Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Xtreme Race Vs Looney RESULTS!

3K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  dayusex 
#1 · (Edited)
Been running looney for last about 10-20K miles. Loved the file, was great for day to day driving. Shifting was smooth EGTS were always in the "green", but MPG was about 14-15 at best running #2 with some 2stroke.

Switched to erics Xtreme Race file.

The Trans shifts firmer, feels alot better to me. Though the boss says it shifts to firm, but whatever I like it!. The power is insane! It "feels" alot quicker than the looney file. Specially merging.

This is where things get weeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrdddddddd

Going 65-70 with Dj's Looney I was about 10lbs of boost and 700 on the EGT
Going 65-70 with Erics File im at like 3-5lbs boost with EGT of about 900-1000

Floored with DJ's I can get from 0-80 with egt's peaking at around 1,000
Floored with Erics from 0-60 im at 1300 and climbing.

That freakes me out

No results for MPG yet will post results.

So how does everyone feel about the EGT's and boost is this normal?

See less See more
#2 ·
Been running looney for last about 10-20K miles. Loved the file, was great for day to day driving. Shifting was smooth EGTS were always in the "green", but MPG was about 14-15 at best running #2 with some 2stroke.

Switched to erics Xtreme Race file.

The Trans shifts firmer, feels alot better to me. Though the boss says it shifts to firm, but whatever I like it!. The power is insane! It "feels" alot quicker than the looney file. Specially merging.

This is where things get weeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrdddddddd

Going 65-70 with Dj's Looney I was about 10lbs of boost and 700 on the EGT
Going 65-70 with Erics File im at like 3-5lbs boost with EGT of about 900-1000

Floored with DJ's I can get from 0-80 with egt's peaking at around 1,000
Floored with Erics from 0-60 im at 13,000 and climbing.

That freakes me out

No results for MPG yet will post results.

So how does everyone feel about the EGT's and boost is this normal?

I hope you have an oxygen mask.

#6 ·
:hehe:

gotta be a typo!

#3 ·
The looney wild tune that i run i get over 1200 egts on 0-60... looney i get bout 1100 0-60... I can get as hot as 1550 egt to bout 90 mph... Never tried xtreme race (yet) the boost with looney seems bout right.. i see 8-10lbs at cruising

#4 ·
OK...something is weird, but not with the boost...yes, Eric's tunes boost less...you don't need big boost to get the power, most I EVER boost is 29-30 and that is spraying while racing hard.

As for the EGTs, something don't make sense....13,000? I don't think that is even possible?:dunno:

Most I have seen without spraying is 1440 in the 1/4 at around 100MPH.:nod:

#8 ·
On looney I can get about 35lbs

With Xtreme Race im at about 28-30

#11 · (Edited)
With Xtreme Race im at about 28-30
For boost, that's on the money for an 03 turbo...as for the EGTs, you really mean 13,000 or 1300?

EDIT: N/M...I see that you updated.:thumb: And that's fine as long as you dont keep those temps up there for more then say a 1/4 mi or so. EGTs you have to watch to not burn up your turbo. And those are fine for factory headbolts. Eric keeps his tunes "safer" for factory set ups until the upgrades are there to support the power. He always keeps the timing safe to lower the risk on lifting the heads. Like always, there is no guarantee, but it lessens the risk.:nod::thumb:

#10 ·
you are all OK with temps being that high with stock headbolts?!

#12 ·
Weird cuz egt's are lower for me with xtreme race versus xtreme street.

#13 ·
I've noticed the EGTs are much better controlled in extreme street than looney. When I really keep my foot in it, I've only seen 1500 or so even up through 100 MPH or so from a stop. The EGTs start to come down once you build speed. On looney, I could easily hit 1600 way before 100 MPH.

If the shifting is a little too firm for your taste, back it down 10-20%. It shifts as smooth as stock there, and it shouldn't hurt longevity since it reverts to Eric's setting under WOT. Just don't touch the WOT settings.

#15 ·
Keep into it and the temps will drop back down. You can't just gun it for 300ft and expect the temps to never get above 1200, that just isn't going to happen with any power tune. If you keep into it I am sure that you will find them coming back down to around 1250, which is perfect.

#17 ·
IF your on the race track, the best thing you can do is put a piece of duct tape over the pyro....don't worry about egt's on the track.

#18 ·
i have also ran both, djs tunes were nice but nothing compared to erics, my mpg is better with erics and my 1/4 times are WAY quicker with erics. with djs tune i couldn run better then a 14 flat, switched to erics tune and the truck went 13.4

and so on and so on

#22 ·
well I have to say so far im in love with the tune file! Its weird but once I put like 1000lbs in the bed for some reason the EGT's dropped like 100 degrees. And im talkign about like a 1 hour drive to pickup, a 30 minute load, then a 1 hour drive back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.