.5x20's Kumho Road Venture MTs (warm months only), stock 3.73 gears (for now). Thanks for the reply. Also, the Carli Commuter 2.0 2.5" suspension is in the plans.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:45 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Carli is a good choice, Kumho's are terrible tires IMO.
A smaller, narrower, road tire would help those highway miles.
Gears are a great investment to consider.

As for the tune, I am an admitted PHP fan boy but I also like the Wildman tunes.

Jay at PHP is a great guy to work with and I would try one of their tunes with the atlas 40 and open up that exhaust before you throw anymore parts at it.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:09 AM

Thanks, again. Especially for the info on the Kumho's (if you don't mind would you elaborate just for my curiosity). May have saved me some money, right there. I really was after some Toyo AT2s, but can't find ANY in stock. ANYWHERE. I've been back and forth on the tire issue so many times, I keep buying the stock tires. Used. So far, they've been great tires. Even used. I know what everyone seems to like, but in my situation, the truck is my office and I need function as well as form. In other words, The Nittos and Toyos MTs are just too expensive for my type of driving. Trying to get all this stuff together so when the warm weather gets here, I can get to installing most of it.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I am Jay from PHP. If you have any questions geared directly towards our product ( even questions that are general topics ) that I miss on here please feel free to give us a call or shoot me a PM. I will be more than happy to assist

Thank you
Jay
Old 02-12-2014, 07:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I would be glad to help you out. Shoot me a PM.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Chatham036 likes this.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatham036 View Post
I am Jay from PHP. If you have any questions geared directly towards our product ( even questions that are general topics ) that I miss on here please feel free to give us a call or shoot me a PM. I will be more than happy to assist

Thank you
Jay
Thanks, Jay. As soon as these "supporting" decisions are made, I will definitely be giving you a call/PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.