Flex-a-lite 274 electric fans verses stock.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 09:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Flex-a-lite 274 electric fans verses stock..

Has anyone replaced their stock fan setup with one of these..or similar.
http://www.flex-a-lite.com/electric-...uper-duty.html

I thought I read some issues with aftermarket electric fans not pulling enough air due to the removal of the shroud...but this fits right up against the radiator and since it is somewhat sealed around the fans it should not matter about the shroud....I wouldn't think

I ask as for one I tow a 5th wheel and anything that helps with mileage like removing the stock heavy fan..well helps. But not if it sacrifices cooling obviously.

I would not consider this at this time accept I keep getting fan clutch codes and from what I can tell it is not chafing wires. It appears to be the clutch but due to the fact that it is mid winter in Maine and I dont have a heated garage...I am limited to how much troubleshooting i want to do in this cold. So on it's own I probably would not just swap to an electric just for some small mileage gains etc but...if I have to replace the clutch well...cost between the clutch and the electric fans is close enough "we calls it even".

But if I have to replace the fan clutch in the end I would consider an electric setup like this...if it works well. I like the controller option and the fact it also mimics the clutch signal to eliminate the error code?

Anyone have any feedback.

Actually as I look at the website I see that it is new for 2014 ( this version at least)...so no one would have tried one. But maybe other styles have been tried. ( Edited)

Last edited by shughey00; 02-07-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2014, 04:10 PM
Real Men of Genius

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I've always heard that if you tow, just keep the stock fans. The flex-a-lites don't move as much as air as the stock unit does. But that's hearsay. Maybe someone who's had both can give you real world numbers and facts.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:35 PM

I guess one would have to know what the CFM of the stock fan is at max RPM. Maybe I can find that out.

Of course..as you said better if someone who has used one could say for sure.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:59 PM
Real Men of Genius

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
From doing a quick search, no telling how accurate this is, the stock fans move 10k CFM.

Check this thread out... here
Old 02-07-2014, 05:02 PM

Yah I just read that too.

Also read that Flex a lite does not recommend using their fans if you tow over 10K. So ends that idea.

Not a big deal...if it turns out to be a fan clutch that is gone I have plenty of time to fix it when I do the oil cooler etc. Just a thought while I had it all apart and if the flex a lites worked it would open up some room under there.

Oh well......but then again read several threads where guys were towing heavy( supposedly) and did fine.

Not in the position to be the one guy who did not do fine.

Now the ones I am referring to also are not available yet according to Flex a lite..this was not the older setup....does this make a difference...not sure.

Last edited by shughey00; 02-07-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:26 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've ran the flex-a-lite fans with zero issues along with many others. I know guys that have towed with a combined weight(including truck) of22k lbs with no problems what so ever. Even in summer time in stop and go traffic...no problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to strokin6L For This Useful Post:
shughey00 (02-07-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 05:31 PM

I appreciate the response...I think your responses were ones Iw as referring to in previous threads.

I know this design is new as it is not available yet.....although not sure what exactly is different from the older version unless it was that it was not made specifically for the 6.0 at the time?

Again thanks for the response!!
Old 02-07-2014, 05:33 PM

Correct...they just came out with the 6L kit. It is available right now...summit and jegs sells the 6L kit. Most guys including myself ran the flex-a-lite kit for the 7.3 powerstroke.

Last edited by strokin6L; 02-07-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:35 PM

Here's mine...
Attached Thumbnails
Flex-a-lite 274 electric fans verses stock..-001.jpg   Flex-a-lite 274 electric fans verses stock..-251.jpg   Flex-a-lite 274 electric fans verses stock..-252.jpg   Flex-a-lite 274 electric fans verses stock..-255.jpg   Flex-a-lite 274 electric fans verses stock..-256.jpg  

The Following User Says Thank You to strokin6L For This Useful Post:
shughey00 (02-07-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 05:41 PM

How loud are these fans. I would imagin at idle or low speeds it would be louder than a stock fan if they run all the time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.