Do I need an Airdog? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 09:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Do I need an Airdog?

I have read everything I can find on this subject, and I still don't know the answer. When do you know if you need a setup like an Airdog? I haven't had the chance to check fuel pressure and don't know when I would be able to. I have 190cc/75% injectors, is just knowing that enough to say that I need an aftermarket setup?

Any info on this would be fantastic thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 05:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Airdog or FASS are horrible for the 6.0 and 7.3's stay far far away. Lots of info on here on how bad they suck. Get a A1000 or fuelab pump.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:30 AM
I Like Shiny Things :)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
To answer your question as to "when" do you need to upgrade your system, it's all in your fuel pressure readings. Yes with 190/75s you're pushing the boundaries of the stock fuel system and will probably need some sort of upgrade to keep everything in specs.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you need an aftermarket fuel system build you own around a Fuelab or Aeromotive pump. If you read everything you could find on Airdog you should have seen a bunch of threads about the failure rate of these pumps in the 6.0. Horrible pumps for us and Airdog should be ashamed of themselves for continuing to sell them for the 6.0 and not fixing known problems.

As stated above you really need to monitor your fuel pressure and see what's going on. Odds are good that you need some help there but without real data you won't know anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to PGreenSVT For This Useful Post:
onebadcoastie (02-20-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 07:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I guess I didn't read quite as much as I gave myself credit for! Any links or help as to how to make my own using the mentioned pumps?

Thanks guys!
Old 02-10-2014, 04:07 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
AD II pumps/systems have had horrible lives. My AirDog 100 is rockin' everyday.

Personally a second system that removes air, water and contaminants before the OEM pump is worth it on a stock truck.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:21 PM
Premium Member

I've been reading a lot about the airdog 2 I like that it has built in regulator but way to many horror stories that come with it. But what about the airdog 100/150? Are there very many horror stories that come with that? I am staying stock injectors and stock turbo. Would like to know if the airdog 100/150 would be good for me?
Old 02-18-2014, 10:51 PM
Premium Member

Air dog 100 or 150 are great units, people run em with great success. They use them inbetween the tank and the stock fuel conditioning unit to take some of the load off of it and act like a lift pump. As for the air dog 2. The built in regulator system is terrible, just ask logan "1fsttrx" Basicially when you add an air dog 2 and don't do a fuel bowl delete or regulated return, you end up with 2 different units trying to regulate fuel pressure. I have an ad 150 sittin here waiting to be installed.

The good thing about an ad100 or 150 is that if the pump dies and you have it plumbed inbetween the tank and the stock pump, your stock pump will still run and ull be able to get home.

Andy
Old 02-18-2014, 10:56 PM
Premium Member

Thanks andyjman I think that's what I'm gonna do is an ad150, blue spring, tank sump, and harpoon it while I'm at it. I just needed a little bit more confirmation. One more question. With the set up I just explained can you regulate the pressure?
Old 02-18-2014, 11:21 PM
Premium Member

With an ad100 or 150 the blue spring in your fuel bowl will regulate the pressure. The increased tension the the blue spring produces to push on the little knob in the fuel bowl will cause the pressure in the system to be higher before it allows fuel to leave and go back to the tank. The only real way to actually have a set constant number value as far as fuel psi is concerned is to use a regulated return which will come with an adjustible fuel pressure regulator. It allows for fine tuning of your fuel pressure along with some other benefits as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.