New Turbo - MPG's Dropped - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2014, 11:29 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Turbo - MPG's Dropped

I had a new Garrett Powermax turbo installed a few months ago and since then my MPG's have dropped by 2-3. The weather turned cold shortly after it was installed so I thought that this turbo just hates the cold so I installed a FIA grille cover but that didn't seem to make any difference in MPG's. Truck is an 05 F250. All stock except for a BPD EGR cooler and a coolant filter. I took a ~900 mile trip over Christmas and only once did I get normal fuel mileage, ~16-17, and that was going a steady 60MPH. I don't drive like an *** and I keep the RPM's around 2k when accelerating and the only thing that has changed was the new turbo. I thought maybe a fuel filter so I changed both and they looked fine. Only thing I noticed was the one underneath the drivers side door was hard to get out and the new one the same to put in. I had thought I just did it by hand the first time I changed them but I needed the ratchet most of the way this time. EGR valve was cleaned last summer when I replaced the oil cooler and all that. I'm really thinking about putting the stock turbo back in. I can't afford to drive this thing at 8MPG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2014, 11:45 AM
Premium Member

Winter fuel is probably the culprit. It may also be the tune you are using. Just putting on a turbo like the PMax without making any adjustments could reduce your economy.
HeavyAssault likes this.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:32 PM
Premium Member

I'd say it's the fact that you don't have specific tuning for the powermax. Try getting a custom tune and see how it does.
HeavyAssault likes this.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:15 PM

I figured I would have to get it tuned, just didn't want to spend another ~$500-$600 to get it working. Will have to keep an eye out on eBay for a SCT X3 3000. I sent an email awhile ago to Innovative Diesel asking about their tunes. I was looking at their Xtreme Street, Street, and Tow. I do need to ask them if/how much I could tow with the Xtreme Street tune. Hopefully my MPG's will come back as the weather warms up and I can look into getting it tuned.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I now know that cold weather effects the fuel mileage big time. Last summer I pulled my 15000 pound RV and got 12 MPG + or - a little. On Jan 4 I left Illinois headed for Central Texas, that 900 miles I averaged 9.0 mpg. I had lots of side wind and some tail wind but never head winds. the temperature ranged 20-50 degrees. When it was below freezing the mileage 8 to 9 mpg. There was period of 50 degree but as cooled 30 degrees I watched the average drop from 12 to 9 MPG and was all in a couple hours on the same tank of fuel. The boost run close to 20psig when the fuel mileage was less than 10 mpg.
Clay
Early 2011 6.7 F350 Dually CC LB
37 foot Fifth Wheel RV
Old 02-04-2014, 03:11 AM

I am having the same issues on my 04. MPG has dropped from 14-16 to 12 around town. I have a Banks six gun on it but have not turned it up yet,has been on tow tune.
Hope you get it worked out
Old 02-04-2014, 04:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Winter fuel will drop mpg no doubt. But you can't expect to get a way bigger turbo then not expect to get the tunes that are needed to make it efficient. You'll get better mpg, efficiency and driveability. It's worth it
HeavyAssault likes this.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh View Post
Winter fuel will drop mpg no doubt. But you can't expect to get a way bigger turbo then not expect to get the tunes that are needed to make it efficient. You'll get better mpg, efficiency and driveability. It's worth it

^^^^^This^^^^^

You're going to have to tune it. Get a tune specifically for the PMax. A billet wheel will help too, but not with mileage. The billet wheel will help with spool up and dead spots you'll encounter while towing. You'll have to drive the truck tuned all the time. The stock file isn't gonna cut it.

At MAD TURBO WERKS, we deal with this constantly. We have recently teamed with PHP to offer their tuning with our turbos got optimal performance.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-04-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWilbur516 View Post
A billet wheel will help too, but not with mileage.
Sent from AutoGuide.com App
For me a billet wheel not only helped with spool up, it helped city mileage some as well due to the decreased effort in spooling.
The Following User Says Thank You to U235a4 For This Useful Post:
Karls03 (02-06-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 11:22 AM

Yep, what others have said, regardless of what the sales guy told you, there is no bolt in or on aftermarket Turbo. 2005's are the hardest to tune but Eric can and will take care of you. There are others out there too that can tune these trucks with a P-Max.

If you wonder where your 2 -3 MPG's have gone just look in your rear view mirror, or the passenger mirror down low. Smoke = Badddddd

D
The Following User Says Thank You to colonel angus For This Useful Post:
Karls03 (02-06-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.